🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Smoking Bans

Should Smoking be Banned in Businesses?

• Total voters
After watching a story on the news about banning smoking in public areas- including businesses- forcibly, I realized how wrong that is. On government property- ie streets and government buildings like courthouses- the government should have the ability to ban it. But for privately owned businesses, they should be given the ability to choose. If they ban smoking, smokers can simply go elsewhere. If smoking is allowed, and offends people, said customers can use their competitors instead. As such, a business owner can then allow/disallow smoking if it would help their business. Government doesn't have a right to mandate businesses to ban something, even if it is for "the public's safety". Even that could be disproved by showing that smoking inside a building where everyone is okay with it does not harm those who actually care. And enviromentalists will now proceed to ask about factories pumping pollutants into the atmosphere and try to apply my logic to that. That is a different case, simply because potentially harmful pollutants are being put directly into the atmosphere, whereas smoking in a restaurant hasn't killed anyone walking in the street outside, as far as I know.

Nonsense.

There's no 'right' to smoke.

There is as much a 'right' to smoke, as there is a 'right' to abortion on demand, or a 'right' to have your employer pay for your contrceptives.

This is unsurprisingly ignorant and a non sequitur.

Smoking bans are Constitutional because they're applied to everyone equally, they're predicated on a rational basis supported by objective, documented evidence, and pursue a proper legislative end.

Consequently, there is in fact no 'right' to smoke, no civil liberties are being 'violated,'

I have no problem with smoking in your home, car or private club

I just don't want your stink where I am

How many times do I have to tell you that I do not smoke?

So then why do you have a problem with some businesses allowing smoking when other similar businesses will surely not allow smoking ?

If Coffee Shop A allows smoking and Coffee Shop B does not why not just patronize Coffee Shop B and leave Coffee Shop A alone?

That's what I would do.

What if it's a small town and coffee shop A is your only option?

Then make your own coffee.

Smokers are not being descriminated against. They are welcome to patronize any business that nonsmokers are

It is only their offensive activity that is banned. They have a choice to smoke or not, a nonsmoker does not have a choice to breathe or not

Nonsense.

There is as much a 'right' to smoke, as there is a 'right' to abortion on demand, or a 'right' to have your employer pay for your contrceptives.

This is unsurprisingly ignorant and a non sequitur.

Smoking bans are Constitutional because they're applied to everyone equally, they're predicated on a rational basis supported by objective, documented evidence, and pursue a proper legislative end.

Consequently, there is in fact no 'right' to smoke, no civil liberties are being 'violated,'

Marriage laws apply to everyone equally.

Again, there is no 'right' to smoke, where the courts have confirmed that fact:

The statewide ban on smoking in public places survived a constitutional challenge Friday when the Kansas Supreme Court ruled against a Tonganoxie bar that contested the 2010 law.

Smoking ban survives constitutional challenge | CJOnline.com

Since 2006, the Ohio Smoke-Free Workplace Act has banned indoor smoking at public establishments and places of employment, making Ohio the first Midwestern state to enact a state-wide ban. Despite controversy and contestment, that ban will continue to be enforced statewide.

The owner of Zeno's Victorian Village in Columbus who attempted to combat the law was shut down by a unanimous 7-0 vote in the Ohio Supreme Court today, which ruled that the state's six-year smoking ban is constitutional.

Ohio Supreme Court Rules Smoking Ban Constitutional

Smoking bans in public establishments are appropriate and Constitutional regulatory policy.

If a business wants to allow smoking that's fine with me.

People can look for jobs at nonsmoking businesses if they want and customers can patronize businesses that ban smoking as well.

Freedom of choice. Period.

Sure, you can choose where to shop, that's fine; if you don't want carcinogens in your lungs you can patronize somewhere else, nobody forces you in there. All true. BUT...

That business, in order to operate, must have employee staff. And they can't be forced to breathe that stuff against their will -- unless the business wants to hire only smokers, which they can't do. So keep it out of the workplace to protect the employees -- who have no choice -- and the dilemma of what to do about the clientele takes care of itself. Problem solved.

A business cannot discriminate in its hiring of employees by only hiring smokers. Non-smokers have a right to breath smoke free air, hence smoking bans.

But businesses can discriminate in hiring smokers

Smokers are not being descriminated against. They are welcome to patronize any business that nonsmokers are

It is only their offensive activity that is banned. They have a choice to smoke or not, a nonsmoker does not have a choice to breathe or not

And again what do you care if a business allows smoking when no one is forcing you to patronize that business?

Is freedom of choice really that abhorrent to you?

And again what do you care if a business allows smoking when no one is forcing you to patronize that business?

Do you really think businesses have a right to live by their own rules?

It is more than lung cancer.....Smokers Stink

Why should I have to go out to a public place and come back with my hair and clothes stinking of tobacco?

You don't have to patronize establishments that allow smoking do you?

I have a right to patronize any business establishment

If there is one bowling alley in town, I don't have an option to "bowl somewhere else"
If I am attending a party or social gathering, I don't have an option to go elsewhere

As a smoker, you don't have a right to spew your filth anywhere you please

no. but that's true of smokers, as well, isn't it. so it isn't about rights, it's about choice. and if there is a smoking section... and a non-smoking section, then everyone is covered

and you would still have the *right* to use smoking facilities, you would just choose not to.

i feel about this mostly like i feel about the radical right trying to control women... if you don't agree with something, don't do it. if there's a way to accommodate everyone's concerns, then you should.

You don't have to patronize establishments that allow smoking do you?

I have a right to patronize any business establishment

If there is one bowling alley in town, I don't have an option to "bowl somewhere else"
If I am attending a party or social gathering, I don't have an option to go elsewhere

As a smoker, you don't have a right to spew your filth anywhere you please

no. but that's true of smokers, as well, isn't it. so it isn't about rights, it's about choice. and if there is a smoking section... and a non-smoking section, then everyone is covered

and you would still have the *right* to use smoking facilities, you would just choose not to.

i feel about this mostly like i feel about the radical right trying to control women... if you don't agree with something, don't do it. if there's a way to accommodate everyone's concerns, then you should.

Smokers have always had a right to go anywhere they wish. Smokers are not banned......only their activity

Yea, how about I work in a place where I get to carry a gun. And the place also allows smoking.

I don't smoke. But am I able to shoot the person smoking next to me because I view their activity as a chemical attack on my person?

That what inquiring minds want to know.

Private property is private property.

I do not allow smoking in my home or my business but if someone else does it is not my concern as I have the choice not to visit or patronize those homes or businesses.

Why do you loathe choice?

I do not allow smoking in my home or my business but if someone else does it is not my concern as I have the choice not to visit or patronize those homes or businesses.

Actually, it is not

You are not king of your business. You do not get to make your own rules in your own private kingdom

Actually, it is not

You are not king of your business. You do not get to make your own rules in your own private kingdom

And who is? You?

Who makes the choices? You?

What right to you have to tell me what to do on my own property?

None.

You people who think you're all about rights and freedom are really nothing but the worst sort of control freaks.

Actually, it is not

And who is? You?

None.

You people who think you're all about rights and freedom are really nothing but the worst sort of control freaks.

Your community has a right to tell you whether your business is permitted, where it is allowed, the hours you can operate, the wages you must pay, building and sanitary codes and yes.......whether smoking is allowed

Actually, it is not

And who is? You?

None.

Your community has a right to tell you whether your business is permitted, where it is allowed, the hours you can operate, the wages you must pay, building and sanitary codes and yes.......whether smoking is allowed

I disagree.

I embrace freedom of choice you on the other hand despise it.

And who is? You?

None.

I disagree.

You have demonstrated to all how archaic your views are
Didn't take long

I disagree.

You have demonstrated to all how archaic your views are
Didn't take long

Hardly. What he demonstrated is he has a better grasp on what freedom means than you do.

Nonsense.

Of course there is, it is a perfectly legal activity. What compelling government interest is there in banning it on private property or outside?

If you have the right to blow cigarette smoke in my face in open air, then I should certainly have the right to spit in your face.

By that "logic", I now demand that the public consumption of coffee be criminalized.

Forum List

Back