Sperm donor to lesbian couple ordered to pay child support

Look, Im not someone who would turn to Craigslist for sperm, and it seems weird to me too, but that was their choice. Even if they had gone to a sperm bank to purchase the sperm and had it shipped home , the way the law is written, the donor could still be held liable for support.

Then they should go back and write a new law...

I mean, darn, why didn't they just claim that she met this guy in a bar and didn't catch his name! That would have saved him some trouble.

I kind of have to wonder how they had all his information to give him up. And kept it all this time.

I agree the law needs rewritten. It seems clear to me that at the very least technology has surpassed the law.

As to why they gave him up, the state threatened them. The mother went in to apply for Medicare and made it clear to the worker that her child had two mothers, through a sperm donation. However, the worker told her that since they didn't go through a doctor the state didn't care, and if they didn't give up his name their baby would be denied coverage.

Obviously, the Medicare worker had never read "Johnny has two mommies" when she attended the govt indoctrination center. The low-life females lied to the guy. They didn't keep their end of the bargain.

Last edited:
Then they should have went to another sperm bank until they found one that said yes...

Look, Im not someone who would turn to Craigslist for sperm, and it seems weird to me too, but that was their choice. Even if they had gone to a sperm bank to purchase the sperm and had it shipped home , the way the law is written, the donor could still be held liable for support.

Even ifnyou think the law is stupid it is your responsibility to either follow the law or face the consequences.

Who says they didn't consult a lawyer?

Like I said before, if this were a hetrosexual couple, the state would not be going after the donor, even if the father had never formally adopted the child.

Even ifnyou think the law is stupid it is your responsibility to either follow the law or face the consequences.

Like I said before, if this were a hetrosexual couple, the state would not be going after the donor, even if the father had never formally adopted the child.

If they consuoted a lawyer it was a shitty one ajd they have a case againat them. A lawyer would have kept thia guy out of family court

.ps yes they would. Do you unders tand english? The welfare is why the state got involved

If people were allowed to learn from their mistakes, instead of the government subsidizing every really bad decision that can be made, from drug use to promiscuity to outright criminal activity, then we'd be in a much better place.
Amen to this. The reason why certain things are done these days is because of the safety net that now exists.

The poor child is the victim here. Three idiots played their sick game with a human life.
Amen to this as well. To me, people who treat others, let alone kids, as a prop to get what they want are inhuman.

One of my first threads on this forum kind of concerned this topic. If women can opt out of parenthood by aborting a child without so much as consulting with the father of the child, then a man should also have an option of opting out of parenthood. Prior to birth, at the very least, a man should be able to opt out and not have to pay any child support or have anything to do with the child. It is a disgusting double standard that women can say "no thanks" to the good ole stork and abort the child, even if the father wants to keep it, but that a man can't opt out as well. Apparently they are good enough to help you get pregnant and to pay for the child if you decide to keep it, but not good enough to include in the decision to rear a child.
I agree. Just because the female does the carrying of the baby does not mean that the final decision is hers only when she couldn't do the conceiving of the baby alone.

God bless you three always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. To me, the only reason why the sperm donor is being ordered to pay is because the government does not want to be the one who has to when the couple who have been parenting the child are who wanted the child in the first place. It shouldn't matter how the baby got here. All that matters is who wants to be its mom and dad. Should those who put their kids up for adoption worry that they will soon be ordered to pay for the child that they gave up if the people that adopted the child one day can't do the providing anymore?

.ps yes they would. Do you unders tand english? The welfare is why the state got involved

No, they wouldn't. The state would have accepted the ex husband had assumed the role of father and persued him for support, but since the ex is a woman they are going after the donor. The state has been known to often persue father figures who aren't biology related to the child.

No, they wouldn't. The state would have accepted the ex husband had assumed the role of father and persued him for support, but since the ex is a woman they are going after the donor. The state has been known to often persue father figures who aren't biology related to the child.
l

Yes they have but not when the biological father is available and there was no legal connection between the child and said nonbiological father.

If this couple had followed the actual adoption procedure then she would he on the hook. Instead the state denies the very existence of the adoption and so they have no standingnto go after her for child support.

Its complicated and messy for sure but with millions of cases around the nation if cses didnt follow their procedures theyd never get anything collected . I mean seriously the average case worker hasnsomething like 50 cases open at any given time.

These people screwed upm bottom line

I doubt this would have happened to a straight couple. This will also happen again unless laws are changed.

But it does. If these people had done run an ad and then gone to a doctor so he could take all the fun out of it we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So you disagree with me then turn around and make my point. Alrighty then.

Like I said if this had gone the normal route she wouldn't even know who the father is. The law does not disagree with that. Now he gets to pay.

It wouldn't matter what route it had gone if they had used a doctor, or if one of them had been a doctor.

They did use a doctor. You should actually read the article. For the third time it has nothing to do with why this happened.

Seriously how hard is it to figure out why the state might go to lengths to make sure parents are supporting a child before any welfare ia given?

So you disagree with me then turn around and make my point. Alrighty then.

Like I said if this had gone the normal route she wouldn't even know who the father is. The law does not disagree with that. Now he gets to pay.

It wouldn't matter what route it had gone if they had used a doctor, or if one of them had been a doctor.

They did use a doctor. You should actually read the article. For the third time it has nothing to do with why this happened.

Marotta responded to a Craigslist ad in 2009 posted by Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner that they were seeking a sperm donor. The parties signed paperwork at the time which absolved Marotta of any financial obligations or parental responsibilities. So that should have been the end of it.

Except for one buried stipulation contained within Kansas statute 23-2208(f), which states that artificial insemination must be performed by a licensed physician. In this instance it was not and the state's position is that this now invalidates the agreement.

"In cases where the parties do not go through a physician or a clinic, there remains the question of who actually is the father of a child or children," a spokeswoman for the Department of Children and Families said earlier this week. "DCF is required by statute to establish paternity and then pursue child support from the noncustodial parent."

Sperm donor ordered to pay child support! | HLNtv.com

Marotta responded to a Craigslist ad in 2009 posted by Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner that they were seeking a sperm donor. The parties signed paperwork at the time which absolved Marotta of any financial obligations or parental responsibilities. So that should have been the end of it.

Except for one buried stipulation contained within Kansas statute 23-2208(f), which states that artificial insemination must be performed by a licensed physician. In this instance it was not and the state's position is that this now invalidates the agreement.

"In cases where the parties do not go through a physician or a clinic, there remains the question of who actually is the father of a child or children," a spokeswoman for the Department of Children and Families said earlier this week. "DCF is required by statute to establish paternity and then pursue child support from the noncustodial parent."

Sperm donor ordered to pay child support! | HLNtv.com

So as was stated 26 pages ago. This guy is in trouble because he did something as serious as donate sperm without Consulting attorney who would've advised him of the law and kept this from happening.

Then they should have went to another sperm bank until they found one that said yes...

Then they should go back and write a new law...

I mean, darn, why didn't they just claim that she met this guy in a bar and didn't catch his name! That would have saved him some trouble.

I kind of have to wonder how they had all his information to give him up. And kept it all this time.

Gee, they had a contract, probably had medical history and all the other things a sane person would be concerned about in this type of thing. Why on Earth would they have his name?

Kids are more important than adults in these cases and should be protected because we don't grant them the same rights as adults.

That you can't see that speaks volumes.

Kids are more important than governments, and should definitely be protected from them, which is why I don't understand your insistence that the government has a say in this at all.

Because they went to the government asking them to foot the bill for this kid.

Only because the government just decided that it should be in charge of medical care.

If they consuoted a lawyer it was a shitty one ajd they have a case againat them. A lawyer would have kept thia guy out of family court

Because we all know the government never gets the law wrong.

Forum List

Back