Solar Panel Roads?

How bout you watch the vid? It talks to you and all that

As I said, the people who are trying to sell you solar panels are not giving you the full picture or an accurate picture.

I wish it would work as well as these folks claim too.
But it doesn't.

You need to educate yourself. Start with Germany.

Renewable energy in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read an article a couple of years ago that stated that Germany has installed solar panels along the usually wasted areas along highways to take advantage of both the unused area and the fact that Germany has limited land available (unlike the USA). Keep in mind that Germany is pretty far north compared to the US. That means that northern Europe has less direct sunlight and shorter days, as well. But they take a can do attitude compared to naysayers in this country.

Yes, they produce about 16% of what they need through photovoltaics.

But unless you have batteries - you can't store electricity. So you don't get electricity at night (these folks claim you can get some from car headlights at night - so that's better than nothing).

I'm not a naysayer and I'd LOVE to see us produce everything we need with solar, wind, hydro, or other renewables. But I've never seen the system that produces what those who are selling it claim it will produce.

I'm not gonna donate anything to these people, but I will watch to see what happens with them. If it performs anywhere close to the way they say it will - and it isn't cost prohibitive, we will all hear an awful lot about it.

Fearing lost profits, the nation's investor-owned utilities are moving to blot out the solar revolution.

For Cynthia Cantero, putting solar panels atop her Oahu, Hawaii, home seemed like a no-brainer. In a state where most electricity is generated by burning pricey imported oil and where electricity rates are three times the U.S. average, she considered making her own power "a godsend."

The 54-year-old cancer patient and mother of five researched and shopped for months to put together her solar deal: She and her husband would secure a home equity loan to pay off mounting medical bills, buy a badly needed new family car, and install a solar array large enough for all of their electricity needs. Their loan payments would be less than the family's current $500-plus monthly electric bill, and once they paid off the note, their home would be powered practically for free.

Math like that has made Hawaii one of the nation's solar leaders, with a higher proportion of solar-powered households than any other state--including 1 in 10 homes on its most populous island, Oahu.

But that same math is denting the revenues of the state's dominant utility, Hawaiian Electric Company. After Cantero's loan closed and her family had fully committed to going solar, Hawaiian Electric refused to approve their system. Homemade solar power, the utility notified her, had saturated the grid, threatening its reliability and safety. Circuits could malfunction and voltage could spike, it claimed, causing blackouts and brownouts. Cantero would have to wait while Hawaiian Electric studied the matter, then possibly pay thousands of dollars to help the utility upgrade its circuits. A thousand other Hawaii households were consigned to a similar solar limbo; Jeff Mikulina, executive director of the state's Blue Planet Foundation, called it a "de facto moratorium on solar."

Throwing Shade | Sierra Club

BTW, the Koch Brothers are mentioned in this link, for the kochroaches who think the brother Kochs are gods please protect yourself by self censor - cognitive dissonance may cause a brown out or worse in your brain circuitry.

Last edited:
debbie-downer.jpg

Reality is a downer. That's why libs are always so glum.

Silly ass. We are not the ones that are continually harping on how it cannot be done, and won't work anyway. We would still be hunting aurochs with sharp sticks if all of us had your attitude.

Those who think the impossible can be done usually do it with their own money. When they want to use your money to do the impossible, we call them quacks or con-artists.

Interesting, from what I say the other night about artificially intelligent machines and how they can teach each other, I won't discount anything out of hand. I think this one is a long way off.

I was just going to post this so I guess that's not needed now.

Like others have mentioned I didn't see anything about how they would plan to store the energy to be used at night when they become energy consuming devices as opposed to producers.

But what I like is that this came from two people using their own funding to produce and test the panels. Apparently they got a grant from the Highway Administration for two prototypes, I don't like that. Don't hand them a half billion dollars like Solyndra by any means. I would prefer some bigger company install them in their parking lots and let's see how that goes.

Let's have Walmart or any other volunteer install them in the parking lot of a store and see how they perform. Let's see if the extra costs of installation prove to be worth it. Let's see if they can actually take a store completely off grid for a day. If a company like that evaluates the system as a net gain and not a loss then the product will sell itself. We won't need any government funding and in the end once it proves to be a benefit then the public roads will also benefit the tax payers with a better product.

Private sector testing will make or break this idea. Keep the government out of it.

Awesome idea, things have come a long way since the dirt road, but haven't really changed much since Eisenhower. Some seem to be content to live with '50s technology.

Like others have mentioned I didn't see anything about how they would plan to store the energy to be used at night when they become energy consuming devices as opposed to producers.

But what I like is that this came from two people using their own funding to produce and test the panels. Apparently they got a grant from the Highway Administration for two prototypes, I don't like that. Don't hand them a half billion dollars like Solyndra by any means. I would prefer some bigger company install them in their parking lots and let's see how that goes.

Let's have Walmart or any other volunteer install them in the parking lot of a store and see how they perform. Let's see if the extra costs of installation prove to be worth it. Let's see if they can actually take a store completely off grid for a day. If a company like that evaluates the system as a net gain and not a loss then the product will sell itself. We won't need any government funding and in the end once it proves to be a benefit then the public roads will also benefit the tax payers with a better product.

Private sector testing will make or break this idea. Keep the government out of it.

More words of wisdom from the guy who believes that Ford didn't take bailout monies. :poop:

Solyndra, as well as every solar panel manufacturer was whipped out by China subsidizing their companies.

More words of wisdom from the guy who believes that Ford didn't take bailout monies. :poop:

Solyndra, as well as every solar panel manufacturer was whipped out by China subsidizing their companies.

I know you aren't very sharp but you did remember Solyndra was given a half billion dollars in subsidies and failed right?

The presentation in the O. P. was almost certainly part of an application for a Federal Grant.

They'll likely hire a Loon Lawyer who went to school with Mrs. Obama or Eric Holder, and they'll score a hundred million dollar grant made available with money borrowed from China which is opening up one new coal plant a week.

You would make R.L. Stine jealous with your fabrication and story telling abilities

I guess the folks at Solyndra read that book too.

Usually you are more sensible than that. Ever hear of a Whippet? Every new technology is going to have a lot of losers. In fact, more losers than winners.

Who knew Obama was around to subsidize The Overland Motor Car Company? Oh, wait, He wasn't - therefore nature took its course rather than it becoming the prototype for the recall-ridden Government Motors products infecting the highways today.

Who knew Obama was around to subsidize The Overland Motor Car Company? Oh, wait, He wasn't - therefore nature took its course rather than it becoming the prototype for the recall-ridden Government Motors products infecting the highways today.

Aren't you Canadian?

Forum List

Back