Snowden has the personal files on ALL officials and threatens to release the files.

I don't know if those would be kept on a government server. But perhaps W's National Guard records and Romney's tax return are. :tomato:

There are servers on which the hire goes in and lists all their information, previous jobs, colleges attended, degrees, etc. HR has your transcripts, but when you leave, I don't think those things are retained. The first time I left, my boss just handed all that stuff back to me because they were going to toss it. They keep grade, step, salary information, etc. at central offices and if you want to return to government service you write the one where yours is stored and request your SF50. While you are employed, you can get all that online. But not after you leave.

Would that be a server that an NSA analyst would have access to? My understanding is that he got into information above his pay grade, so to speak, but he did not actually crack into anything.

I have to wonder how he would have this information now. That would entail quite a download. He lived in an airport for a good long while, so it would have had to be with him or on some accessible database.

Just an urban legend would be my guess. I don't know what he could have that would hurt people like myself unless he got into identity theft.

There are servers on which the hire goes in and lists all their information, previous jobs, colleges attended, degrees, etc. HR has your transcripts, but when you leave, I don't think those things are retained. The first time I left, my boss just handed all that stuff back to me because they were going to toss it. They keep grade, step, salary information, etc. at central offices and if you want to return to government service you write the one where yours is stored and request your SF50. While you are employed, you can get all that online. But not after you leave.

Would that be a server that an NSA analyst would have access to? My understanding is that he got into information above his pay grade, so to speak, but he did not actually crack into anything.

I have to wonder how he would have this information now. That would entail quite a download. He lived in an airport for a good long while, so it would have had to be with him or on some accessible database.

Just an urban legend would be my guess. I don't know what he could have that would hurt people like myself unless he got into identity theft.

Exactly my point. It would have been one heck of a download. He would have had to get it while he was in the NSA and had moved it somewhere. My guess is he hand carried all the data out the front door so he would have had to put it on a flash drive or something. A whole bunch of personnel data seems a waste of space unless, as you say, he was into identity theft. It was likely in a different department's server, which he would have absolutely no reason to be assessing so he would have been putting himself in risk of getting caught for no logical reason. This is why my guess would be that he has dumped all he originally had to buy himself time, especially given his paranoia. To keep himself safe a third party has supplied him with, supposedly, the entire government's personnel records. The next question would be who is that third party. A final thought is that if the complete set of personal files are not stored in any one location, or even a small number of locations, then he is most likely bluffing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back