Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Smoking Bans

Should Smoking be Banned in Businesses?

• Total voters
You have it backwards

You can CHOOSE not to smoke
I cannot CHOOSE not to breathe

You can choose where you breathe.

You don't have to breathe the air inside a business that allows smoking. You can choose only to breathe the air in businesses that are smoke free.

You still have it backwards

You can choose where you smoke. Just can't be where others are forced to breathe your filth

This isn't about me smoking. I DO NOT FUCKING SMOKE! Get it through that thick skull of yours.

This is about you telling a privately owned business what they can and cannot do on their own property.

This is about you being too fucking stupid to understand that freedom means choice not bans and mandates.

You do not have to inhale anything. You can choose not to patronize a business that allows smoking. Why is that such a difficult concept for you?

There's a lot more than coal dust that makes mining dangerous.

And workers have choice just like consumers.

If you work in a coal mine you accept a risk. if you work in a bar that allows smoking you accept that risk.

Freedom is choice.

I tend to agree with more choice not less.

If you live in a circumstance where coal mining is your only option for employment, just to entertain this analogy, then it's your only "choice". Similarly if your circumstance is that some office is your only choice of employment, and that office is removing your right to breathe simple unadulterated air, then your attitude is restricting that worker's choices -- you're giving him FEWER choices --- not more.

If a room prohibits smoking, what's the downside? That a smoker who wants to pollute his own lungs has to take it outside. If a room doesn't prohibit it, what's the downside? Innocent non-smokers get cancer.

You have the "right" to give yourself cancer. You do NOT have the right to give it to me against my will.

I do not smoke. How many times do i have to repeat that to you idiots?

If a bar allows smoking what's the downside to you if you drink at another bar that doesn't?

And the there is no option line is bullshit.

If you don't want to work in a coal mine you do not have to.

Technically that's true; you can not work and starve to death. Because starving to death is a "choice". Or you can have governmental social safety nets support you. Another "choice". Or you can bite the bullet, go work in the only option you have in your area, an unregulated coal mine in this Randbot Anarchistan where public safety is anathema, and work until you get black lung disease. That's a "choice" too.

Hey you're right, there are just oodles of "choices" out there. My head swims at all these great "choices". Huzzah. Gah bless Merka.

Last edited:

You don't have to breathe the air inside a business that allows smoking. You can choose only to breathe the air in businesses that are smoke free.

You can choose where you smoke. Just can't be where others are forced to breathe your filth

This isn't about me smoking. I DO NOT FUCKING SMOKE! Get it through that thick skull of yours.

This is about you telling a privately owned business what they can and cannot do on their own property.

This is about you being too fucking stupid to understand that freedom means choice not bans and mandates.

Why do you take hypotheticals personally? "You" can and does mean "a given person". We don't have a dedicated word for it in English; what you're trying to do is dissassociate yourself from your own point so that you don't have the responsibility for it.

Now why does any of this require "telling a privately owned business" anything? Why not put the onus on the smoker?

If you live in a circumstance where coal mining is your only option for employment, just to entertain this analogy, then it's your only "choice". Similarly if your circumstance is that some office is your only choice of employment, and that office is removing your right to breathe simple unadulterated air, then your attitude is restricting that worker's choices -- you're giving him FEWER choices --- not more.

If a room prohibits smoking, what's the downside? That a smoker who wants to pollute his own lungs has to take it outside. If a room doesn't prohibit it, what's the downside? Innocent non-smokers get cancer.

You have the "right" to give yourself cancer. You do NOT have the right to give it to me against my will.

If a bar allows smoking what's the downside to you if you drink at another bar that doesn't?

Technically that's true; you can not work and starve to death. Because starving to death is a "choice". Or you can have governmental social safety nets support you. Another "choice". Or you can bite the bullet, go work in the only option you have in your area, an unregulated coal mine in this Randbot Anarchistan where public safety is anathema, and work until you get black lung disease. That's a "choice" too.

Hey you're right, there are just oodles of "choices" out there. My head swims at all these great "choices". Huzzah. Gah bless Merka.

Unemployment is 2% in N Dakota. Yeah there are no options.

Work in a mine to save up a few grand then set out for greener pastures.

Why do you take hypotheticals personally? "You" can and does mean "a given person". We don't have a dedicated word for it in English; what you're trying to do is dissassociate yourself from your own point so that you don't have the responsibility for it.

Now why does any of this require "telling a privately owned business" anything? Why not put the onus on the smoker?

You're not you're putting the onus on the business owners.

If a business owner wants to allow smoking in his place what business is it of yours? Are you utterly incapable of finding s business that will still not allow smoking?

If there was freedom some people would allow smoking and some wouldn't just like some places serve pizza and some don't.

Skull, you seem to have a hard time understanding that choice runs both ways. As a non smoker I have the choice to make that I and those other non smokers that choose not to breath in second hand carcinogens, have a choice to bitch and moan that we do not want to breath in second hand cig smoke.

Seeing as how the addicted cigarette smokers will not choose to stop smoking around those it offends, then the choice is to appeal to the powers that be to enact a law that forbids smoking in businesses and government building.

If cigarette smokers could choose to abstain when around non smokers, no problem.

But when cigarette smokes wage chemical warfare on me, that's not happening.

Let them cigarette smokers choose whatever they want. Just don't choose to smoke in certain places where non smokers have every right to be; workplaces, shopping places and dining/entertainment.

Now that's that freedom of being in the majority and choosing to use that power to stop the abuses being placed upon non smokers by smokers.

In other words; you smokers, stick it up your ass. You ain't going to be allowed to smoke where ever you want.

Greener pastures are of no use if you're already dead.

Why do you hate the common people? Should we abolish child labor laws too? All OSHA standards, out the window? Why don't we just switch off all the traffic lights so the damn gummint isn't telling us when to stop? Dump the FAA too -- you don't want to collide with another plane? Walk. It's a "choice". End all water sanitation -- I want the "choice" to ingest PCBs and heavy metals, dammit.

Last edited:

You're not you're putting the onus on the business owners.

If a business owner wants to allow smoking in his place what business is it of yours? Are you utterly incapable of finding s business that will still not allow smoking?

If there was freedom some people would allow smoking and some wouldn't just like some places serve pizza and some don't.

My point flew completey over your skull like a smoke ring.

It doesn't have to be a restriction on the business; make it a restriction on the smoker. If you and I work side by side in the same work space, you (personally) do not have the right to put your smoke in my lungs. Deal?

You are not a private business. You are a public business open to the public As such, you are subject to the rules of your community

If you don't like those rules, you are free to open up your business elsewhere

Just like you want those no smokers to do

Wow, you absolutely POUNDED that straw man! :cuckoo:

Why do you hate the common people? Should we abolish child labor laws too? All OSHA standards, out the window? Why don't we just switch off all the traffic lights so the damn gummint isn't telling us when to stop? Dump the FAA too -- you don't want to collide with another plane? Walk. It's a "choice". End all water sanitation -- I want the "choice" to ingest PCBs and heavy metals, dammit.

Hey, you pounded ANOTHER straw man! Good job! :lol:

Is somebuddy a li'l bit confuserated about what "strawman" means?

Aw, that's so cute.

Last edited:

An extreme rightist's dream come true.

Typical conservative whine

Businesses without smoking are cleaner, have less damage due to careless smokers and do not have those nasty cigarette butts to clean up

Remember the good ole days with smoking? White walls turned yellow, curtains and rugs were ruined.

And now back to the real world: waitstaff took about a 25% pay cut, literally overnight. Why do you hate waiters & waitresses so much? Why do you despise bartenders? Why do you want dishwashers & busboys to lose their jobs and go on welfare?

So let me see if I understand the point of the smoking community

When non smokers complained about having to enter smoke filled rooms, you say.....don't like it, go somewhere else

Now you expect us to show compassion because smokers have to go somewhere else?

Are you PLAYING stupid, or are you TRULY this fucking stupid?

H
And now back to the real world: waitstaff took about a 25% pay cut, literally overnight. Why do you hate waiters & waitresses so much? Why do you despise bartenders? Why do you want dishwashers & busboys to lose their jobs and go on welfare?

When non smokers complained about having to enter smoke filled rooms, you say.....don't like it, go somewhere else

You forgot to say Strawman

Isn't that your usual reply when you lack a credible response?

H

You forgot to say Strawman

Isn't that your usual reply when you lack a credible response?

Based on his last several posts I'd say his strawman is running up quite the bar tab... :booze:

Progressive hippy dope smokers should have the same rules applied to them as cigarette smokers.

Smoking bans have nothing to do with labor laws.

Forum List

Back