Should we remove tax exempt status for Mosque?

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?
No, rather we should remove all mosques from America!
...and this is coming from the right.

this idea was floated around a few years ago by the left. The said it wasn't an attempt to destroy churches by cutting into their revenue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Why not remove the tax exempt status of mosque?
donations to any religion should be of the books.

but they all charge for certain services, that business, that's profit and they should all pony up.

We should remove the tax exempt status for all organized religions.
When the churches start paying $$ to the government, you've eliminated the separation of church and state. You do realize that, right?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

When the government exempts religions from laws it is violating the first amendment because laws that exempt religions from taxes are laws that respect the establishment of religion

There is no separation of church and state mentioned in the constitution

Constitutional Myth #4: The Constitution Doesn't Separate Church and State

John Adams signed the 1797 Treaty with Tripoli, which reassured that Muslim nation that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

The idea is that the Framers desired a Christian nation, in which government oversaw the spiritual development of the people by reminding them of their religious duties and subsidizing the churches where they worship. "Establishment of religion," in this reading, simply means that no single Christian denomination could be officially favored. But official prayers, exhortations to faith, religious monuments, and participation by church bodies in government were all part of the "original intent," the argument goes.

Because the words "separation of church and state" do not appear in the Constitution, the argument runs, the document provides for merger of the two.

It's bosh: ahistorical, untextual, illogical.

Yes, and for Churches, Synagogues and all other religious buildings. They're just profit making enterprises anyway.

Well, um, does it meet the legal requirements for tax exemption?

Churches and religious organizations, like many other charitable organizations, qualify for exemption from federal income tax under IRC Section 501(c)(3) and are generally eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. To qualify for tax-exempt status, the organization must meet the following requirements (covered in greater detail throughout this publication):

the organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific or other charitable purposes;

net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder;

no substantial part of its activity may be attempting to influence legislation;

the organization may not intervene in political campaigns; and

the organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

If it meets these requirements, then "I don't like Muslims" is not a good enough reason on its own.

I prefer shutting them down altogether. They're nothing but recruitment centers for terrorists. Islam advocates murder and those who teach it do the same, therefore it should be outlawed.

Untrue. There really are peaceful Muslims in the world, just trying to live their lives like everyone else. Granted, most of them probably aren't fundamentalists, but they're out there. And if they're American citizens, then they have the same right to worship and exercise their freedom of religion as anyone else.

Just Mosques, no...all religious institutions, yes. The only thing that should be tax exempt for them is there charitable work.

Unless you're planning to revoke ALL tax exemptions for non-profit organizations, you can take your bigotry and persecution right on down the road.

Shut down the mosques. And when muslims go to Mecca, don't let them back in the country.

One of the nicest people at my work is a Muslim lady (obviously, she's not fundamentalist, or she wouldn't have a job). It makes me feel bad that people like her get lumped in with the screaming savages who, if they had their way, would persecute and murder her just the same as any of us Christians, Jews, or atheists.

ALL houses of worship should lose their tax exempt status.

Why? Explain to me how you've really thought this through, rather than just kneejerked to "I don't like religious people! Aaaaagh!!!"

Hell yeah, remove their tax exempt status. It's clearly unconstitutional because it is a violation of the 1st amendment.

It is not even within the Federal government's purview to decide what is or is not a religious institution in the first place.

Really? Show me the clause in the First Amendment that requires that churches be excluded from the same provisions as other non-profit organizations.

...Muslim Americans....

so let me guess..., you are in favor of having radical muslime recruitment centers for violence and total destruction of America and American values and traditions.

am i right??

of course i am, i am rarely ever wrong about liberlefties condoning violence and mayhem
. :up:

Forum List

Back