SOLUTIONS: What Congress should do. . . .

Hold on a sec. Did I just witness a conservative concede the fact that Congress is not exempt from Obamacare? I think my head might explode with joy! After debunking that lie so many times....and never getting anyone to concede the point....I had all but given up!

Thank you Fox. You have left me a glimmer of hope.

Now....to the remainder of your OP:

The grandfather clause is not necessary. If the American people do not like it, the law can be amended if needed later on. Or..it can be repealed.

The Democrats do own it. That is clear. They will get credit.......or blame. No agreement is needed.

There you go.

Yes, I know that the public information is that Congress will be subject to Obamacare, but will retain certain advantages as was indicated in the US News article you linked. But Politico and some other 'underground' news sources also report that both Democrat and Republican leadership has been negotiating behind closed doors to find a way to exempt members of Congress, their families, and their staffs from Obamacare. It is uncertain how many concessions they have been able to finigle at this time.

And, yes, the grandfather clause IS necessary in order to maintain fiscal accountability. At any rate, what is the harm? If most Americans like it after a year, it will be affirmed on a substantial bipartisan vote. If most Americans don't like it, then the Democrats will have to vote to continue it and take their lumps or they will have the option to do the right thing and deep six it and thereby perhaps have a chance to salvage their political careers.

And you didn't comment on the part of my plan that requires the well over a thousand and counting waivers the administration has given to various groups and businesses--1800 if you go by Nancy Pelosi's math-to be included now. They would not be given temporary or permanent waivers and would be subject to the same laws as everybody else. Doesn't that seem fair if the law is as good as its advertising?

Businesses have different responsibilities in meeting the law's requirements than people do. Corporations are not people. The waivers and the employee mandate delay are absolutely unrelated to the individual mandate.....which is a cornerstone of the legislation.

Then the legislation that the House and Senate passed should have stipulated that and should not have included those businesses in the first place. And no waivers and ater-the-fact (to save his political tush) should be necessary by Obama. If corporations can be given waivers, then the average folks like you and me should also be able to get a waiver. Since we can't then put the full law into effect so that some are not advantaged whle others are disadvantaged. What's good for the goose and all that. . . .

The law passed in the house, passed in the senate, was signed by the POTUS and survived a Supreme Court challenge.

The implementation of any law is subject to revision and policy level decisions. To pretend otherwise in the case of THIS law is disingenuous. You know this. Why keep up the farce?

The law passed in the house, passed in the senate, was signed by the POTUS and survived a Supreme Court challenge.

The implementation of any law is subject to revision and policy level decisions. To pretend otherwise in the case of THIS law is disingenuous. You know this. Why keep up the farce?

What is disingenuous is the pretense that the law we got is the law we were promised that we would get. So many MANY things are not turning out as we were promised when they were selling this to us. And now as more and more people are seeing and admitting the truth about that, each passing month and each subsequent poll shows more and more Americans opposing the ACA.

In short the people believe they have been lied to and are having something forced down their throats they don't want and believe to be harmful. And the fact that those supporting big gun Democrats are getting exemptions and waivers from the law is really sticking in peoples' craws.

THAT is why I propose we allow the law to go forward, but only if it is applied uniformly across the board with no advantages of any kind given to members of Congress or federal employees or anybody else. And I propose to give them an easy out to get rid of this turkey in a year or so by allowing it to expire unless Congress in good conscience can vote to keep it going.

That's fine. I really didn't expect any diehard Democrats or Obama worshippers to go along with it. I was just curious who would have the courage of their convictions and agree to it as a workable and reasonable compromise and solution.

You know what I wish the Congress had done re the Affordable Care Act? I wish the Republicans had been smart and agreed to fund every component of Obamacare with the only stipulations that:

A. It would go into effect as originally passed with NO EXEMPTIONS for anybody. All the groups the President has (unlawfully?) exempted or allowed to opt out of the law for now would no longer be exempted. All members of Congress, their staffs, all federal employees would get their insurance coverage through the exchanges like everybody else is expected to and everybody will be subject to the law.

B. It would include a grandfather clause and would cease to exist on January 1, 2015, UNLESS Congress votes to continue it after it has been running for one year.

C. And the Democrats would own it. If it is a roaring success they get the credit. And if it is not, they get the blame.

If it is all its supporters say it is, then it should be good for everybody and there should be no exemptions. Let's try it out and see if it works.

And if it is all its advertising promises for it, the people will be demanding their elected representatives continue it beyond January 2015.

Would the Democrats in Congress vote for that? Or would they support the GOP in killing or postponing it now?

What do you think?

Finally a healthy thinking, trying to find a solution instead of blame. Well said!

Forum List

Back