Small Dreams

It matters not how many regulations but the total financial burden they put on companies.

Too much welfare and other entitlements is disincentivizing people's desire to work?

You really think that's true? Then why are scenes like this common nowadays - hundreds and hundreds of people lining up,

just to try to get a job at a Walmart?

51789-eight.jpg

Hundreds of job seekers line up for Walmart positions | 89.3 KPCC

...they were lining up for 65 jobs.
you assholes let 20, million illegals come here, and steal American jobs, and you want them to stay - fuck you, and the rest of you anti american assholes! Welfare should be abolished!

Too much welfare and other entitlements is disincentivizing people's desire to work?

You really think that's true? Then why are scenes like this common nowadays - hundreds and hundreds of people lining up,

just to try to get a job at a Walmart?

51789-eight.jpg

Hundreds of job seekers line up for Walmart positions | 89.3 KPCC

...they were lining up for 65 jobs.
you assholes let 20, million illegals come here, and steal American jobs, and you want them to stay - fuck you, and the rest of you anti american assholes! Welfare should be abolished!

Who exactly are you pointing a finger at?

Illegal Immigration, Population Estimates in the United States, 1969-2011 - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

US_population_compared_to_immigrant_in_US_illegally_population.PNG

According to that chart it was only curtailed when the economy took a downturn in 2000.

Other than that is seems as though both political parties have done nothing at all to curtail the problem and the current GOP controlled House has openly stated that they intend to "slow walk" the immigration issue rather than deal with it as the senate has done.

Wow. This thread is full of a lot of whining about how it's the job of other people to provide lazy asses who refuse to work, jobs...and jobs that pay a *living* wage..whateverthefuck that happens to be.

If you want to work, you'll get a job. People who aren't working don't want to work. That's the beginning and the end of that conversation.

I want to work. But I can't.
I paid into the system from the time I was 16 to the time I turned 58.
I have been refused disability 4 times. Or has it been 5? I lost count.
Yet my ex roomie got 800 bucks a month for being "depressed". Me? I can't stand very long; my wrists give out on me; I never know when I have to go to the bathroom because when it comes knockin' I gotta RUN and I am usually stuck in there half an hour to an hour. Who the fuck is going to hire me? I am soon to be 62 years old and can finally get my SSI that I paid in to. I also get food stamps. I was embarassed at first, but not any more. I need the help and I EARNED that help.
Once I get my SSI, they can stop the foodstamps. I won't need it any more.

Turning a dream into reality takes more than just hard work, TK. It requires a willingness for others to invest in your dream. Try going to a bank and asking for a loan to start your own business. You won't get it because you have no collateral of your own. Try going to angel investors instead and they will turn you down because you have proof of earnings for your dream.

Now apply that to those living in poverty and subsisting on welfare and food stamps. They will run into the exact same roadblocks and that is what happened to the American dream of a better future.

You complain about too much welfare and entitlements and you assume that without those there would be an incentive to attaining the American Dream. That is magical thinking on your part.

The reality is that without those programs there would be widespread poverty and rampant crime because desperate people can't afford the luxury of time to reach prosperity when they have hungry mouths to feed and house.

If you want your American Dream to come true you need to deal with the underlying cause first. Prosperity in this nation came about when a blue collar worker could buy a home and raise a family of 3 children on a single income. That meant that he was paid a living wage with benefits even if he was only a janitor.

The proof of that pudding occurred in the 1990's following the 2 largest tax increases (1 Republican and 1 Democratic) in history. The economy had the largest economic expansion in history, the unemployment rate was at record lows and the deficit was shrinking. More new jobs were created and new companies were starting up at record rates. Government was creating hundreds of thousands of new jobs too by adding teachers and police officers.

So if you want to know where that all went wrong look no further than unnecessary wars and tax cuts for the wealthy.

The American Dream requires that there be a willingness to lend and invest, a tax rate high enough to pay for government spending at present rates and most of all corporations paying every hard working American a living wage with benefits.

Do all of those things and you will see prosperity, growth and future for We the People.

Turning a dream into reality takes more than just hard work, TK. It requires a willingness for others to invest in your dream. Try going to a bank and asking for a loan to start your own business. You won't get it because you have no collateral of your own. Try going to angel investors instead and they will turn you down because you have proof of earnings for your dream.

Now apply that to those living in poverty and subsisting on welfare and food stamps. They will run into the exact same roadblocks and that is what happened to the American dream of a better future.

You speak of roadblocks, Derideo, but as I see it, the government has placed them there. Government serves as the one biggest impediment to this dream than anything else. One other thing-- I know what it's like to be poor, I earn no money, and my grandmother is living barely above the poverty line. I have a unique perspective on this that a lot of other people don't. I don't rely on my government to provide for me. I'd rather not strap a ball and chain to my ankle and call it a blessing, Derideo.

You complain about too much welfare and entitlements and you assume that without those there would be an incentive to attaining the American Dream. That is magical thinking on your part.

I don't assume that, with nearly 50 million people on Food Stamps, billions in welfare being handed out annually without an end in sight, that people are on a path to the American Dream. It's not "magical thinking", it's real. Just what did people do before these programs were introduced? They sought out a better future, not an entitlement. There was real motivation for someone to better themselves.

The reality is that without those programs there would be widespread poverty and rampant crime because desperate people can't afford the luxury of time to reach prosperity when they have hungry mouths to feed and house.

And that is magical thinking on YOUR part. Despite these programs, there is widespread poverty and rampant crime due to desperation in America. You fail to understand that these programs don't reach everyone. You paint such a dark picture, but in some cases in this day and age, the picture for those living in squalor here in America is even darker. Your type of alarmism is quite effective on those who are prone to believe it.

If you want your American Dream to come true you need to deal with the underlying cause first. Prosperity in this nation came about when a blue collar worker could buy a home and raise a family of 3 children on a single income. That meant that he was paid a living wage with benefits even if he was only a janitor.

I was a janitor in 2012, I made enough money to rent out a place if I wanted, move out of my grandmother's home and venture out, but I decided I'd take care of my grandmother with what little money I earned. Living in poverty Derideo, meant that I was taught how to use my money. Stretch my dollar. Prosperity comes when government leaves. Prosperity comes when self reliance comes, and dependence leaves.

The proof of that pudding occurred in the 1990's following the 2 largest tax increases (1 Republican and 1 Democratic) in history. The economy had the largest economic expansion in history, the unemployment rate was at record lows and the deficit was shrinking. More new jobs were created and new companies were starting up at record rates. Government was creating hundreds of thousands of new jobs too by adding teachers and police officers.

And in the early 1980's Reagan raised taxes, he suffered through 1982 with record low approval ratings and soaring unemployment rates. His war on Communism was putting people in the poorhouse. The proof here is that raising taxes was not always a viable solution in a recessive economy. As is now. When he introduced supply side economics, the economy boomed. He lowered taxes and cut entitlements. He encouraged prosperity over dependency. From then on he managed to create 15.6 million jobs during his presidency. What I don't see you mentioning is the common man. You want teachers and police officers, but not manufacturers, architects, engineers, and sales jobs. All the jobs must come from the government. How sad.

So if you want to know where that all went wrong look no further than unnecessary wars and tax cuts for the wealthy.

So, why this war on success? With the Bush tax cuts, the wealthy paid more than anyone else. These class warfare memes are getting old. They paid 37% then, 39% now. You want to bring people out of poverty, but punish them should they actually manage to make it in life. That isn't fair.

The American Dream requires that there be a willingness to lend and invest, a tax rate high enough to pay for government spending at present rates and most of all corporations paying every hard working American a living wage with benefits.

The American Dream requires that a man be able to shape his own destiny, make his own way, and that government be limited. I get really tired of the liberal talking points. Raising taxes to sate a spending habit? Spending is the problem Derideo! It's like a man diagnosed with cancer continuing to smoke although it will kill him quicker. Government excess IS the problem! People don't deserve benefits they don't earn. Hell, I was taught my entire life not to live on handouts. I don't. The poor are poor, some through no fault of their own, but others due to their inability to manage money, or relying on a nominal income from the government rather than looking for a job.

This dream where people depend on the government is not a dream, it is a lamb being led to slaughter. You want prosperity? Get out of the way. Let man rediscover his ingenuitive spirit. Let him know more than mere dependence. Let him take advantage of his potential.

Last edited:
Did I come on too strong?

No, you came on too hypocritical. Are you still jobless and living with your grandmother?

Yes?

Then stfu and get a job, you mooching leech.

Funny, especially coming from a liberal. You want people to take advantage of these programs but neglect to tell them how to sever the umbilical and venture out on their own.

In short, you push entitlement programs, encourage laziness and apathy but are telling me to get a job and stop mooching. Oh what a tangled web of double standards we weave.

Did I come on too strong?

No, you came on too hypocritical. Are you still jobless and living with your grandmother?

Yes?

Funny, especially coming from a liberal. You want people to take advantage of these programs but neglect to tell them how to sever the umbilical and venture out on their own.

In short, you push entitlement programs, encourage laziness and apathy but are telling me to get a job and stop mooching. Oh what a tangled web of double standards we weave.

So, it's the fault of liberals that you don't know how to make it on your own?

Do you wingnuts ever take any personal responsibility?

How many more times can some dumbass Republican invoke the name of their senile terrorist-supporting war criminal Ronald Reagan?

Tax cuts for the wealthy do not correspond with economic growth.

The top statutory income tax rates have changed considerably since the end of World War II. Throughout the late-1940s and 1950s, the top marginal tax rate was typically above 90%; today it is 35%. Additionally, the top capital gains tax rate was 25% in the 1950s and 1960s, 35% in the 1970s; today it is 15%. Statutory tax rates affecting taxpayers at the top of the income distribution are currently at their lowest levels since the end of the second World War. Whether or not the top statutory tax rates should be raised at the end of 2012, as scheduled under current law, is currently an issue before Congress.

The results of the analysis in this report suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top statutory tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie. But as a small proportion of taxpayers are affected by changes in the top statutory tax rates, this finding is not unexpected.

However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be correlated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution. As measured by IRS data, the share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009 recession. At the same time, the average tax rate paid by the top 0.1% fell from over 50% in 1945 to about 25% in 2009. The statistical analysis in this report suggests that tax policy could be related to how the economic pie is sliced—lower top tax rates may be associated with greater income disparities.

The top statutory tax rates are but one part of a broader debate on the design of the overall tax system, which may be taken up in the future. House Ways and Means committee Chair Dave Camp reportedly has said his committee will move a tax reform bill in 2013.

Many tax reform proposals include changes to the tax base, often through the elimination of tax expenditures, as well as changes in the tax rates. Broad-based changes to the tax system that significantly affect the level of total tax revenues could have short-term and long-term effects on the economy."
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42729.pdf

Your argument does not correspond with reality. Face it, you'd much rather have him in office right now. He was the best thing this country had going for it. Obama? You call Reagan a terrorist supporting war criminal, yet neglect to mention Obama's funding of the Muslim Brotherhood, Syrian Rebels and multiple drone strikes that have killed children overseas, he pushed through a plan that stripped millions of people of their health insurance, got four brave men killed because he could care less, and has as of now spent $7 trillion in the past 5 years. But I digress.

The Tower Commission absolved Reagan of wrongdoing in the Contra scandal. At any rate, you fail to mention that the CRS released this graph on the extension of the Bush tax cuts:

800px-Impact_of_Bush_Tax_Cut_Extension.png

The rich were hit hard when the Bush tax cuts expired on Jan 1, 2013. They saw their taxes jump 4.6% overnight. They paid 35% in 2012, and while Obama put many of the tax cuts back, he ignored the rich. He let their taxes rise to 39.6%.

Don't cite your liberal memes to me, KNB.

Yes?

Project much J.E.R.K?

Project? I have a job. I don't live with my grandmother. I pay taxes.

No, you have a job whilst encouraging entitlement, laziness and apathy? Wait what?

Besides, I'm not the only one:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-03/going-on-30-living-with-mom-and-dad.html

Last edited:
Like Reagan, I also believe that these entitlement programs are the source of poverty, not the solution to it.

V.A. Benefits?

Social Security?

Medicare?

Government Employee Health Insurance?

Government Employee Pension?

Which ones would you eliminate, keeping in mind that SS and Medicare, people have paid into those during their entire working life and thus feel entitled.

Do all of those things and you will see prosperity, growth and future for We the People.

You speak of roadblocks, Derideo, but as I see it, the government has placed them there. Government serves as the one biggest impediment to this dream than anything else. One other thing-- I know what it's like to be poor, I earn no money, and my grandmother is living barely above the poverty line. I have a unique perspective on this that a lot of other people don't. I don't rely on my government to provide for me. I'd rather not strap a ball and chain to my ankle and call it a blessing, Derideo.

I don't assume that, with nearly 50 million people on Food Stamps, billions in welfare being handed out annually without an end in sight, that people are on a path to the American Dream. It's not "magical thinking", it's real. Just what did people do before these programs were introduced? They sought out a better future, not an entitlement. There was real motivation for someone to better themselves.

And that is magical thinking on YOUR part. Despite these programs, there is widespread poverty and rampant crime due to desperation in America. You fail to understand that these programs don't reach everyone. You paint such a dark picture, but in some cases in this day and age, the picture for those living in squalor here in America is even darker. Your type of alarmism is quite effective on those who are prone to believe it.

I was a janitor in 2012, I made enough money to rent out a place if I wanted, move out of my grandmother's home and venture out, but I decided I'd take care of my grandmother with what little money I earned. Living in poverty Derideo, meant that I was taught how to use my money. Stretch my dollar. Prosperity comes when government leaves. Prosperity comes when self reliance comes, and dependence leaves.

And in the early 1980's Reagan raised taxes, he suffered through 1982 with record low approval ratings and soaring unemployment rates. His war on Communism was putting people in the poorhouse. The proof here is that raising taxes was not always a viable solution in a recessive economy. As is now. When he introduced supply side economics, the economy boomed. He lowered taxes and cut entitlements. He encouraged prosperity over dependency. From then on he managed to create 15.6 million jobs during his presidency. What I don't see you mentioning is the common man. You want teachers and police officers, but not manufacturers, architects, engineers, and sales jobs. All the jobs must come from the government. How sad.

So, why this war on success? With the Bush tax cuts, the wealthy paid more than anyone else. These class warfare memes are getting old. They paid 37% then, 39% now. You want to bring people out of poverty, but punish them should they actually manage to make it in life. That isn't fair.

The American Dream requires that a man be able to shape his own destiny, make his own way, and that government be limited. I get really tired of the liberal talking points. Raising taxes to sate a spending habit? Spending is the problem Derideo! It's like a man diagnosed with cancer continuing to smoke although it will kill him quicker. Government excess IS the problem! People don't deserve benefits they don't earn. Hell, I was taught my entire life not to live on handouts. I don't. The poor are poor, some through no fault of their own, but others due to their inability to manage money, or relying on a nominal income from the government rather than looking for a job.

This dream where people depend on the government is not a dream, it is a lamb being led to slaughter. You want prosperity? Get out of the way. Let man rediscover his ingenuitive spirit. Let him know more than mere dependence. Let him take advantage of his potential.

You are blaming government and ignoring reality.

This nation prospered when there were government programs helping hardworking Americans and corporations paying living wages and benefits. It failed to prosper when tax rates were cut and wars of indulgence were waged. When regulations were gutted the economy has collapsed. These facts are indisputable.

There is no point in taking this any further because your mind is already convinced that you are right and no amount of facts will change it.

uh, Obama has raised taxes across the board on tobacco, medical devices, obamacare is a socalled TAX....

Obama is doing the opposite, raising taxes and regulation on companies while making it easier to live off welfare like back in the 60s and 70s. He doesn't give a shit because they vote for him from the ghetto...

*cough* bullshit

The Rich Are Paying a Smaller Share of Taxes Under Obama

New data is out from the IRS, showing the share of federal income taxes paid by those in each economic strata. Bruce Bartlett points out that the richest Americans have seen their share of taxes declining rather significantly under Obama. Specifically, the richest 1% paid 37.5% of taxes in (recession-damaged) 2008; in 2011, their share was down to 35%. (Their share peaked in 2007, during the boom times—and the Bush administration.) The top 5% of earners also saw their share of taxes decline by a similar margin. So, under the first three years of the Obama administration, the very rich saw their share of taxes go down.

Between 2009 and 2011, the Obama administration approved an average of 297 regulations per year, comparable to yearly figures for the past 18 years. (In 1992 and 1993, the numbers were much higher, exceeding 1,000 regulations both years.)

aR28dDrCOcUp6QCOjMUVN1r9FRoG0Ior2T1qbgJvZ82k-EunMn9NicRYF5iFCZfshRhbL5U4lyzwnmh0hbb_e3TjaANlwX2g4rnBfmlpYobx1cY05GI2

Lower taxes on investment, companies, incomes, etc and less regulation by the IRS/EPA/etc on companies to let them grow the economy.

Yes, you are that fucking stupid.

Uh, taking away their welfare goodies and creating an economic environment to stimulate growth was the recipe.

Obama is doing the opposite, raising taxes and regulation on companies while making it easier to live off welfare like back in the 60s and 70s. He doesn't give a shit because they vote for him from the ghetto...

People went back to work in the 1990's because there were good jobs with benefits to be had in the greatest economic expansion ever following the largest tax increases in history.

You can't "force people back to work" if there are no jobs out there for them. Your "job creators" haven't produced any new jobs ever since they were given their "tax cut" welfare handouts. How about we force the "job creators" back to work first by raising their taxes and see how that turns out?

Changing your tune now? Exactly how do you intend to create "an economic environment to stimulate growth"?

You are blaming government and ignoring reality.

This nation prospered when there were government programs helping hardworking Americans and corporations paying living wages and benefits. It failed to prosper when tax rates were cut and wars of indulgence were waged. When regulations were gutted the economy has collapsed. These facts are indisputable.

There is no point in taking this any further because your mind is already convinced that you are right and no amount of facts will change it.

Actually, I am not the one promoting the problem over the solution.

The nation prospered before there were government programs. It was only after the recession when we needed them. They weren't meant to last this long.

But hey, it's not like you to run off. Reagan eased regulations and the economy exploded. Want proof? Close to the end of his term, those living in poverty was a record low 1.2%. All because of deregulation. GDP grew almost 24%. The rich paid more and the poor paid less. The CATO institute in 1996 deduced that the US Economy performed better under than before or after tenure in office.

Median Family Income skyrocketed:

rrfig02.gif

Unemployment rates sunk like a stone:

rrfig03.gif

And Inflation Dwindled:

rrfig05.gif

Last edited:
Project much J.E.R.K?

No, you have a job whilst encouraging entitlement, laziness and apathy? Wait what?

Going on 30, Living With Mom and Dad - Bloomberg

I honestly couldn't care less about who you live with. You do what you need to do to get by. I just find it to be quite ironic that you come on here and tell us all how evil liberal policies encourage laziness and don't give you the tools needed to survive in the real world; yet, you don't work and you don't live on your own. And now you want to blame liberal policies for your OWN problems? Give me a break.

Going on 30, Living With Mom and Dad - Bloomberg

I honestly couldn't care less about who you live with. You do what you need to do to get by. I just find it to be quite ironic that you come on here and tell us all how evil liberal policies encourage laziness and don't give you the tools needed to survive in the real world; yet, you don't work and you don't live on your own. And now you want to blame liberal policies for your OWN problems? Give me a break.

You'll live. If you had a rebuttal, you'd have already presented it by now. But with comments like "at least I don't live with my grandmother", it shows me you care a bit too much about who I live with.

Such a raw display of emotion, but no argument.

Forum List

Back