Strange Things I Saw Last Month

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
There've been a few, but I'll start off with this one: we have lots of Amish and Mennonites in the San Luis Valley. I won't call them religious fanatics but they're borderline, well, I guess I'd have to call them religious fanatics.

Anyway, I was in line at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and there were two Mennonite women ahead of me. So when one pulls out her little billfold, I see that she has a very recent tattoo on the back of her hand! It was pretty too. It was a stylized heart and flower with a scroll that said "Jesus".

Strange, yes?

So care to ad any weird observances of your own lately?

Last edited:
There've been a few, but I'll start off with this one: we have lots of Amish and Mennonites in the San Luis Valley. I won't call them religious fanatics but they're borderline, well, I guess I'd have to call them religious fanatics.

Anyway, I was in line at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and there were two Mennonite women ahead of me. So when one pulls out her little billfold, I see that she has a very recent tattoo on the back of her hand! It was pretty too. It was a stylized heart and flower with a scroll that said "Jesus".

Strange, yes?

So care to ad any weird observances of your own lately?

What's strange about seeing a Mennonite woman with a tattoo?

They aren't as strict as they used to be, in case you didn't already know. (Psssst: and it appears that you didn't. Just sayin'. :thup: )

Mennonite - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Yes, thanks folks, but I live with them. Believe me, seeing a Mennonite woman with a tattoo is a strange apparition. And the Amish? Well, they all have Blackberries now, and checking accounts, and Visa cards, and high voltage lines leading into their farms for pivot irrigation systems, and...well...they aren't the Amish your grandpa knew, that's for sure.

Forum List

Back