South Dakota Resisted Shutdown, Now It's a Hotspot

Cali is dealing effectively?

California24,371+232731+4
LOL..not big on stats, are you? Lessee..first you look at the total population of California..than you look at the projected cases statewide..absent any measures...than you look at the current stats. You make a per capita breakdown..and than you compare it others--like say..New York. You make a curve...and see what the difference in the projections is..lock-down vs no lock-down.

I'm not going to bother...having already read the breakdowns--but if you're interested in a true picture--that's what it takes. Besides..on this forum..once you mention California..all good sense and reason flies out the window.
7 PER MILLION ............YAWN

By the way SD only has
South Dakota8686
LOL...tell me--in a state of 900,000...just what the per capita breakdown is---and to tune it in a bit better...tell me..in a city the size of Sioux Falls..what the per capita breakdown is?

then...parse it out doing the same thing with other rural states that observed the protocol? No..you don't get to use Cali or NY..that's apples and oranges because of population density.

LOL..not big on stats, are you? Lessee..first you look at the total population of California..than you look at the projected cases statewide..absent any measures...than you look at the current stats. You make a per capita breakdown..and than you compare it others--like say..New York. You make a curve...and see what the difference in the projections is..lock-down vs no lock-down.

I'm not going to bother...having already read the breakdowns--but if you're interested in a true picture--that's what it takes. Besides..on this forum..once you mention California..all good sense and reason flies out the window.
Cali 19 deaths per million pop., SD 7

th

Versus SD's 868 per million?? Yawn ...indeed!

Versus SD's 868 per million?? Yawn ...indeed!

yawn indeed

I guess we needed a test case..for those that believe the social distancing and stay at home orders were not needed:

As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.
Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”
And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.
Increasingly exasperated local leaders, public health experts and front-line medical workers begged Noem to intervene Monday with a more aggressive state response.
“A shelter-in-place order is needed now. It is needed today,” said Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken, whose city is at the center of South Dakota’s outbreak and who has had to improvise with voluntary recommendations in the absence of statewide action.

But over the course of last week, the numbers surged as the virus ripped through the city’s Smithfield Foods production plant, a colossus that employs 3,700 people — many of them immigrants — and churns out 18 million servings of pork product per day.
On Monday alone, 57 more workers were confirmed to have positive diagnoses, bringing the total well above 300 — and making it one of the country’s largest clusters. Other major clusters include Cook County Jail in Chicago and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.
The Smithfield cases amount to more than a third of the state’s overall total, which stood at 868 on Monday, including six deaths, in a state of nearly 900,000 people.
Over the weekend, Smithfield bowed to growing pressure and said it would shutter the facility indefinitely in a bid to contain the spread — though Smithfield leaders cautioned that the action could severely disrupt the nation’s food supplies. The factory, like other food production facilities, had earlier been deemed essential by the federal government.

The shutdown of the Sioux Falls plant, coupled with other closures, “is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply,” Kenneth Sullivan, Smithfield president and chief executive, said in a statement. “It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running.”

The pork factory is another case like NYC..... too many per capita in a condensed environment. One slip up in the protocall destroys 999 successful precautions. You're right it's not politics it's biology and I'm telling you this cannot be stopped and very likely cannot even be controlled.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try but I don't think you're going to find a real connection between shelter in place and contagion factors....after the shelter is over the contagion will pick up right where it left off...it has to go through the herd maybe even twice. Looking back a year from now
and averaging in the numbers before and after the shelter rules will be a very interesting case study.

Panic does nothing but make people....well....Panic.

JO

Cali 19 deaths per million pop., SD 7
LOL..and that's why i like stats..you pick the one you like..and ignore the one I like. 868 per million infected SD.

This woman has come up with some of the most ridiculous excuses for not shutting down her state.

Now, they have one of the largest hot spots in the nation with limited health care for the people.

Rural areas don't have very good health care services nor do they have very much available to the people. Nor do they have enough of the proper equipment to handle the amount of people with the virus.

Republicans. The party of death.

SD has 800 cases reported in a huge state with miles of roadway between cities....many towns are very small and secluded...I don't know who labeled them a new hot spot but they are near the bottom of new cases just above HI....so I'm guessing more fake news is linked to this thread....The first casualty of this virus was the truth.....and dems just can't shake lying about it....how sad....

So how's your solution working out in Michigan? New York?
My solution..is working fine..in the other 10,000+ places you neglect to mention--including Idaho, where I live. Our Republican Gov.--a man with sense and foresight--gave the appropriate orders. Other than the Sun Valley area in Blaine county--which was infected early by affluent out-of-staters fleeing their states--we are seeing cases and deaths below projections.
I also note that California..the State ya love to hate..is also dealing effectively.

My point? Using political logic to attempt to defeat a epidemic is a fools game..and this Gov. is a fool.
We'll let the facts speak for themselves. Get back to us when your tard shitholes have results like this
Screenshot-20200414-110350-Chrome.jpg

SD has 800 cases reported in a huge state with miles of roadway between cities....many towns are very small and secluded...I don't know who labeled them a new hot spot but they are near the bottom of new cases just above HI....so I'm guessing more fake news is linked to this thread....The first casualty of this virus was the truth.....and dems just can't shake lying about it....how sad....

I think specifically the problem is Sioux Falls. Smithfield Farms is now shut down due to the number of virus outbreaks at its facility. This brings into question the future of our country's food supply and how vulnerable it may be if workers are catching the virus from the public and spreading it at work. I think those states where our essential workers are employed not just at your local grocery store but at facilities that serve the country have a responsibility to ensure their safety. Clearly not happening in South Dakota.

Hmmmm.

Okay, so they're up in arms over the fact that 300 people at a pork processing facility have tested positive. I can understand that. But some observations, particularly regarding this:

With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

If the closing of the facility threatens the U.S. food supply, then undoubtedly the facility would be considered "essential". As such, it would stand to reason that those people working there would be considered "essential employees".

A "stay at home" order would've had little, if any, impact on the workers in the facility, but that seems to be the direction the article is trying to go...

South Dakota has less than 1,000 cases and 6 fucking deaths.

What a load of bullshit MarcATL

I've noticed you've loaded the board with other bullshit threads too.

I've responded asking for proof on a couple of them. And, well, I'm still waiting.

Major thread fail. He didn't even blame Trump. :abgg2q.jpg:

***chuckles***

As i said, on this forum..all you have to do is mention California..even peripherally, then the knees get to jerkin'!
You do realize that food manufacturers, processors, etc. were deemed essential workers in California, right?
3E93E0F5-488A-4173-BCFF-AE456D735255.png

Forum List

Back