Superbowl Ratings not so super

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
They were a little over 100 million! That is horrible. With the snow and cold gripping the country and nothing else on, not to mention the excitement around Brady going for his 6th ring, ratings should have been through the roof.

Yet they were horrible. This is the first Super Bowl I didn’t watch one snap. I apparently was the only one. Football will never be the same to me and millions of others like me.

Fuck the NFL!

Super Bowl on NBC is lowest rated in 8 years

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I watched. It was a good game. My guess is people are just tired of seeing New England.

I watched. It was a good game. My guess is people are just tired of seeing New England.

Yeah we took care of that though.
Out wit the old, in wit the new, get used to the green 'cuz it's the new blue.

They were a little over 100 million! That is horrible. With the snow and cold gripping the country and nothing else on, not to mention the excitement around Brady going for his 6th ring, ratings should have been through the roof.

Yet they were horrible. This is the first Super Bowl I didn’t watch one snap. I apparently was the only one. Football will never be the same to me and millions of others like me.

Fuck the NFL!

Why do you care what the ratings were?

You can't enjoy the game unless everyone in America is watching?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Fuck the NFL!

Once AGAIN --- two things about "ratings", number one, they have been in steady decline for ALL sports across the board (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and even though it's not a sport, NASCAR) as well as for TV in general as millions disconnect from the traditional broadcast (as I did years ago) because we have OTHER OPTIONS. F'rinstance I watched the whole game --- which I don't normally do unless I have a team in it ---- with no TV service at all. As did who knows how many others via Hulu, YouTube, etc.

And number two, the function of ratings is to set advertising rates. That's it. Unless you're either buying or selling commercial time on that broadcast, they have no meaning. What they measure is attention, not any kind of "accord" with what they're watching. And given the multitudinous options available to everybody, that attention number really can't be measured. Only a piece of it can, and it's a diminishing share of the whole. That's why TV ratings are in multi-year declines for baseball, football, basketball, hockey, any sport you like. Because technology.

So nice try at cherrypicking, but we've done this already. Many times.

Last edited:

Fuck the NFL!

Why do you care what the ratings were?

You can't enjoy the game unless everyone in America is watching?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

ZACKLY. Unless your job is to buy or sell commercial time, it is of no consequence. It matters to the Tides and Dodges, and it matters to NBC and Hulu. Nobody else has a dog in the race.

Fuck the NFL!

I was watching "The Walking Dead" during the super bowl and not once did I see a Zombie take a knee...

Fuck the NFL!

I was watching "The Walking Dead" during the super bowl and not once did I see a Zombie take a knee...

How wonderful for you. I hope you had a wad of Kleenex.

Fuck the NFL!

Its ratings were the lowest since 2009. I forget what I figured, they were down by 7 or 9% from last year. Clearly, the NFL has hurt itself, from all of the stupid rules, players who won't salute the flag, jackass Roger Goodell, players like Ray Lewis who punched out his wife in an elevator in front of a camera, then gets an award while Brady gets suspended for a soft ball no one can prove he had anything to do with. People are fed up with the crap. We are tired of whining cry babies who make 40 million a year for 4-5 months work then bitch. We want our gladiatorial sport back with bone-crushing hits by guys that can both deliver it and TAKE it. I watched the game, but not in any way that can be tracked to add to the ratings. I still like the sport and teams, but I no longer support the NFL.

Fuck the NFL!

Its ratings were the lowest since 2009. I forget what I figured, they were down by 7 or 9% from last year. Clearly, the NFL has hurt itself, from all of the stupid rules, players who won't salute the flag, jackass Roger Goodell, players like Ray Lewis who punched out his wife in an elevator in front of a camera, then gets an award while Brady gets suspended for a soft ball no one can prove he had anything to do with. People are fed up with the crap. We are tired of whining cry babies who make 40 million a year for 4-5 months work then bitch. We want our gladiatorial sport back with bone-crushing hits by guys that can both deliver it and TAKE it. I watched the game, but not in any way that can be tracked to add to the ratings. I still like the sport and teams, but I no longer support the NFL.

Uh...I hope your not trying to say Brady shouldn't have been suspended??
He knew, several other NFL quarterbacks both current and past QB's all said there is no way he was not aware the balls were under-inflated.
The team should not have been allowed to play post-season - PERIOD. Now THAT is why a lot of people are pissed off.

Fuck the NFL!

Once AGAIN --- two things about "ratings", number one, they have been in steady decline for ALL sports across the board (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and even though it's not a sport, NASCAR) as well as for TV in general as millions disconnect from the traditional broadcast (as I did years ago) because we have OTHER OPTIONS. F'rinstance I watched the whole game --- which I don't normally do unless I have a team in it ---- with no TV service at all. As did who knows how many others via Hulu, YouTube, etc.

And number two, the function of ratings is to set advertising rates. That's it. Unless you're either buying or selling commercial time on that broadcast, they have no meaning. What they measure is attention, not any kind of "accord" with what they're watching. And given the multitudinous options available to everybody, that attention number really can't be measured. Only a piece of it can, and it's a diminishing share of the whole. That's why TV ratings are in multi-year declines for baseball, football, basketball, hockey, any sport you like. Because technology.

So nice try at cherrypicking, but we've done this already. Many times.

And here's a part of the difference:

>> Per NBC, Eagles-Patriots drew 103.4 million viewers, down about 7 percent from last year and the lowest Super-Bowl figure since 2009. Still, it was the ninth most watched Super Bowl and 10th most watched program in television history.

Though NBC and the NFL can’t be thrilled about the decline in viewership, they got a small silver lining in the form of streaming data. Per NBC, live streams on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app and other platforms averaged 2.02 million viewers, making Eagles-Patriots the most streamed Super Bowl ever. Digital viewers bring the total average viewership for the game up to about 106 million. << --- SB Ratings Decline from Previous Years but at a Slower Rate

Also this, same link:

>> The top market for Eagles-Patriots was Buffalo (56.4), followed by Philadelphia (56.2), Boston (55.9), Minneapolis-St. Paul (54.9) and Pittsburgh (54.9). As Fox Sports’ Michael Mulvihill points out, the market with the highest rating for the Super Bowl is often one whose team is not involved in the game because hometown fans are more likely to watch at bars. <<​

---- or parties in private homes, hotels, etc. And those viewers also cannot be measured. That's because humans are a social animal, and you can't measure that.

Fuck the NFL!

That was Ray Rice, not Ray Lewis. Ray Rice has been black-balled from the NFL.

Fuck the NFL!

Bullshit.

As already stated above and in countless other threads where the same cherrypicking was attempted and fumbled, ratings for ALL TV sports have been in decline for years, while ratings for streaming have steadily increased. And you were already personally corrected on this yet here you come expecting different results for the same cherrypick.

Sorry, the world doesn't just automatically work the way your personal butthurt does. It is however illuminating to see how many wags who claim they want politics-free football ------ then trot into a message board trying with desperate Hail Marys to inject politics into football.

That's kinda 'special'.

Last edited:

Oh please.

Just tell me this.

Who da champeens? :5_1_12024:

To be fair, since I on;y watch the Stupor Bowl if I'm invested in one of its teams, the last one I watched was the Saints over the Colts. Won that one too. I still have a memento on my kitchen wall from it.

Boudreaux gave it to me. :D

Fuck the NFL!

Hey, a Ray is a Ray. Ray Rice, Ray Walston, Ray Charles -- doesn't matter.
Two-beak doesn't traffic in stuff like "accuracy". You should see him track hurricanes.

Uh...I hope your not trying to say Brady shouldn't have been suspended??

Exactly. There was NO PROOF that Brady knew or had anything to do with the balls. IT IS THE NFL's responsibility to check those balls and they were the last ones with them. Further, the Colts told them to watch the balls and STILL the NFL missed it. NFL is a bunch of fucking losers and they only hurt themselves.

Oh please.

Just tell me this.

Who da champeens? :5_1_12024:

To be fair, since I on;y watch the Stupor Bowl if I'm invested in one of its teams, the last one I watched was the Saints over the Colts. Won that one too. I still have a memento on my kitchen wall from it.

Boudreaux gave it to me. :D

Philly for sure, and I rooted for them. My point is that there have been very few teams that have pulled off multiple Superbowl wins. But hey, I'm happy for you guys. Kinda disappointing though with all the shenanigans that followed... kinda classless.

ratings for ALL TV sports have been in decline for years, while ratings for streaming have steadily increased.

Asshole, whether you watch the game on TV or streaming through the internet, it ALL counts towards the ratings! Unless you have a way and device to see it that gets around that. The more you talk, the bigger an ignorant ass you make of yourself.

Fuck the NFL!

You're right --- Ray Lewis was the one involved in murder. Definitely a high quality, Hall of Fame, kind of guy.

Forum List

Back