Shutdown Fallout Effects....

-------------------------------------- so they can apply for unemployment money and benefits eh . Thats what i thought but wasn't sure so thanks for confirming .
If they're furloughed they'd be eligible and can apply for unemployement. If they still have a job and are reporting to work but just not getting paid, I have no idea how that would work. Not only does it not seem fair, it doesn't sound legal either.
---------------------------------- i say thank you because you might be right , might be wrong Mariyam .
What I mean by "it doesn't sound legal" is that if they were anyone other than government employees is would not be lawful to have people working for you and then not paying them as agreed.

I never though I'd see the day I'd have compassion for TSA workers after some of the things they've put me through but I don't believe it's right or legal to make people work without paying them. Getting paid eventually doesn't help if you lose things you've worked hard for like your home, vehicle, money invested in obtaining a degree or certification simply because you don't have access to money that you've already earned.

Nobody is forcing them to do anything. If they don't want to work a job without timely pay, they can get a job in the private sector.

Hey Ray, wanna know one of the many reasons I joined the military? It was because at the time, the pay in the military was one of the things you could count on getting, not having to wait to get paid. But, that changed in the 90's when they shut down the government and I had to work for over half a month, wondering when I would get paid.

Same thing with most government workers that I knew over the years. One of the things they liked about their job was the fact that their paychecks were never late, and they got paid on time.

My how things have changed over the years.

But, for check security, I'd still take a government job over a private sector job any day of the week. Why? Up until recently, it was a guaranteed check, whereas in the private sector, businesses go belly up, or they cut back and have layoffs.

That works both ways. A lifelong friend of mine called me many years ago asking if my company was looking for any drivers? At the time we actually were because my employer was considering expanding. So I set him up with my boss for an interview.

He had a great gravy job as a school bus driver. He loved going to work. Working extra hours for field trips and football games was even better yet. So why was he looking for a new job? Because here we vote on school levies, and when they fail, bus drivers are the first to get laid off.

Because he worked two jobs, he was not eligible for unemployment. He was a guy who wanted a stay-at-home wife who also home schooled their children. He needed a guaranteed income that he couldn't depend on driving for the school.

So he gave up that taxpayer dependent job and has been working for us for nearly 25 years.

If they don't want to work a job without timely pay, they can get a job in the private secto
I would love to see what contract they had to sign when they accepted work for the government that says unlike everyone else, if the government so chooses, they can require them to work without pay or being paid in a timely manner.

To my understanding, no one works because they have nothing better to do, they generally work because they need the money they earn which is why it's a serious offense to not pay someone for the work they've done even if you're firing them for doing a crappy job.

To be honest, people haven't been forced to work since we ended slavery. If you don't want to work and wait for the pay, you simply have to work somewhere else. I mean.....if you are going to work for the government, you have to expect these problems to arise every now and then. When they do, you have to be prepared.

If they're furloughed they'd be eligible and can apply for unemployement. If they still have a job and are reporting to work but just not getting paid, I have no idea how that would work. Not only does it not seem fair, it doesn't sound legal either.
---------------------------------- i say thank you because you might be right , might be wrong Mariyam .
What I mean by "it doesn't sound legal" is that if they were anyone other than government employees is would not be lawful to have people working for you and then not paying them as agreed.

I never though I'd see the day I'd have compassion for TSA workers after some of the things they've put me through but I don't believe it's right or legal to make people work without paying them. Getting paid eventually doesn't help if you lose things you've worked hard for like your home, vehicle, money invested in obtaining a degree or certification simply because you don't have access to money that you've already earned.

Nobody is forcing them to do anything. If they don't want to work a job without timely pay, they can get a job in the private sector.

Hey Ray, wanna know one of the many reasons I joined the military? It was because at the time, the pay in the military was one of the things you could count on getting, not having to wait to get paid. But, that changed in the 90's when they shut down the government and I had to work for over half a month, wondering when I would get paid.

Same thing with most government workers that I knew over the years. One of the things they liked about their job was the fact that their paychecks were never late, and they got paid on time.

But, for check security, I'd still take a government job over a private sector job any day of the week. Why? Up until recently, it was a guaranteed check, whereas in the private sector, businesses go belly up, or they cut back and have layoffs.

That works both ways. A lifelong friend of mine called me many years ago asking if my company was looking for any drivers? At the time we actually were because my employer was considering expanding. So I set him up with my boss for an interview.

He had a great gravy job as a school bus driver. He loved going to work. Working extra hours for field trips and football games was even better yet. So why was he looking for a new job? Because here we vote on school levies, and when they fail, bus drivers are the first to get laid off.

Because he worked two jobs, he was not eligible for unemployment. He was a guy who wanted a stay-at-home wife who also home schooled their children. He needed a guaranteed income that he couldn't depend on driving for the school.

So he gave up that taxpayer dependent job and has been working for us for nearly 25 years.

Federal employees are very hard to fire. It almost takes an act of Congress to do so. When I was stationed in Newport RI, there was an ESO (Educational Services Officer), who was a civilian at PSD there, and he was responsible for ordering, administering, and mailing in the Navy Wide Advancement Exams for making rank.

Well, one test cycle, he wasn't at his best, and let quite a few things slip through the cracks. One of which was that he failed to mail in the examinations, and invalidated a lot of tests for people which was a VERY huge deal. A normal military person would have been court martialed and kicked out of the military. Him? They had an investigation, he continued to show up for work, and somehow, they found that he wasn't really at fault, and he kept his job as a civilian clerk at PSD, but he lost his title as ESO.

Sorry, but it is extremely hard to fire a federal government worker.

Federal employees are very hard to fire. It almost takes an act of Congress to do so. When I was stationed in Newport RI, there was an ESO (Educational Services Officer), who was a civilian at PSD there, and he was responsible for ordering, administering, and mailing in the Navy Wide Advancement Exams for making rank.

Well, one test cycle, he wasn't at his best, and let quite a few things slip through the cracks. One of which was that he failed to mail in the examinations, and invalidated a lot of tests for people which was a VERY huge deal. A normal military person would have been court martialed and kicked out of the military. Him? They had an investigation, he continued to show up for work, and somehow, they found that he wasn't really at fault, and he kept his job as a civilian clerk at PSD, but he lost his title as ESO.

If that's the case, then I don't think the government would fire people who didn't come into work for no pay and had to depend on other sources for immediate income. I think even an employer in the private sector would have to respect that.

If that's the case, then I don't think the government would fire people who didn't come into work for no pay and had to depend on other sources for immediate income. I think even an employer in the private sector would have to respect that.

When I went through the shutdown in the 90's, all the furloughed workers were free to do what they wanted. The only ones on the base that were determined "essential" were the military, and some of the higher ranking civilians. Those who showed up for work because they were essential knew they would eventually get their check, but would have to figure out how to make it work until then.

Furloughed workers are different from essential personnel who are still working.

When I went through the shutdown in the 90's, all the furloughed workers were free to do what they wanted. The only ones on the base that were determined "essential" were the military, and some of the higher ranking civilians. Those who showed up for work because they were essential knew they would eventually get their check, but would have to figure out how to make it work until then.

Furloughed workers are different from essential personnel who are still working.

Well I think the media is playing this for all it's worth. The first paycheck they missed was yesterday for crying out loud, yet they are showing stories of government workers at food pantries.

Plus if they are applicable for unemployment benefits, in a sense they are getting double pay for those not working at all.

while Trump cries to cameras about protecting America , his actions actually do the opposite.

If getting rid of illegals is such an important focus , then you should want to end the shutdown .

Maybe use wall money to find more courts and judges so we can get through the huge immigration court backlogs .

Immigration courts at a standstill during government shutdown, undermining President Trump's agenda

Far from the president’s rallying cry of “securing our border,” delaying court hearings puts additional strain on the immigration system, while allowing those who would have been deported to stay in the country for possibly years longer as they await new court dates.
Lol he is such a moron. Of course, his brain dead supporters will desperately try to defend him on this.
Trump is getting his jollies enjoying the shit show he's created. He's deranged, he's a maniac who doesn't give a rats ass if this wall is built or not.

Your butt hurt , Trump could give you a million dollars and you would still bitch, its in a liberals DNA.
And anyone who thinks Trump has principles is a fool. It's not about the wall, it's about him. He moved The Apprentice from NBC to the White House. We're all contestants in his game.

Well there is one National Park Service site that is going to remain open. Just one, the old Post Office Tower in DC, which is part of, you can't make this up, the TRUMP HOTEL.

I can tell you this, our forefathers would have already ran Trump's ass out of town on a rail, after tarring and feathering him. His supporters are utter fools.

Hillary lost, get over it pin head. You have TDS.
View attachment 239708
Oh there it is lol. Not a day goes by without a con on this forum deflecting to talking about Hillary when they can’t defend Trump.

Only a lesser thinking fool thinks a wall only will keep illegals out. You need a lot more agents per mile to patrol it. Common sense unless of course you are one of the snowflakes who believes otherwise.
10dc8bff8023b0954bf200aabec7edfb.jpg

Only a lesser thinking fool thinks a wall only will keep illegals out. You need a lot more agents per mile to patrol it. Common sense unless of course you are one of the snowflakes who believes otherwise.

I wonder if all these people who are in favor of a wall ever thought about the manpower and money it took for China to build and maintain theirs? Over the 5,500 miles that China built for theirs, they had over 25,000 watchtowers on it.

Yea, China knows the importance of keeping out the rats and dirt bags.

build the WALL and hire more BP seems ok to me . Or don't , saving the millenals and their kids hardly seems worthwhile to me after reading what they say and reading what they think BSailor . .

while Trump cries to cameras about protecting America , his actions actually do the opposite.

If getting rid of illegals is such an important focus , then you should want to end the shutdown .

Maybe use wall money to find more courts and judges so we can get through the huge immigration court backlogs .

Immigration courts at a standstill during government shutdown, undermining President Trump's agenda

Far from the president’s rallying cry of “securing our border,” delaying court hearings puts additional strain on the immigration system, while allowing those who would have been deported to stay in the country for possibly years longer as they await new court dates.

By that reasoning we should just destroy the existing fence and have open borders, that way we can spend way more money on courts to keep shipping the illegals out!

Maybe some of you can clarify something for me. It is not "lawful" to employ someone and then refuse to pay them. In fact, that's pretty much a sure fire way to get into a whole lot of legal trouble irrespective of how poor of an employee or how poorly they performed as your employee.

So under what set of exceptions does our federal government, who by the way created and enforces the original laws protecting workers rights (U.S. Department of Labor), get to violate the laws that would get any other employer sanctioned, in the very least?

And just as an aside, if you are employed by a company in the City of Seattle and your employer refuses to pay you, you can file a police report and have your employer investigated and criminally prosecuted for failing to pay you. There are several things I admire about the City of Seattle proper and this is one of them:

Wage Theft
Employers can be criminally prosecuted for failing to pay wages promised to their workers. If an employer is convicted of the gross misdemeanor, the City can also revoke the employer's business license.

A worker who believes he/she has been paid less that the minimum wage, or forced to work off the clock, or not paid for all the hours work, or not paid the amount promised, or not paid overtime, can file a complaint by:
SPD will investigate and forward its report to the Criminal Division for a decision on whether to file the charge. Then Criminal Division attorneys will work with the victim toward making a provable case.

To strengthen its efforts against wage theft, the City agreed recently to share information and coordinate enforcement efforts with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor.

"Enforcement of wage theft crimes is much more than just recovering money owed to the worker who earned it," City Attorney Pete Holmes says. "Holding employers accountable for wage theft is a matter of preserving human dignity and protecting those who are most vulnerable in our community."
Wage Theft - CityAttorney | seattle.gov

I hate to tell you this, but those workers WILL be paid. That negates every bit of your overblown argument.

It is to be expected from someone living in the People's Republic of Seattle. That is the only place I have ever visited that experiences traffic jams on interstate highways at midnight involving no accidents or construction delays.
Why do you always have to be such an asshole about everything? It's not MY argument, this is settled case law. You don't like it, take it up with the legislators who wrote and passed the bills into law.

Besides, being paid eventually is not the same thing as being paid on time. Do you know how much damage can occur when people don't have access to the money they've earned and are unable to meet their financial obligations? No need to reply because of course you know.

So what is your suggestion, that government conduct themselves so workers get paid on time instead of policies they believe need to be implemented?
Trump will save them. Now that he can claim the longest government shutdown on record, he will end it by declaring a national emergency and taking the money that congress won't give him. He will be both responsible for shutting government down and ending the shutdown.

I believe that is his next and only possible move. He can't back down like he did last time. People on the right were very pissed about that. Back then he promised us that next time, he won't back down from the wall, and he's not.

It's really to the point Trump has no choice even if he wanted to just re-open the government. Continued Resolutions are just kicking the can down the road and usually ends up with people forgetting about the problems. They also really piss-off Republican voters. We're still funding PBS, NPR, Planned Parenthood, sanctuary cities just to name a few because of how many times Republicans have backed down. And I really believe that without Trump, the Republican party would be fragmenting and talk about starting a new--more conservative party.
What do you know, we agree on something. Trump has no choice but to declare a national emergency.

However, consider this. Within 48 hours, his national emergency proclamation will be in the courts and the issue may not be decided for months. So if Trump immediately agrees to open goverment and the courts rule against him or delay the decision, he's screwed. He apparent realized this because he said today that just because he declares a national emergency doesn't mean government will reopen.

We have hundreds of thousands of government workers on the job working without pay. This includes TSA inspectors, Flight Controllers, FBI agents, CIA agents, DEA agents, border patrol, national park rangers, and security personnel in over 10,000 federal federal buildings. Imagine having people doing critical jobs we depend on for our safety working without pay for months, which is what Trump expects. That's absolutely insane. When people are forced to work without pay, moral goes in the shit can, they become complacent, fail to show up at work, take on temp jobs, and many of course will just walk off the job.

Do you think terrorist are not taking note of this. If the government is shutdown for months as Trump expects we going have some real national emergencies.

Congress gets payed while we get played!

hey, this is crazy! i'm a federal employee, so pay me, maybe?

If there is an order that government workers effected by the shutdown will get back pay, why are many applying for unemployment benefits?

I've been wondering the same thing. It looks like fraud to me.
They need the money. Most probably, unemployment benefits will reduce their backpack. You can not collect back pay and unemployment for the same period without an adjustment.

Where do Border Fences work? Everywhere
-------------------------------------------------------------- thanks Ray , and we are getting a few more in Eastern European countries from what i read . Fences and WALLS only make good sense as well as Guards on the Border . ThanksRay !!.

If they don't want to work a job without timely pay, they can get a job in the private secto
I would love to see what contract they had to sign when they accepted work for the government that says unlike everyone else, if the government so chooses, they can require them to work without pay or being paid in a timely manner.

To my understanding, no one works because they have nothing better to do, they generally work because they need the money they earn which is why it's a serious offense to not pay someone for the work they've done even if you're firing them for doing a crappy job.

To be honest, people haven't been forced to work since we ended slavery. If you don't want to work and wait for the pay, you simply have to work somewhere else. I mean.....if you are going to work for the government, you have to expect these problems to arise every now and then. When they do, you have to be prepared.
I don't know any employer that expects their people to work without pay for extended periods. That's crazy.

Well I think the media is playing this for all it's worth. The first paycheck they missed was yesterday for crying out loud, yet they are showing stories of government workers at food pantries.

Plus if they are applicable for unemployment benefits, in a sense they are getting double pay for those not working at all.
Millions of workers are one paycheck away from the streets. Millions more live from paycheck to paycheck I know several people that have no savings, no pay check, then no groceries, no rent payment, etc.

What we're hearing now is mostly fear. After missing another paycheck or so, a lot of people are going to be desperate. People that are furrowed are eligible for unemployment. Those that are working without pay aren't.

If this goes on another month or so, we are going have massive walkouts in critical jobs and Trump will have deal with it.

Last edited:

Oops bad news, pal! That company you drive for has fallen on hard times & needs to realign. So in the meantime you wont get paid for a few weeks. But, you'll be expected to show up bright & early come Monday ready to hit the pavement. I'm sure you won't mind working for free for a while.

Enjoy yourself, the company knows you're on their side!:5_1_12024:

Oops bad news, pal! That company you drive for has fallen on hard times & needs to realign. So in the meantime you wont get paid for a few weeks. But, you'll be expected to show up bright & early come Monday ready to hit the pavement. I'm sure you won't mind working for free for a while.

Enjoy yourself, the company knows you're on their side!:5_1_12024:

No problem, I'm always prepared. Got enough money to make it for a few months and if I run out of that, I have plenty of credit cards in my drawer; some I haven't used in years if ever. When I finally get paid I'll replace the cash I took out of my checking account or if on credit, payoff the credit card I borrowed from. No big deal. All my cards are 0% interest rate.

Forum List

Back