Speaker Paul Ryan: There Will Be No Religious Test For Syrian Refugees

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON -- Legislation to restrict the flow of Syrian refugees into the United States will not include a religious test, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said on Wednesday.

After the Friday terrorist attacks in Paris, which left 129 people dead, some Republicans have called for the U.S. to accept only Christian refugees fleeing Syria, not Muslims. The Islamic State took credit for the assault, and a Syrian passport was also found near the body of one of the suicide bombers.

In response, the House will take up legislation this week that will effectively "pause" the Syrian refugee program. But "I will also point out that we will not have a religious test, only a security test," Ryan said of the bill in one of his first speeches as speaker on the House floor.

More: Paul Ryan: There Will Be No Religious Test For Syrian Refugees

Although I rarely agree with Paul Ryan on anything - I certainly agree with him on this! We have a "Godless" secular Constitution which does not favor any religion.

Refugee 'Religious Test'......Federal Law Requires It.

Under federal law, the executive branch is expressly required to take religion into account in determining who is granted asylum.

Under the provision governing asylum (section 1158 of Title 8, U.S. Code), an alien applying for admission must establish that ... religion... was or will be at least one central reason for persecuting the applicant.

Moreover, to qualify for asylum in the United States, the applicant must be a 'refugee' as defined by federal law. That definition (set forth in Section 1101(a)(42)(A) of Title , U.S. Code) also requires the executive branch to take account of the alien's religion: The term 'refugee' means (A) any person who is outside any country of such person's nationality ... and who is unable or unwilling to return to ... that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of ... religion ...[.]

Refugee 'Religious Test'......Federal Law Requires It.

Under federal law, the executive branch is expressly required to take religion into account in determining who is granted asylum.

Under the provision governing asylum (section 1158 of Title 8, U.S. Code), an alien applying for admission must establish that ... religion... was or will be at least one central reason for persecuting the applicant.

Moreover, to qualify for asylum in the United States, the applicant must be a 'refugee' as defined by federal law. That definition (set forth in Section 1101(a)(42)(A) of Title , U.S. Code) also requires the executive branch to take account of the alien's religion: The term 'refugee' means (A) any person who is outside any country of such person's nationality ... and who is unable or unwilling to return to ... that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of ... religion ...[.]

I think you have your interpretation of "religious test" ASS BACKWARDS!

Forum List

Back