Sucession is a Legal Right of each State

You haven't defended anything. All you have done is say Samuel Chase several times and assert the Preamble forbids peaceful secession.

If you don't know the Constitution, how do you know Samuel P. Chase got it right?

I asked you specifically to defend your case per the Constitution not the SCOTUS. You can't do it because you don't know what you are talking about.

Admit you can't defend your position per the Constitution but still believe what you do. That would be honest at least.

You come in the thread and mock people and don't have the first clue what you are talking about, when it comes to the Constitution. All you have are talking points, deflection, and Google search.

It should bother you that you are debating in such a fashion. It should inspire you to research what exactly you believe and why per the Constitution. Instead, you tell me my beliefs are bizarre, while you patiently wait for me to take some detour were you feel more comfortable with the debate scenery. Not going to happen.
Please point out where it says that states can secede. It doesn't. So we rely on Supreme Court precedent. Which in this case decides they can't.
Up down. Up down.

That's not how the Constitution works, as per the 10th Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The states have those powers not explicitly denied to them in the Constitution. Secession is not denied to the states.

You are arguing from silence. I don't see the word "secession" in there. Do you?
And you are a fine one to say "the constitution doesn't work that way." The constitution works based on authoritative opinions issued by courts, the most authoritative being the Supreme COurt. And they rule the states cannot secede.
Up down. Up down.

Here you go:
Texas v. White
(Please note the citation of Luther v Borden, 7 Howard 42, in the vital Article 4 analysis)

There is an argument to make here for a permanent union, and the Court does a passable job of it, but they have to reach too far to make the links between the Luther right of the Federalis to establish and meddle in State governemnt and their holding. Go back to the beginning and remember the timing and purpose for the case, then read it again through the proper prism. There's at least one broken link in that chain.

Please point out where it says that states can secede. It doesn't. So we rely on Supreme Court precedent. Which in this case decides they can't.
Up down. Up down.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The states have those powers not explicitly denied to them in the Constitution. Secession is not denied to the states.

You are arguing from silence. I don't see the word "secession" in there. Do you?
And you are a fine one to say "the constitution doesn't work that way." The constitution works based on authoritative opinions issued by courts, the most authoritative being the Supreme COurt. And they rule the states cannot secede.
Up down. Up down.

No, secession is not in there. That's why the states have the right to do so. Let me quote the 10th Amendment for you again.

Here you go:
Texas v. White
(Please note the citation of Luther v Borden, 7 Howard 42, in the vital Article 4 analysis)

There is an argument to make here for a permanent union, and the Court does a passable job of it, but they have to reach too far to make the links between the Luther right of the Federalis to establish and meddle in State governemnt and their holding. Go back to the beginning and remember the timing and purpose for the case, then read it again through the proper prism. There's at least one broken link in that chain.

You can critique the reasoning all you want. Brown was a terrible decision in its logic, as was Roe.
But it is the law of the land.

Up down. Up down.

No, secession is not in there. That's why the states have the right to do so. Let me quote the 10th Amendment for you again.

I'm still not seeing the word "secession" here. Maybe it's written in the corner somewhere.
Justice Chase didn't see it either, and he certainly knew the 10thA.
Looks like you're failing again here.

Up down. Up down.

I'm still not seeing the word "secession" here. Maybe it's written in the corner somewhere.
Justice Chase didn't see it either, and he certainly knew the 10thA.
Looks like you're failing again here.

Apparently he didn't, and apparently neither do you. The 10th Amendment is clear. If a power is not denied to the states then the states reserve that power. Secession is not mentioned in the Constitution at all, which means that secession is not denied to the states, which means that they have the right to secede.

The constitution strictly says that the federal government may only dictate to a state about what it can do when the constitution says they can about things that are prohibited to them. All other powers are reserved for the state and the last time I checked there is nothing in the constitution that says a state can't depart.

I don't think that states should leave but it is still a right that they have which makes the union a voluntary union of states that can leave and stay as they please. The civil war did not alter the constitution with new amendments forbidding each state from leaving. It only made the idea of leaving unthinkable because we know their would be a war where any state that wants to leave will be crushed by the US armed forces. This situation is not the path to freedom but to tyranny of the federal government because how can you say each state enjoys a status of being free if the federal government interferes with their own domestic affairs and forbids them from forming their own federation with other states or countries for that matter.

Except that at the point they join the Union, states surrender their sovereignty.

The constitution strictly says that the federal government may only dictate to a state about what it can do when the constitution says they can about things that are prohibited to them. All other powers are reserved for the state and the last time I checked there is nothing in the constitution that says a state can't depart.

I don't think that states should leave but it is still a right that they have which makes the union a voluntary union of states that can leave and stay as they please. The civil war did not alter the constitution with new amendments forbidding each state from leaving. It only made the idea of leaving unthinkable because we know their would be a war where any state that wants to leave will be crushed by the US armed forces. This situation is not the path to freedom but to tyranny of the federal government because how can you say each state enjoys a status of being free if the federal government interferes with their own domestic affairs and forbids them from forming their own federation with other states or countries for that matter.

Except that at the point they join the Union, states surrender their sovereignty.

They cede certain definite powers to the federal government, as enumerated by the Constitution. They don't cede their right to leave the Union if they so choose.

Here you go:
Texas v. White

You can critique the reasoning all you want. Brown was a terrible decision in its logic, as was Roe.
But it is the law of the land.

Logically, yes. Brown was flawed. Roe, depends on your view of the precedents it rested on. But that's a whole other thread.

The argument here is whether under the Constitution the States have the right to seceed. The document itself is silent, for obvious reasons. ONE point of view based on the Luther Article 4 analysis says the States may not secede, only cut governmental ties which authorizes the Federal government to restore government and relations by force. That particular view happened to get a majority of votes when speaking of establishing (or reestablishing) original Federal jurisdiction in 1869. But it's a flawed argument, based on an overbroad reading of Luther. Luther itself does not address secession or the nature of the Republic. Neither does Article 4 on which it was based. Law of the land or not, it is NOT in the document. White is a legal fiction.

Where's the constitutional amendment making it illegal?

There doesn't need to be an amendment. If you read the decision Rabbi referenced, since states surrender sovereignty upon entry into the Union, the Union cannot be dissolved unilaterally.

Yet no where does the Constitution say that.

Yes, it does.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

Oddly enough, Jefferson Davis, Then a Senator from Mississippi, did not want the confederate states to secede from the union at the time that they did. He wanted to argue the case for secession before the supreme court - and find a peaceful resolution to the crisis. (Ironically, he was the only person executed at the end of the civil war).

The key to understanding the Texas vs. White decision is to look at the date : 1869. There is no way in hell that the supreme court was going to decide in favor of secession only 4 years after some half million American had died fighting a civil war over the issue of secession. Could you imagine if they had decided in favor of secession? The idea is laughable.

It's unfortunate that history played out the way it did. In fact, even if the the Civil war had not occured, if Jefferson Davis had successfully argued the case of succession, it STILL would have been the obligation of the Federal Government to invade and occupy the South due to the humanitarian mandate to abolish slavery - not to mention slavery's negative impact the economy of the north - as well as the impact of the southern states controling the Mississippi.

Weird how things worked out, but in fact, secession is a moot point. In isolation the argument may have it's merits, but it just ain't gonna happen - that's for sure.

Once some Southerner said to me:
"The South's gonna do it again"

So I replied:
"Oh good, that way we can kick your stupid asses all over again!"

There doesn't need to be an amendment. If you read the decision Rabbi referenced, since states surrender sovereignty upon entry into the Union, the Union cannot be dissolved unilaterally.

Yet no where does the Constitution say that.

Yes, it does.

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding."

That does not say that the states cannot secede from the Union, and the supremacy clause cannot apply to those that are no longer under the Constitution's jurisdiction.

Oddly enough, Jefferson Davis, Then a Senator from Mississippi, did not want the confederate states to secede from the union at the time that they did. He wanted to argue the case for secession before the supreme court - and find a peaceful resolution to the crisis. (Ironically, he was the only person executed at the end of the civil war).

The key to understanding the Texas vs. White decision is to look at the date : 1869. There is no way in hell that the supreme court was going to decide in favor of secession only 4 years after some half million American had died fighting a civil war over the issue of secession. Could you imagine if they had decided in favor of secession? The idea is laughable.

It's unfortunate that history played out the way it did. In fact, even if the the Civil war had not occured, if Jefferson Davis had successfully argued the case of succession, it STILL would have been the obligation of the Federal Government to invade and occupy the South due to the humanitarian mandate to abolish slavery - not to mention slavery's negative impact the economy of the north - as well as the impact of the southern states controling the Mississippi.

Weird how things worked out, but in fact, secession is a moot point. In isolation the argument may have it's merits, but it just ain't gonna happen - that's for sure.

So I replied:

Jefferson Davis was not executed.

The supremacy clause already makes it impossible for to exit the Constitution's jurisdiction.

The supremacy clause already makes it impossible for to exit the Constitution's jurisdiction.

The supremacy clause sets the hierarchy of law within the Republic. It says nothing about whether a State can voluntarily separate from the Republic, its laws and its legal hierarchy.

Who said anything about taking up arms? You do realize that without secession we would all be talking with a brittish accent.

So what? This has been our own country with its own charter since 1776.

Any attempts to upset that arrangement has, historically, ended in bloodshed.

Any future attempts will end in bloodshed.

You guys don't get to dissolve the nation simply because your are in the throes of a massive hissy fit.

So I replied:

Which is exactly why the fiction in Tx v White had to be created. And it is that: a fiction.

Forum List

Back