Slavery reparations?

Are you for or against slavery reparations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Sunni for the idea (sorta) re: 40 acres and a mule. :)

For.

We kidnapped them, enslaved them, should pay backwages. Fair's fair.

Who's we?

Were you on those boats? I sure as fuck wasn't.

Which black people were kidnapped? Have them step forward and we'll round up the guilty parties. . . not their kin, mind you, or other people who happen to share the same skin color as them. . . that'd be racist. No, let's round up the criminals responsible for these crimes and we'll make them pay what's due to the victims. I'd be happy to pay reparations to anyone who I kidnapped or enslaved, but if you can't find anyone I did that to, no, I don't support having my money taken to make them whole.

Ok not YOUR money ?

then how about every land owner who gained their land by inheriting it from a slave owner.

we take that property and sell it to the highest bidder and then deliver the funds to anyone who can prove they had a slave in their family history.

We didn't let the Nazis kids keep the things they stole off the dead bodies of jews huh

Since the trillions of dollars we have spent in welfare payments (disproportionately to the descendants of former slaves) aren't enough, I propose that white slavery be instituted for the next 400 years.

Sounds like a way to ensure that there is no fraud.

Should barack obama receive reparations? His children? Should the President's daughters receive the same share as someone who could prove 100% descendancy?

Yes. Unless you have a way to determine that there was no mental, physical, economical, or academic advantage lost. Somehow I think that the first two would stop you in your tracks every time. Just because someone succeeded in spite of does not change the obligation to pay.

barack obama is not descended from slaves. He deserves nothing for skin color. From what I understand, his wife can trace her roots back to slavery, though her great great great grandfather was Irish.
I guess that makes her 90% slave black, making her daughters 45% slave black

So, how would you divvy up the pot?

barack gets nothing? Or a full share based on skin color.

Interestingly, the only slave blood in the Presidents lineage comes from his mother's side. His mother's line has been traced to the first black slave in the Colonies, John Punch.

Since the trillions of dollars we have spent in welfare payments (disproportionately to the descendants of former slaves) aren't enough, I propose that white slavery be instituted for the next 400 years.

White people receive welfare. The welfare system was made specifically for them. Learn your history.

If these supposed reparations were to go to the heirs of slaves (none of the damaged parties still being alive) it would prove problematic to say the least to identify exactly who constitutes said heirs. Surely no direct offspring of the former slaves are still living, and those who might claim some degree of relation would be great in number indeed. Even very generous reparations would amount to a pittance once fully distributed to all those with a claim, and would of course include many people who are not 'black.'

Then there is the question of fairness in using federal resources that rightly belong as well to Americans whose families - like mine - were nowhere near America during slavery or even long after.

Immediately after the ratification of the 13th Amendment it would have been a good idea, but it seems too much time has passed for it to be a practical consideration at this point.

Sounds like a way to ensure that there is no fraud.

Should barack obama receive reparations? His children? Should the President's daughters receive the same share as someone who could prove 100% descendancy?

Yes. Unless you have a way to determine that there was no mental, physical, economical, or academic advantage lost. Somehow I think that the first two would stop you in your tracks every time. Just because someone succeeded in spite of does not change the obligation to pay.

barack obama is not descended from slaves. He deserves nothing for skin color. From what I understand, his wife can trace her roots back to slavery, though her great great great grandfather was Irish.
I guess that makes her 90% slave black, making her daughters 45% slave black

So, how would you divvy up the pot?

barack gets nothing? Or a full share based on skin color.

Interestingly, the only slave blood in the Presidents lineage comes from his mother's side. His mother's line has been traced to the first black slave in the Colonies, John Punch.

The POTUS is descended from his mother. His mother is descended from a slave. He is in. He may donate his share but he still gets it. It would honorable of him to do so and something i believe he would do.

White people receive welfare. The welfare system was made specifically for them. Learn your history.

Look up the definition of "disproportionately." Learn your language.

Why would I have to look it up? The disproportion is due to racism. Learn to see in more than one dimension.

Thanks Sunni for the idea (sorta) re: 40 acres and a mule. :)

For.

We kidnapped them, enslaved them, should pay backwages. Fair's fair.

Who's we?

Were you on those boats? I sure as fuck wasn't.

Which black people were kidnapped? Have them step forward and we'll round up the guilty parties. . . not their kin, mind you, or other people who happen to share the same skin color as them. . . that'd be racist. No, let's round up the criminals responsible for these crimes and we'll make them pay what's due to the victims. I'd be happy to pay reparations to anyone who I kidnapped or enslaved, but if you can't find anyone I did that to, no, I don't support having my money taken to make them whole.

Ok not YOUR money ?

then how about every land owner who gained their land by inheriting it from a slave owner.

we take that property and sell it to the highest bidder and then deliver the funds to anyone who can prove they had a slave in their family history.

We didn't let the Nazis kids keep the things they stole off the dead bodies of jews huh

Not quite the same thing. Your argument presupposes that the slaves' labors were responsible for 100 percent of the wealth of landowners who used slave labor during those times. This simply isn't the case as, even in those days, labor only factors in as part of what it takes to make a business fly (and not even the largest part in terms of the cost of operating even when you factor in labor numbers more appropriate to today's America).

When Nazi's stole items off of Jewish corpses, those items weren't something that the Nazis had -any- part in procuring other than to take them from those victims.

Also, those items, at the time they were repossessed, were easily identified as stolen items -and- it was done while the iron was still hot, not several generations later. What you're proposing is trying to divine what percentage of a slave-owner's descendants' wealth is due to that slave owner's hand-me-downs, and then what percentage of that slave owner's wealth was due to the slave labor, and then extract something fair? What would be fair? Should there be interest?

Also, why is it fair to punish people -now-?

How is it that those descendants can be held responsible for the actions of people who lived and died before they were so much as conceived? Should we initiate this policy for all crimes?

Take a murder-suicide, for instance. Say a man goes to the job from which he was fired with a .45 and offs like, 6 of his old co-workers and then does himself last. Since he's no longer there to compensate the families of the victims, should we just hang the bill around his oldest child's neck? Or charge all of his children equally? What if he's got no children? Do we try to find his oldest sibling?

Sorry, but this whole topic's fuckin retarded. Holding someone responsible for actions over which they had no control is fucked, no matter how strongly you feel that those actions were wrong.

Why would I have to look it up? The disproportion is due to racism. Learn to see in more than one dimension.

Aside from the juvenile nature of your repartee, your "logic" would conclude that reparations would simply be another form of racism. Circularity, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back