Subway closed 1100 restaurants last year with 500 more on the way out.

I stopped eating there 2 years ago when I had the worst meatball sandwich ever.

Subway closed more than 1,100 locations last year as the company’s franchisees continued to shed locations amid consistently declining sales and traffic.

Subway has 24,798 restaurants in the U.S., the company said, or 1,110 fewer locations than it had a year ago. It’s the chain’s lowest number of locations since 2011, and the first time since then that it had fewer than 25,000 restaurants.

Subway closed 1,100 restaurants last year

It’s happened before: Sandwich chains Quiznos and Blimpie both suffered from steep declines in unit count over the years—in part at Subway’s hands.

But getting to this point, from being the restaurant chain killing its rivals to one that faces its own deterioration, was the result of numerous decisions going back years, as well as some bad luck and a consumer that continues to change.

Why Subway is facing a crisis
Subways restaurants's foods are unhealthy.

Subway Endorsed by Michelle Obama - Guardian Liberty Voice

Jared Fogle's wife sues Subway Sandwiches claiming the company KNEW he was a paedophile | Daily Mail Online

Plastic bread

I went into a subway once the lettuce was brown

I walked out

a real good sammich starts with great bread
NOT one chain has any

Notta one

I stopped eating there 2 years ago when I had the worst meatball sandwich ever.

Subway closed more than 1,100 locations last year as the company’s franchisees continued to shed locations amid consistently declining sales and traffic.

Subway has 24,798 restaurants in the U.S., the company said, or 1,110 fewer locations than it had a year ago. It’s the chain’s lowest number of locations since 2011, and the first time since then that it had fewer than 25,000 restaurants.

Subway closed 1,100 restaurants last year

It’s happened before: Sandwich chains Quiznos and Blimpie both suffered from steep declines in unit count over the years—in part at Subway’s hands.

But getting to this point, from being the restaurant chain killing its rivals to one that faces its own deterioration, was the result of numerous decisions going back years, as well as some bad luck and a consumer that continues to change.

Why Subway is facing a crisis

Great articles. Thanks for posting.

Is that good news or bad news to the left? Can't get a better job than Subway in a roaring economy? Find a trade school.

Speaking of restaurants going through changes, Pizza Hut has a good online special going on now -- any large 3 topping pizza for $7.99 each. I usually order it carryout from my phone and pay for it when I pick it up.

You can have lunch and save the rest for dinner.

Every Subway has the exact same stink in the air.
I don't know why but it's enough to make you want to throw up.

There is a lot of competition in this field. Gas stations like Sheetz are open 24/7 and make a good sandwich too.

The fact that Subway's leader, Jared, is in the joint as paedophile doesn't help either.

There is a lot of competition in this field. Gas stations like Sheetz are open 24/7 and make a good sandwich too.

The fact that Subway's leader, Jared, is in the joint as paedophile doesn't help either.
Subway isn’t responsible for Jared. I agree there’s a bunch of competitors but all around the country subway is consistently same quality and price. Ya know what you get and it’s fast and fresh.

Subway is opening up loads over here.They have a loyalty card that is ace.I reckon Ive got free coffee till christmas.

I like Subway but they are waaaaay too many locations. Such a contraction was logical (if it’s really happening).

Think part of it is difficulties finding employees in a good economy in an era where people dont have kids and lot of those we do have dont work like teens used too. Went to White Castle and the Subway guy was behind the register, now I know why....Sheer number of restaurants and bars is incredible

I like Subway but they are waaaaay too many locations. Such a contraction was logical (if it’s really happening).

most of your Subway locations however are pretty small, in comparison to competitors like McDonalds or Chick Fil A.

Forum List

Back