Zone1 Supreme Court protects religious freedom in the workplace

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State

The Supreme Court has solidified protections for workers who asks for religious accommodations. The case decided Thursday involves a Christian mail carrier who didn’t want to work Sundays because he said that day is for church and family.

I didn't know people were being forced to work on Sundays. This is good that they no longer are forced. Churches appreciate it too.

I didn't know people were being forced to work on Sundays. This is good that they no longer are forced. Churches appreciate it too.

Unless they accept jobs in industries that must, by definition, function on Sunday -- hospitals and fire/police, for example -- then I see no reason to make someone work on Sunday. I worked in hospitals and somebody has to work on Sunday and holidays.

Besides, aren't they still offering big shift differentials for folks who work weekends/holidays? That's why I always like working on these days.

Unless they accept jobs in industries that must, by definition, function on Sunday -- hospitals and fire/police, for example -- then I see no reason to make someone work on Sunday. I worked in hospitals and somebody has to work on Sunday and holidays.

Besides, aren't they still offering big shift differentials for folks who work weekends/holidays? That's why I always like working on these days.

That makes sense. I've never been forced to work Sunday. But for those who were I am glad they can attend church services.

Government should respect individuals religious be!iefs and be as accomodating as possible as long as it does not interfere with their operations. Employers should ask upfront "is working Sunday or Saturday a problem for you"? Employees should be upfront about accomodations they need. If neither side meet, they can go their own way.

Can Jews demand Saturday off and Muslims demand Fridays off?
Remember without such religious groups, Saturday and Sunday work would be far more rampant, especially in the office. In China they have a "996" system at many companies, which is 9 am -9pm 6 days a week. Thank God for religion, literally. If I want those hours it should be by choice, or if I am driving my own business.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back