Supreme Court Strikes Down Blatently Unconstitional Gun Regulation

As I said in my first comment here, I support “the registration and issuance of highly vetted” concealed carry licenses. You may call that “reasonable gun control” if you like. The point is to weed out criminals, lunatics and emotionally prone-to-violence types, to make sure those who carry weapons know the relevant laws about when and where and what they can carry and use, etc. I support “Red Flag” laws like those already adopted successfully in FL.

By the way there is not much logic to your comment above. Even people who have no common sense are not necessarily people prone to lying. In fact there are situations where common sense requires one to lie. This isn’t one of them. Which of us has more “common sense” is … at the least very debatable.

This is a time in our nation’s history when common sense is sadly lacking. Not just in our politicians, but among our people too. We need much less self-righteous lunacy and hysteria on both sides, much less demagogy, much less mad party partisanship.

The thing is the places that don't want people to carry will place such onerous restrictions on the carry that the de facto bans will still exist.

In NYC it still takes 3-6 months and around $500 in fees just to keep a revolver in your own house or apartment. Can you imagine what the CCW requirements will be?

As I said in my first comment here, I support “the registration and issuance of highly vetted” concealed carry licenses. You may call that “reasonable gun control” if you like. The point is to weed out criminals, lunatics and emotionally prone-to-violence types, to make sure those who carry weapons know the relevant laws about when and where and what they can carry and use, etc. I support “Red Flag” laws like those already adopted successfully in FL.

By the way there is not much logic to your comment above. Even people who have no common sense are not necessarily people prone to lying. In fact there are situations where common sense requires one to lie. This isn’t one of them. Which of us has more “common sense” is … at the least very debatable.

This is a time in our nation’s history when common sense is sadly lacking. Not just in our politicians, but among our people too. We need much less self-righteous lunacy and hysteria on both sides, much less demagogy, much less mad party partisanship.

Your comment borders on abject stupidity.
Basically you just said (like so many twisted leftists do), that all violent criminals follow your laws to a "T" and register their guns.

How can you NOT see how utterly insane you sound?

CRIMINALS and the INSANELY VIOLENT don't give a fuck what laws you pass. Laws only affect those who are already law abiding.
Your solutions and those of the Left generally offer NO solution at all.

I am aware that local counties and cities are given wide discretion in New York to regulate hand guns in different ways, and that NYC in particular has historically chosen to set up obstacles tending to keep ordinary citizens from carrying them. This tradition in NYC has existed in many cities a very long time.

I lived in NYC for decades, and most of that time had absolutely no problem keeping a long rifle in my home for self-protection. Little, ultimately no registration required. Also for many years I had a semi-automatic pistol (no carry license) — ultimately I decided it was too expensive to renew it every few years.

My job made me travel into many of NYC’s worst neighborhoods in the period when crime was highest in the 1970s. I was in fact an activist working to have gun laws changed. I also think the Supreme Court criticism of “may issue” wording is perfectly reasonable.

I was very active in the locally famous campaign to defend Robert Grimes (back in the 1980s). He was a black transit worker attacked by a professional criminal whom he shot & killed, using an unregistered pistol to defend himself at work. We ultimately won that case “in the greater interest of justice” — and this decent man and pillar of his community was at least able to resign with his full pension.

I am aware of many sides of this “regulation” issue, which historically has been approached very differently in rural and urban settings. Of course I support the basic legal right of self defense. You probably know that many store owners have had legal carry licenses for years in NYC. My own brother did. Of course whenever crime becomes high enough, even liberal “anti-gun” people and pacifists will demand more cops and more guns for self protection.

But none of this makes me think that guns should be free to purchase without regulation, or that laws that aim to keep handguns out of the hands of criminals or just immature emotionally incompetent folks (we had many in NYC in my youth and I assume they still exist!) are incompatible with the Constitution. I already mentioned Florida’s “Red Flag” laws which even allow authorities to confiscate weapons in some cases where there are clear signs of danger or a threat to harm, but no formal crime has yet been committed. The law has worked well and even Republican law enforcement figures and politicians have come around to seeing it as a success.

Gun owners can “go crazy” like anybody else. Many who have been flagged have ended up very appreciative of the “time-outs” they were given by this law, when their guns were taken away legally and temporarily while they received help.

To martybegan: You may be right. I already pointed out that the replacement for the NY law the Supreme Court just disallowed will probably not be so radical as some hysterical liberals and some thrilled conservative “Constitutional carry” enthusiasts expect. We will have to wait and see what happens and proceed from there.

Last edited:
I am aware that local counties and cities are given wide discretion in New York to regulate hand guns in different ways, and that NYC in particular has historically chosen to set up obstacles tending to keep ordinary citizens from carrying them. This tradition in NYC has existed in many cities a very long time.

I lived in NYC for decades, and most of that time had absolutely no problem keeping a long rifle in my home for self-protection. Little, ultimately no registration required. Also for many years I had a semi-automatic pistol (no carry license) — ultimately I decided it was too expensive to renew it every few years.

My job made me travel into many of NYC’s worst neighborhoods in the period when crime was highest in the 1970s. I was in fact an activist working to have gun laws changed. I also think the Supreme Court criticism of “may issue” wording is perfectly reasonable.

I was very active in the locally famous campaign to defend Robert Grimes (back in the late 1980s). He was a black transit worker attacked by a professional criminal whom he shot, using an unregistered pistol to defend himself at work. We ultimately won that case “in the greater interest of justice” — and this decent man and pillar of his community was at least able to resign with his full pension.

I am aware of many sides of this “regulation” issue, which historically has been approached very differently in rural and urban settings. Of course I support the basic legal right of self defense. You probably know that many store owners have had legal carry licenses for years in NYC. My own brother did. Of course whenever crime becomes high enough, even liberal “anti-gun” people and pacifists will demand more cops and more guns for self protection.

But none of this makes me think that guns should be free to purchase without regulation, or that laws that aim to keep handguns out of the hands of criminals or just immature emotionally incompetent folks (we had many in NYC in my youth and I assume they still exist!) are incompatible with the Constitution. I already mentioned Florida’s “Red Flag” laws which even allow authorities to confiscate weapons in some cases where there were clear signs of danger or a threat to harm, but no formal crime had been committed. The law has worked well and even Republican law enforcement figures and politicians have come around to seeing it as a success.

Gun owners can “go crazy” like anybody else. Many who have been flagged have ended up very appreciative of the “time-outs” they were given by this law, when their guns were taken away legally and temporarily while they received help.

I already pointed out that the replacement for the NY law the Supreme Court disallowed will probably not be so radical as some hysterical liberals, or some thrilled conservative free “Constitutional carry” enthusiasts, expect. We will have to wait and see what happens and how we proceed from here.

Who wants a long rifle for defense in an urban setting? I want to stop the guy breaking into my apartment, not blow away the guy two apartments over.

All I would want is probably a .38 snubbie, with hollow point loads so they don't go through any walls and hurt my neighbors if I had to shoot someone invading my apartment.

This "tradition" was created to prevent minorities and immigrants from getting guns.
And, of course, it doesn't matter how long a law tramples on people's rights.

Who wants a long rifle for defense in an urban setting? I want to stop the guy breaking into my apartment, not blow away the guy two apartments over.

All I would want is probably a .38 snubbie, with hollow point loads so they don't go through any walls and hurt my neighbors if I had to shoot someone invading my apartment.

Be advised that that .38 "snubbie" can miss the side of a barn at 3 ft.
All those stray .38 cal bullets could find one of the neighbors you are concerned about.

All those stray .38 cal bullets could find one of the neighbors you are concerned about.

My apartment is only 10-15 feet wide by about 30-40 feet long.

as long as I don't shoot through a window and use the proper round for urban/indoor defense the risk to my neighbors should be mitigated I would believe.

The Left is paying dearly for it's wiling ignorance on human nature.
They create regulations and laws by the truckload in their areas, then get slaughtered by those who don't care about their laws.

Then they go soft on them since "they are under privileged and just need a job"
LOTS of Lefties getting slaughtered in Democrat areas.

I guess it's par for their course. Darwinism.

My apartment is only 10-15 feet wide by about 30-40 feet long.

as long as I don't shoot through a window and use the proper round for urban/indoor defense the risk to my neighbors should be mitigated I would believe.

It's a "snubbie" .38.
Trust me, hitting a moving target at that range with a .38 snub nose will require amazing skills
I had one. I know how bad they can be.

But to each his own.
I would never use one to protect my family.
I call those "Gut Guns" cause you literally need to shove it point blank into someones gut before you pull the trigger to get a guaranteed hit.

It's a "snubbie" .38.
Trust me, hitting a moving target at that range with a .38 snub nose will require amazing skills
I had one. I know how bad they can be.

So what would you recommend for small apartment home defense?

I want a round that goes in the perp and stops, and can be stopped by walls and such.

women are strong enough, they don't need "self-defense", wise guy
300000 women forcibly raped in the US in 2020, down from 500000 in 2019 because of Fauci Flu lockdowns. And, of course, we all know that rape is seriously under reported in the US so the number is likely far higher.

And you, a man, get to tell women they aren't allowed to defend themselves?

Tell the truth, are you a rapist? Is that why you want women to be easy targets?

I can put all five shots from my 357 Snubbie into a head sized target at 20 feet.

Lol, I followed a link about the gun crap being overturned to a fox "news" website. In one article some guy commenting on it claimed he just bought a 40 caliber Glock and three 7 round magazines for it. Lol

And you are the problem.

20220624_144945.jpg

Forum List

Back