Storm-walloped Floridians Bend/Grease Up!

I just have to go without. Either pay an exorbitant amount for something I likely won't need, or go without and hope nothing goes wrong.

Hell of a situation. The catastrophic care insurance I used to carry at a reasonable rate is no longer offered.

But, the silver lining is concierge doctor care for $60 a month takes care of all our preventive medical needs. Plus, there is no collection mechanism in place for the feds to collect the penalty..sorry guys, as long as I owe ya, you'll never really be broke. :lol:

Umm mr.Silverlinings you do know that you are a heart atack away from bankruptcy and your ”preventative care” won’t pay for any medical emergency, don’t you?

Why should I be on the hook tomorrow for your irresponsibility today?

I suppose for the exact same reason you're wanting me to pay $4,000 extra a year for insurance I don't need and don't use.

Before Obamacare I HAD INSURANCE. You fucked yourself. Deal with the consequences.

OK, so a lot of people in Florida had their homes damaged and lost their jobs but that wasn't punishment enough.

Hope. Now they get to pay up to $17,000/year for a family of four for their woefully inadequate, high-deductible Obamacare! That's, for some, 71% more than last year.

Health Insurers in Florida Request Premium Rate Hikes as High as 71%

Where are the "Thank You ex--president Obama"? Or are there just none because nobody left in Florida can afford a sheet of cardboard, a stick, or even a felt-tip marker?

You. Are. An. Idiot.

Do you know what percentage of Floridians actually purchase insurance via the ACA exchanges?

Go ahead. Learn something.
You believe that's an argument supporting Obamacare? Really?

Dumb ass.

The premium increases you speak of only effect 12.7% of Floridians ( % who buy insurance on the individual market ) and 90% of them get subsidies to make the cost manageable.

You. Don’t. Know. What. You. Are. Talking. About.

FURTHER - major part of the reason for that increase is...REPUBLICANS distabilizing the markets.

They can “repeal and replace” with god knows what on any given day and Trump suggests to the people mandate will not be enforced, also threatens to not go through with cost-sharing subsidies.

How the hell can you stay in the market without pricing in all this uncertainty???

I just have to go without. Either pay an exorbitant amount for something I likely won't need, or go without and hope nothing goes wrong.

Hell of a situation. The catastrophic care insurance I used to carry at a reasonable rate is no longer offered.

But, the silver lining is concierge doctor care for $60 a month takes care of all our preventive medical needs. Plus, there is no collection mechanism in place for the feds to collect the penalty..sorry guys, as long as I owe ya, you'll never really be broke. :lol:

Umm mr.Silverlinings you do know that you are a heart atack away from bankruptcy and your ”preventative care” won’t pay for any medical emergency, don’t you?

I suppose for the exact same reason you're wanting me to pay $4,000 extra a year for insurance I don't need and don't use.

Before Obamacare I HAD INSURANCE. You fucked yourself. Deal with the consequences.

How the fuck can you know that you will not have a medical emergency??

What I know, with 100% certainty, is that everyday there is a don’t-need-no-insurance-yahoo getting towed away in an ambulance or getting a cancer diagnosis.

I don’t know what insurance you had and how ACA effected it, but I do know that ACA dropped uninsured rate by almost half and is directly responsible for Many millions more people having insurance today.

Last edited:
OK, so a lot of people in Florida had their homes damaged and lost their jobs but that wasn't punishment enough.

Hope. Now they get to pay up to $17,000/year for a family of four for their woefully inadequate, high-deductible Obamacare! That's, for some, 71% more than last year.

Where are the "Thank You ex--president Obama"? Or are there just none because nobody left in Florida can afford a sheet of cardboard, a stick, or even a felt-tip marker?

You. Are. An. Idiot.

Do you know what percentage of Floridians actually purchase insurance via the ACA exchanges?

Dumb ass.

The premium increases you speak of only effect 12.7% of Floridians ( % who buy insurance on the individual market ) and 90% of them get subsidies to make the cost manageable.

FURTHER - major part of the reason for that increase is...REPUBLICANS distabilizing the markets.

They can “repeal and replace” with god knows what on any given day and Trump suggests to the people mandate will not be enforced, also threatens to not go through with cost-sharing subsidies.

How the hell can you stay in the market without pricing in all this uncertainty???

It's the Republicans fault that Obamacare is a failure?

You're serious?

Back when I had a reasonably priced insurance plan tailored to my needs and not a liberals wet dream, I didn't have to worry about it. I had a plan to cover emergencies...and not birth control. It cost $172 per month for both of us. Now I have to do a cost to benefit analysis. That's what adults do, they make decisions that are best for them...they don't need the government to hold their hand, offer a teat and mandate what is best.

In my case, the cost outweighs the benefit. I look at my overall health situation and what Obamacare would cost...and so far it has saved me $18,000. That's a new car, paid for in full, or half of a rental house in my area, an investment that will make money...IOW, not chicken feed.

When you grow up and get a job and pay your own bills, you'll understand.

Last edited:

You. Are. An. Idiot.

Dumb ass.

You're serious?

“Failure”? In your fantasies.

In reality ACA was successful enough so that Republicans could not repeal it even with full majorities and a I-will-sign-any-shit-bill-you-put-on-my-desk White House.

They are now busy dining on a tasty shoe while Trump is begging Democrats to jump in and give him something to claim.

And without the ACA they’d have no health insurance at all.

This illustrates the idiocy of the right: repeal the ACA and replace it with nothing, or worse than nothing as represented by Republican ‘replacement plans,’ and return to the bad old days when millions of American had no access to affordable healthcare.

Back when I had a reasonably priced insurance plan tailored to my needs and not a liberals wet dream, I didn't have to worry about it. I had a plan to cover emergencies...and not birth control. It cost $172 per month for both of us. Now I have to do a cost to benefit analysis. That's what adults do, they make decisions that are best for them...they don't need the government to hold their hand, offer a teat and mandate what is best.

In my case, the cost outweighs the benefit. I look at my overall health situation and what Obamacare would cost...and so far it has saved me $18,000. That's a new car, paid for in full, or half of a rental house in my area, an investment that will make money...IOW, not chicken feed.

When you grow up and get a job and pay your own bills, you'll understand.

I work at a hospital and I see people get wrecked by medical bills all the time.

They also thought it was a great deal to go without coverage...until one day when they learned it wasn’t.

Think twice.

P.S. Yoir math is false, 4000-172x12 is your annual cost increase, not sure WHEN it became 4000 a year though as it increases every year.

For context, in a decade before ACA insurance cost about doubled, did ACA cause that too?

Last edited:
I work at a hospital and I see people get wrecked by medical bills all the time.

They also thought it was a great deal to go without coverage...until one day when they learned it wasn’t.

Think twice.

Good advice. Like I said, before Obamacare, I had insurance. Now it is just too expensive.

I'm hoping Trump's "across state lines" insurance and relaxing of the mandate executive orders will expand the catastrophic insurance market. If not, we are looking at a cost sharing non-Obamacare plan like Medi-share.

Think twice.

Good advice. Like I said, before Obamacare, I had insurance. Now it is just too expensive.

I'm hoping Trump's "across state lines" insurance and relaxing of the mandate executive orders will expand the catastrophic insurance market. If not, we are looking at a cost sharing non-Obamacare plan like Medi-share.

It won’t.

The way cheap insurance worked is primarily by slicing up the risk pool so it covered healthy demographics and kept risky and sick people out all together or separated into expensive pools.

That is no longer legal, no matter what state hypothetical insurance office is in.

Didn't know this:

Coverage is considered unaffordable if the lowest cost Bronze-level plan available to you through the Marketplace in 2017 is more than 8.16% of your household income.

The total cost to you must be more than 8.16%, accounting for any premium tax credit you would qualify for if you enrolled in that plan.

If you qualify for this exemption, it may apply to everybody on your tax return.

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/2017/details/marketplace-affordability

Didn't know this:

Coverage is considered unaffordable if the lowest cost Bronze-level plan available to you through the Marketplace in 2017 is more than 8.16% of your household income.

The total cost to you must be more than 8.16%, accounting for any premium tax credit you would qualify for if you enrolled in that plan.

If you qualify for this exemption, it may apply to everybody on your tax return.

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/2017/details/marketplace-affordability

Yea, there are a bunch of provisions that speak to AFORDABLE in ACA.

If 4000 really makes up more than 8% of your income you should be eligible for some subsidies too, unless you are right on that upper edge.

You. Are. An. Idiot.

Dumb ass.

You're serious?

“Failure”? In your fantasies.

In reality ACA was successful enough so that Republicans could not repeal it even with full majorities and a I-will-sign-any-shit-bill-you-put-on-my-desk White House.

They are now busy dining on a tasty shoe while Trump is begging Democrats to jump in and give him something to claim.
Your definition of "success" is a government program that puts so many people on the government tit that the politicians are afraid to repeal it.

And without the ACA they’d have no health insurance at all.

This illustrates the idiocy of the right: repeal the ACA and replace it with nothing, or worse than nothing as represented by Republican ‘replacement plans,’ and return to the bad old days when millions of American had no access to affordable healthcare.
A bronze plan is effectively having no health insurance at all. No one can afford a $17,000 deductible, or a plan that doesn't cover your prescriptions.

Trump and Republicans are sabotaging Obama care, that's why it's going up in price.....they could not kill it by vote, so they are going the down and dirty route...

Google it....

So, should have just let everyone die.

I call BS on your catastrophic insurance .

Hey, should the real question be how much they pay in flood insurance? Cause they all seem to suck off FEMA every time a storm comes

Catastrophic Health Plan - HealthCare.gov Glossary

"To qualify for a Catastrophic plan, you must be under 30 years old OR get a "hardship exemption" because the Marketplace determined that you’re unable to afford health coverage."

Hardship exemptions, forms, and how to apply

I'm over 30 and hardship exemptions are only for things like homelessness, bankruptcy, death in the family...etc.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

And what did your catastrophic plan cover?

I call BS on your catastrophic insurance .

Hey, should the real question be how much they pay in flood insurance? Cause they all seem to suck off FEMA every time a storm comes

Catastrophic Health Plan - HealthCare.gov Glossary

"To qualify for a Catastrophic plan, you must be under 30 years old OR get a "hardship exemption" because the Marketplace determined that you’re unable to afford health coverage."

Hardship exemptions, forms, and how to apply

I'm over 30 and hardship exemptions are only for things like homelessness, bankruptcy, death in the family...etc.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

And what did your catastrophic plan cover?
It didn't cover sex change operations or substance abuse counseling, obviously. It also didn't cover birth control, maternity or abortions.

Forum List

Back