Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MS-13 and other gangs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I am just curious.

All these comic book 'super heroes' in movies today just give me pause to wonder if anyone still recognises what areal hero is any more.

People who put their own lives at risk to save or help someone else..including animals. THAT is a hero.

I am just curious. All these comic book 'super heroes' in movies today just give me pause to wonder if anyone still recognises what areal hero is any more.
The first microbrewery owner.

That's a helluva question. We do tend to look at groups of people as heroes, but no one is a hero all the time, and we're all human. Maybe heroism isn't a full-time gig but more situational, from the soldier or cop who put their life on the line to save the innocent in a dangerous situation to some guy at a bowling alley who just stands up to an asshole to protect someone else.

Maybe we over-use and dilute the term, as we do so many others. Seems to me "hero" is one of those words that should actually mean something. For a change.

People who shun wars and keep us out of them.

You mean like Bill and Rwanda?? Nope.

Those who do what's right even if it's not popular and very hard.

Greg

Actually yes. Be it well known we never do anything for humanitarian reasons, while that was going on we were sanctioning Iraq to death.
A MILLION died, Penny. It could have done with the good DOING SOMETHING!!!

I disagree with you TOTALLY on that.

Greg

I am just curious.

All these comic book 'super heroes' in movies today just give me pause to wonder if anyone still recognises what areal hero is any more.

I don't have any heroes. I figured out that if I don't put people on a pedestal they don't have to fall so far. It's way easier on the both of us.

Greg[/QUOTE]

Greg

Actually yes. Be it well known we never do anything for humanitarian reasons, while that was going on we were sanctioning Iraq to death.

Greg

and yet this was worth it?

Last edited:
My heroes are those men and women in the medical field.

Some are paramedics.
Some are doctors and nurses.
Some are researchers who come up with ways to combat diseases.

I hope that one day a medical scientist will discover a procedure to detect polyps in the colon without forcing people to undergo routine colonoscopies!

Florence Nightingale, of course, is one of my heroes. Tears well up each time I read the following words that were once addressed to her:

"Miss Florence Nightingale, the pioneer of the first Red Cross movement, whose heroic efforts on behalf of suffering humanity will be recognized and admired by all ages as long as the world shall last."

Greg

Greg
Why the US didn't intervene in the Rwandan genocide

Forum List

Back