🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Smoking Bans

Should Smoking be Banned in Businesses?

• Total voters
When the smoking ban was imposed in this area, many restaurants lost business, and waiters saw their tips crash.

Typical conservative whine

Businesses without smoking are cleaner, have less damage due to careless smokers and do not have those nasty cigarette butts to clean up

Remember the good ole days with smoking? White walls turned yellow, curtains and rugs were ruined.

And now back to the real world: waitstaff took about a 25% pay cut, literally overnight. Why do you hate waiters & waitresses so much? Why do you despise bartenders? Why do you want dishwashers & busboys to lose their jobs and go on welfare?

So let me see if I understand the point of the smoking community

When non smokers complained about having to enter smoke filled rooms, you say.....don't like it, go somewhere else

Now you expect us to show compassion because smokers have to go somewhere else?

Yea, how about I work in a place where I get to carry a gun. And the place also allows smoking.

I don't smoke. But am I able to shoot the person smoking next to me because I view their activity as a chemical attack on my person?

That what inquiring minds want to know.

Good question. Sadly in today's environment, that argument could indeed be made. After all you'd be "defending yourself" against attack. Weaker defenses have prevailed in the Gun Culture.

Of course there is, it is a perfectly legal activity. What compelling government interest is there in banning it on private property or outside?

If you have the right to blow cigarette smoke in my face in open air, then I should certainly have the right to spit in your face.

By that "logic", I now demand that the public consumption of coffee be criminalized.

If I drink coffee it has zero effect on you. That's the glaring difference.

no. there isn't, nor should there be. saying so is just whining and stamping his foot.

that said, it's a legal activity and i do think businesses should be allowed to have smoking sections if they choose to.
it's also interesting to see that this is where most people seem to fall, at least in this poss. interestingly, the number of people who so far say it should be business choice is right now almost twice the number of the other categories put together.... not that it's a scientific poll, but i do think it's interesting.

Having a smoking section is like having a peeing section in a pool

Constantly repeating the same stupid one-liner does not make it less-stupid, stupid!

On the contrary it's a great line and amazingly the counter to the post you made just before this one and it never even dawned on you.

Drinking coffee affects no one but the coffee drinker. Smoking tobacco affects everyone in a confined space. It's in what you breathe, and you don't get a choice not to breathe -- which means the smoker in that confined space denies everybody else's right to breathe.

Why do you hate freedom of choice?

Last edited:

Constantly repeating the same stupid one-liner does not make it less-stupid, stupid!

On the contrary it's a great line and amazingly the counter to the post you made just before this one.

Drinking coffee affects no one but the coffee drinker. Smoking tobacco affects everyone in a confined space. There's just no getting around that.

smoking is a filthy habit, it shortens your life. But, its legal. If a place of business wants to allow smoking, that is its right. Non-smokers are not required to go there.

If you want to destroy your body with smoke in your car or your home, fine, thats your right.

But, smoking in public places where non smokers must go, should not be allowed.

Said another way, do whatever you want to your body as long as it does not impact someone else's body.

After watching a story on the news about banning smoking in public areas- including businesses- forcibly, I realized how wrong that is. On government property- ie streets and government buildings like courthouses- the government should have the ability to ban it. But for privately owned businesses, they should be given the ability to choose. If they ban smoking, smokers can simply go elsewhere. If smoking is allowed, and offends people, said customers can use their competitors instead. As such, a business owner can then allow/disallow smoking if it would help their business. Government doesn't have a right to mandate businesses to ban something, even if it is for "the public's safety". Even that could be disproved by showing that smoking inside a building where everyone is okay with it does not harm those who actually care. And enviromentalists will now proceed to ask about factories pumping pollutants into the atmosphere and try to apply my logic to that. That is a different case, simply because potentially harmful pollutants are being put directly into the atmosphere, whereas smoking in a restaurant hasn't killed anyone walking in the street outside, as far as I know.

Nonsense.

There's no 'right' to smoke.

Of course there is. As long as it is legal to buy them, it is legal to smoke. Just because you don't choose to do so doesn't alter this fact. Remember how wise it was to start prohibition.

There is a right to smoke, just as there's a right to ingest anything else you may choose. Taking away somebody's right to smoke at all would be wrong. But smoking is optional and voluntary; there is a more basic right to breathe. Taking away somebody's right to breathe is unacceptable. And that, a necessity for survival, trumps the right to smoke where the two conflict.

Period.

If you have the right to blow cigarette smoke in my face in open air, then I should certainly have the right to spit in your face.

By that "logic", I now demand that the public consumption of coffee be criminalized.

If I drink coffee it has zero effect on you. That's the glaring difference.

Actually, that is false. If you drink coffee in public, and my wife SMELLS it, it will make her physically ill. (The smell of coffee makes her sick.)

On the contrary it's a great line and amazingly the counter to the post you made just before this one and it never even dawned on you.

Drinking coffee affects no one but the coffee drinker. Smoking tobacco affects everyone in a confined space. It's in what you breathe, and you don't get a choice not to breathe -- which means the smoker in that confined space denies everybody else's right to breathe.

Does it HURT to be this stupid? I understand that one-liners are pretty much the limit of your comprehension ability, but everyone else sees them as the idiocy they are. You are, clearly, not intelligent enough to debate with.

Toddle along now, boy, the adults are talking.

Typical conservative whine

Businesses without smoking are cleaner, have less damage due to careless smokers and do not have those nasty cigarette butts to clean up

Remember the good ole days with smoking? White walls turned yellow, curtains and rugs were ruined.

And now back to the real world: waitstaff took about a 25% pay cut, literally overnight. Why do you hate waiters & waitresses so much? Why do you despise bartenders? Why do you want dishwashers & busboys to lose their jobs and go on welfare?

When non smokers complained about having to enter smoke filled rooms, you say.....don't like it, go somewhere else

Let's say we had somehow developed the custom of shitting in the corner of whatever room we were in. Right on the floor.

Stupid idea? Of course, but no stupider than taking a noxious weed that's been grown by racist rednecks subsidized by the government bought at minimal prices by huge corporations who then spray it with all kinds of toxins and roll it up in wood pulp that's been bleached white with chlorine, another poison, setting it on fire and inhaling that into your own lungs... and everybody else's who has the misfortune to share your space...

So here we are with this custom of shitting in the corner. Somebody figures out that's why we have all these flies in the room. Somebody else figures out it's spreading disease. Somebody suggests we stop everyone shitting in the corner.

--- Still crowing about your "rights"?

Ideology untempered by practicality invites the absurd. QED.

Last edited:

Does it HURT to be this stupid? I understand that one-liners are pretty much the limit of your comprehension ability, but everyone else sees them as the idiocy they are. You are, clearly, not intelligent enough to debate with.

Toddle along now, boy, the adults are talking.

So ---- you exist without breathing, huh?

What's your species then? Pisces?

Dumbass.

Let's say we had somehow developed the custom of shitting in the corner of whatever room we were in. Right on the floor.

Stupid idea? Of course, but no stupider than taking a noxious weed that's been grown by racist rednecks subsidized by the government bought at minimal prices by huge corporations who then spray it with all kinds of toxins and roll it up in wood pulp that's been bleached white with chlorine, another poison, setting it on fire and inhaling that into your own lungs... and everybody else's who has the misfortune to share your space...

So here we are with this custom of shitting in the corner. Somebody figures out that's why we have all these flies in the room. Somebody else figures out it's spreading disease. Somebody suggests we stop everyone shitting in the corner.

tobacco farmers are racist rednecks???? really? got any proof of that stupid statement?

tobacco farmers are racist rednecks???? really? got any proof of that stupid statement?

I don't need to "prove" a point I haven't made. Think about it.

how many of you favor a total prohibition of tobacco in the USA?

how about pot?

It is gradually dying off on its own

I have seen smoking drop from over 50% to less than 20% of the population. Smoking is way down with younger people

Biggest factor is that smoking is no longer "cool". Smokers are now social outcasts...even in their own homes

how many of you favor a total prohibition of tobacco in the USA?

how about pot?

It is gradually dying off on its own

I have seen smoking drop from over 50% to less than 20% of the population. Smoking is way down with younger people

Biggest factor is that smoking is no longer "cool". Smokers are now social outcasts...even in their own homes

Exactly. The pressure of social mores. We did the same thing with the idea of drunk driving; it's no longer dorky to act as designated driver and no longer 'adventurous' to weave home from the party and wrap your car around a telephone pole. Ditto racism, sexism and homophobia, even if those are still works in progress.

That's exactly why I take the same approach to gun violence. Throwing laws at social customs doesn't change those customs. Social pressure does.

Last edited:
Your community has a right to tell you whether your business is permitted, where it is allowed, the hours you can operate, the wages you must pay, building and sanitary codes and yes.......whether smoking is allowed

I disagree.

I embrace freedom of choice you on the other hand despise it.

You have demonstrated to all how archaic your views are
Didn't take long

Yes minding my own business is archaic among a society of control freaks like you.

Forum List

Back