🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Since when does the Catholic Church have the right to force their religious values...

The polls have been showing for decades that most Catholic women use birth control.

Whether individual Catholics use it or not is not the issue. They will not see the issue as that. The issue is that the Church does not. Catholics can and do differentiate between the individual and the official policy of the Church. They will - if pushed (like they are being with Obama) - support the Church's official policy, regardless of their individual choices. They will see it for what it is... an attack on our faith. And so will other faiths... because they already are seeing it that way.

You are looking at it from a very simplistic attitude. It is not a simple issue. It is not about the individuals - it is about the Church.

You never answered my question as to whether or not you use birth control. Was that too personal?

The issue is business regulation, not religious freedom. A Catholic university is not a house of worship, it is a business enterprise. It hires non-Catholics and Catholics alike under the business and labor laws of the United States, which has the right to regulate business.

It is discrimination against the employees to exempt a Church business from an otherwise applicable law.

If the principle you want applied were legitimate, then it would entitle the Church's businesses to hire ONLY Catholics, or, even, only women who swore to never use birth control.

Curious...

I assume you supported the bailouts of Chrysler and GM.....and I assume you supported the stiumulus plan..

Now....using those assumptions...

What right does the government have to pick and choose what companies should get stimulus money or bailout money....

and if they have the right to pick and choose...

Why cant they pick and choose who should be exempt from a law that would infringe on the religious convictions of an employer?

The government needs to get out of the business of supporting faith based charities..post haste.

those faith based charities do for the people with no strings attached.

Government does for the people with strings attached.

Given a choice, I want my tax money going to faith based charities.

No they don't. Hence this situation.

They're are plenty of strings that come along with faith based help.

And there is the constitionality of it.

when the church opens its doors to the hungry of ANY faith, what strings are attached?

Can't stand the competition huh? Charities make it tougher on entitlements I guess.

It always makes me laugh when idiots pronounce that the government should 'get out' of supporting faith based charities or that faith based charities should not receive government funding. They clearly have no concept of the 'law of unintended consequences'. Much like their bullshit about 'tax the churches'.... never actually research that before they form their halfwitted opinions. They just regurgitate crap.

When the charity gets my tax money, it becomes a dispenser of government 'entitlements'.

Without that 'dispenser', you'd be paying a lot more.

The government doesn't give you a choice. They want Catholics forced to pay for the abortions and birth control of all.

when the church opens its doors to the hungry of ANY faith, what strings are attached?

None. But facts are not required when group think is involved.

Aside from the proselytizing and requirements for employees?

None I suppose. :lol:

The issue is business regulation, not religious freedom. A Catholic university is not a house of worship, it is a business enterprise. It hires non-Catholics and Catholics alike under the business and labor laws of the United States, which has the right to regulate business.

with that kind of reasoning one could say that the various Departments of the government such as HHS should not be in the business of setting up their plethora of rules and regulations either....or even being involved in government......all should be done exclusively in Congress.....

Last edited:
It always makes me laugh when idiots pronounce that the government should 'get out' of supporting faith based charities or that faith based charities should not receive government funding. They clearly have no concept of the 'law of unintended consequences'. Much like their bullshit about 'tax the churches'.... never actually research that before they form their halfwitted opinions. They just regurgitate crap.

When the charity gets my tax money, it becomes a dispenser of government 'entitlements'.

That's just made-up nonsense.

If churches want to become arms of the government then they can check their churchie beliefs at the door and comply with the secular laws.

If churches want to become arms of the government then they can check their churchie beliefs at the door and comply with the secular laws.

It's not 'made up'. It's fact. Without the services provided on top of those funded by government, someone would have to pay for those services. Many churches believe they have a Christian duty to perform those services - they are the services talked about by Christ. The Government uses Churches to provide those services because it is good value for money - it doesn't cost the government as much as it would if those services were not provided by the church. Do the damned math. It is not hard.

Your problem is you allow your bias to influence your opinion. Do the fucking math. Look at the actual issue, and stop getting your group think points from bullshit media.

Whether individual Catholics use it or not is not the issue. They will not see the issue as that. The issue is that the Church does not. Catholics can and do differentiate between the individual and the official policy of the Church. They will - if pushed (like they are being with Obama) - support the Church's official policy, regardless of their individual choices. They will see it for what it is... an attack on our faith. And so will other faiths... because they already are seeing it that way.

You are looking at it from a very simplistic attitude. It is not a simple issue. It is not about the individuals - it is about the Church.

You never answered my question as to whether or not you use birth control. Was that too personal?

It is discrimination against the employees to exempt a Church business from an otherwise applicable law.

If the principle you want applied were legitimate, then it would entitle the Church's businesses to hire ONLY Catholics, or, even, only women who swore to never use birth control.

Curious...

I assume you supported the bailouts of Chrysler and GM.....and I assume you supported the stiumulus plan..

What right does the government have to pick and choose what companies should get stimulus money or bailout money....

Why cant they pick and choose who should be exempt from a law that would infringe on the religious convictions of an employer?

This is not about what the government can or can't do by changing the law, or passing a law.

It's about what is right. Allowing one set of businesses to avoid providing their employees a benefit that is the law for every other business in the country is discrimination.

Curious...

This is not about what the government can or can't do by changing the law, or passing a law.

It's about what is right. Allowing one set of businesses to avoid providing their employees a benefit that is the law for every other business in the country is discrimination.

Which is why the government needs to get out of this "business".

Religion by it's very nature is discriminatory.

then tax money from religious people should not go to secular government......:iagree:

Curious...

Oh, so now it's about what is right? It wasn't when Obama waivered his big business buddies... that was fine... not a peep from the group think left.... now, it's a religious institution... so now it's about what is right.

How about your president making good on the promise he made to that church? If you're now concerned about 'right'... surely, he should keep his promises? Wouldn't that qualify as 'right'? Or is the left ok with lying as long as it's your side getting what you want?

And you wonder why I call y'all hypocrites. Seriously. This is fucking laughable. :lol:

It's not 'made up'. It's fact. Without the services provided on top of those funded by government, someone would have to pay for those services. Many churches believe they have a Christian duty to perform those services - they are the services talked about by Christ. The Government uses Churches to provide those services because it is good value for money - it doesn't cost the government as much as it would if those services were not provided by the church. Do the damned math. It is not hard.

Your problem is you allow your bias to influence your opinion. Do the fucking math. Look at the actual issue, and stop getting your group think points from bullshit media.

And you conveniently ignored the last line of my post.

...on their non Catholic employees?

Churches are exempt from the ruling.

However, religious institutions that employ and serve people outside their faith -- hospitals, elementary schools, universities -- have to comply with the requirement to cover birth control if they offer health insurance coverage for employees. That means such Catholic institutions, which employ and serve wide swaths of non-Catholics across the country, will not be exempt, despite church teachings against use of contraception.

Obama Administration's New Contraception Rule Puts Key Catholic Vote at Risk

What gives the Catholic church (or any church, for that matter) the right to force their religious convictions on employees who aren't even catholic?

Better question...

What gives an employee the right to force their lack of belief in the convictions of the Catholic Church on the Catholic Church?

This is a free country. If you dont agree with your empoloyer, you have the right to quit your job. It happens everyday.

We are a secular nation, where the secular laws of the nation are supreme, including in the regulation of business.

A church running a business has no right to substitute Church Law for US Law. Even you should be able to understand that.

And you conveniently ignored the last line of my post.

Because it was crap. We didn't 'want' to. It is our duty. A requirement. We did not go to the government and ask them for money - they came to us and offered it. They said 'you provide the service so we will pay you xxx to do so'. It was the right thing to do - for the tax payer. Charities, churches, are best placed to deliver those services. We do it cheaper, and we do it better. There is very rarely any fraud, or misuse of government money in charities or churches. At least, not in mine - and I assume (perhaps I should not) that other faiths operate similarly. We are good value for money. And we care about what we're doing. We're not doing it for the pay check - like government employees.

You should be thanking those charities and those churches, not discriminating against them.

...on their non Catholic employees?

Churches are exempt from the ruling.

What gives the Catholic church (or any church, for that matter) the right to force their religious convictions on employees who aren't even catholic?

Better question...

What gives an employee the right to force their lack of belief in the convictions of the Catholic Church on the Catholic Church?

This is a free country. If you dont agree with your empoloyer, you have the right to quit your job. It happens everyday.

We are a secular nation, where the secular laws of the nation are supreme, including in the regulation of business.

A church running a business has no right to substitute Church Law for US Law. Even you should be able to understand that.

And yet again, the fucking businesses got their fucking waivers. And they are for profit. We aren't. This is about a contempt for Christianity, nothing more.

Hypocrite.

Forum List

Back