still dying on Mt Everest

they don't even climb it themselves ---the Sherpas do all the work

I saw a photo of the traffic jam going up. It is unbelievable.

Here it is, taken May, 2019

upload_2019-5-27_17-14-34.jpeg

It's getting ridiculous on Everest. Once you get above 8000 meters and into the "death zone", you obviously need supplemental oxygen. That's no problem as long as you can keep moving to the summit, and head straight back down.
The problem today, they get these traffic jams on the ropes, and climbers are forced to wait sometimes several hours, for other climbers to summit and descend.
Many end up running out of oxygen due to the wait time and end up becoming oxygen starved. If they don't get dragged back down the mountain to a safe altitude, they die.

Anyone ever read the story about "Green Boots" ? This guy has been on the mountain since 1996.

1024px-Green_Boots.jpg

I watched a documentary about the bodies still on Everest. People will actually use them as landmarks to help their climb.

It's getting ridiculous on Everest. Once you get above 8000 meters and into the "death zone", you obviously need supplemental oxygen. That's no problem as long as you can keep moving to the summit, and head straight back down.
The problem today, they get these traffic jams on the ropes, and climbers are forced to wait sometimes several hours, for other climbers to summit and descend.
Many end up running out of oxygen due to the wait time and end up becoming oxygen starved. If they don't get dragged back down the mountain to a safe altitude, they die.

Anyone ever read the story about "Green Boots" ? This guy has been on the mountain since 1996.

1024px-Green_Boots.jpg

Funny you posted about the same time as me. "Green Boots" is one of the most famous landmarks on Everest.

Make stupid choices. I already know my sea-level ass would probably explode up that high, so fuck that!

..they died in 1996 because of a bottleneck also
the humans become fixated/obsessed to the point of insanity
....one of the deaths in 1996 was one climber that didn't make it on a previous trip--so it seems he had no business trying this dangerous quest
British Climber Dies on Everest as Traffic Jam’s Toll Rises to 10
1996 Mount Everest disaster - Wikipedia

A lot of things went horridly bad on that particular climb. Terrible tragedy. Yeah, some of it man made tragedy. Humans seem to be experts at causing or at least helping along monsterous happenings. I read Krakauers book and it was maddening and heart breaking. You think so often- if only!

Doug had tried the climb before and failed, it's true. He's in good company. There are a lot of things we try and fail at, yet we try again and again. I see no reason why he shouldn't have taken another chance if he wanted to.

I could never have made that climb and wouldn't want to, but I have respect and an understanding of those with the yearning and courage to try.

....one of the deaths in 1996 was one climber that didn't make it on a previous trip--so it seems he had no business trying this dangerous quest

A lot of things went horridly bad on that particular climb. Terrible tragedy. Yeah, some of it man made tragedy. Humans seem to be experts at causing or at least helping along monsterous happenings. I read Krakauers book and it was maddening and heart breaking. You think so often- if only!

Doug had tried the climb before and failed, it's true. He's in good company. There are a lot of things we try and fail at, yet we try again and again. I see no reason why he shouldn't have taken another chance if he wanted to.

I could never have made that climb and wouldn't want to, but I have respect and an understanding of those with the yearning and courage to try.
I read his book also ...well written

they don't even climb it themselves ---the Sherpas do all the work

They have sherpas to help but they do make the climb themselves. Do you think they each get their own sherpa and ride to the top on their head?

Someone needs to manage the traffic

Cut off ascents at a certain number of climbers
No reason there should be a line to get to the top

Forum List

Back