Supremes Rule In Favor Of Baker

And you know this for a fact ----HOW exactly? Your say so is not enough. What proof do you offer?

again, it's not my job to prove that someone didn't exist, it's your job to prove that they did and they were the result of magical births... If your proof is the bible, the problem there is that same book has giants and talking snakes.

Next you may say Jesus and Pontius Pilate never existed.

Pontius Pilate existed... Jesus probably didn't. in fact, quite the contrary, there's a lot of evidence he was fabricated as a character in the 2nd century...

How do I know you exist!

Because I'm answering you back... Oh, never mind...

no-gays-allowed-4.jpg

Looking... looking.... still not seeing "straight same sex as well"... I must be stupid...

That’s not on the bakery.
True, but exactly equivalent to what the baker actually said in reference to selling any gay couple a wedding cake.

Dishonest Dishonest Dishonest.

The baker had made cakes for gays for years. He had never made a same sex wedding cake for straight or gay.
He said what he said. Listen to it yourself if you don't believe me.

Btw, someone early on claimed this was not a point of sale (POS) transaction. I've seen nothing to indicate it was anything but. The couple walked walked into the shop and the baker refused to bake them a wedding cake. No writing ordered on the cake. Nothing indicating delivery or any need for personal involvement in their particular ceremony whatsoever. Just a baker being asked to bake a cake for an every day secular ceremony.
I don't know where you heard that, but the gay couple clearly requested he create a wedding cake for them.
Yep?
The very first sentence of the Opinion. Link on page 1 of this thread.
Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd., is a Colorado bakery owned and operated by Jack Phillips, an expert baker and devout Christian. In 2012 he told a same-sex couple that he would not create a cake for their wedding celebration because of his religious opposition to same-sex marriages
Are you suggesting that indicates he was asked to do something beyond the POS or what?
I was answering a simple question by pulling up the SC decision.
What question were you answering?

Fact is the law doesn't require him to remain silent. He doesn't have to hide his beliefs in his own store. What he has to do is provide equivalent service to all comers if he wants to continue selling to "the public" in Colorado.

This is simply not true. First of all, as we've already established, he can discriminate all he wants as long as he keeps his reasoning to himself. Second, the law only prohibits a few kinds of discrimination - those on the "protected classes" list. Everything else is fair game. Businesses can discriminate against people because of their looks, their accent, their clothes. They can discriminate against people because they're poor, fat, stupid, or pretty much any other bias that isn't on the list.

These laws don't ensure that all customers are treated equally. And they don't ensure that any particular groups won't get discriminate against. They simply prevent the business from claiming any of the prohibited reasons when they discriminate. And that's not a technicality. That's the point. The laws are trying to keep bigotry from spreading.
Say I agree completely, and I do appreciate the thoughtful response, are you suggesting that a government taking steps to "keep bigotry from spreading" is automatically a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In fact, government has a responsibility to make sure it doesn't infect our laws (eg Jim Crow). But it's no excuse for violating fundamental individual rights in the process.

He refused to custom design an original wedding cake that celebrated a same sex marriage in a state (CO) that didn't even have a legal version of/ actually forbade same sex marriages at the time.
And where ya pullin' this "custom design" BS from now? And you think the State's civil rights commission wasn't "legal" and "forbade same sex marriages at the time"? Yet, that's who the Supremes returned the case to anyway? Incredible!
I believe the "custom design" was the basis of the baker's legal argument. An artistic expression and therefore protected by the First Amendment?
Which again is nonsense in this case since he clearly rejected them before any "custom design" could even be discussed - as argued by their attorney by the way and ignored in favor of the baker's fantasy version of events. They could have just wanted a plain wedding cake that they could then "custom design" themselves later. We'll never know... didn't allow them to even ask.

I don't know where you heard that, but the gay couple clearly requested he create a wedding cake for them.
Yep?
The very first sentence of the Opinion. Link on page 1 of this thread.
Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd., is a Colorado bakery owned and operated by Jack Phillips, an expert baker and devout Christian. In 2012 he told a same-sex couple that he would not create a cake for their wedding celebration because of his religious opposition to same-sex marriages
Are you suggesting that indicates he was asked to do something beyond the POS or what?
I was answering a simple question by pulling up the SC decision.
What question were you answering?
You having some kind of problem reading the thread? What are you actually getting at?

He refused to custom design an original wedding cake that celebrated a same sex marriage in a state (CO) that didn't even have a legal version of/ actually forbade same sex marriages at the time.
And where ya pullin' this "custom design" BS from now? And you think the State's civil rights commission wasn't "legal" and "forbade same sex marriages at the time"? Yet, that's who the Supremes returned the case to anyway? Incredible!
I believe the "custom design" was the basis of the baker's legal argument. An artistic expression and therefore protected by the First Amendment?
Which again is nonsense in this case since he clearly rejected them before any "custom design" could even be discussed - as argued by their attorney by the way and ignored in favor of the baker's fantasy version of events. They could have just wanted a plain wedding cake that they could then "custom design" themselves later. We'll never know... didn't allow them to even ask.
You ever seen a wedding cake? Bakers don't make them up ahead of time and put them in the display case. They are all created one at a time using the specifications of the customer. If they wanted a plain old sheet cake, they would have gone to the supermarket. Or baked it themselves and used Betty Crocker Decorator Icing in a tube.

It seems you are trying to make the baker out to be more of a monster than he is, same as some people are making the gay couple out to be monsters. Neither argument is going to solve this problem.

You ever seen a wedding cake? Bakers don't make them up ahead of time and put them in the display case. They are all created one at a time using the specifications of the customer. If they wanted a plain old sheet cake, they would have gone to the supermarket. Or baked it themselves and used Betty Crocker Decorator Icing in a tube.

It seems you are trying to make the baker out to be more of a monster than he is, same as some people are making the gay couple out to be monsters. Neither argument is going to solve this problem.
Since it seems you've inexplicably simply grown hostile, I won't bother any more. Sorry I asked you a question!

Since it seems you've inexplicably simply grown hostile, I won't bother any more. Sorry I asked you a question!
I certainly didn't mean it as hostile. Sorry you took it that way.

no-gays-allowed-4.jpg

Looking... looking.... still not seeing "straight same sex as well"... I must be stupid...

True, but exactly equivalent to what the baker actually said in reference to selling any gay couple a wedding cake.

The baker had made cakes for gays for years. He had never made a same sex wedding cake for straight or gay.

What’s important is what he said about same sex heterosexual couples.

Got that quote dimwit?

I see no hostility at all.

Well the baker didn't go to their business trying to destroy them financially with fines and a lawsuit did he? So you're either going to have to face the reality that these activists...I mean "couples" are targeting Christians to "conform or be cast out of the marketplace". The Court said they shouldn't do that. But they are. And everybody but a brain dead toad knows it.

Forgiven in any case. But baking a generic wedding cake is neither rocket science nor unheard of in any sense. And honestly never could find what "simple question" you were supposedly addressing from the beginning. Not for lack of trying...

no-gays-allowed-4.jpg

Got that quote dimwit?
Yes, no hostility at all and you're "The Decider" - got all that months ago.

Well the baker didn't got to their business trying to destroy them financially with fines and a lawsuit did he? So you're either going to have to face the reality that these activists...I mean "couples" are targeting Christians to "conform or be cast out of the marketplace". The Court said they shouldn't do that. But they are. And everybody but a brain dead toad knows it.
I don't see that at all. Conforming is something society compels on us all, to a certain extent. If someone's religious beliefs are so opposed to society's, they have the option of forming and living in their own insular communities like the Amish. I can see both sides of this argument; you are going to great lengths to demonize the gay community. Yes, there are activists out there on both sides, like the group that has defended the baker pro bono. I don't see that the approach is helping in the least.

Got that quote dimwit?
Yes, no hostility at all and you're "The Decider" - got all that months ago.

Guess you should be the decider? Hell no, you can’t even make an argument about a baker in Colorado without bringing in a hardware store in Tennessee.

Forgiven in any case. But baking a generic wedding cake is neither rocket science nor unheard of in any sense. And honestly never could find what "simple question" you were supposedly addressing from the beginning. Not for lack of trying...
You said,
Btw, someone early on claimed this was not a point of sale (POS) transaction. I've seen nothing to indicate it was anything but. The couple walked walked into the shop and the baker refused to bake them a wedding cake. No writing ordered on the cake. Nothing indicating delivery or any need for personal involvement in their particular ceremony whatsoever. Just a baker being asked to bake a cake for an every day secular ceremony.
I said,
You said,
Yep?

I guess you think I missed your point. I thought you were saying, from that first post, that you thought the guys came in and were refused service outright for being gay. You were actually inserting a strawman (not meant hostilely) that the couple requested a "cake for an every day secular ceremony." That is not the case when it comes to this baker. He did not see it as an every day secular ceremony, but a sin against God that he would not take any part in.

This is a messy question. I come down on the side of PA laws, because I believe in treating people equally and fairly, and for sure in the public sphere. I also have no religious beliefs and no opposition to homosexuality, so all that is easy for me to say. But however passionately I believe in anti-discrimination laws, I can put myself in the shoes of Christians who really, truly believe homosexuality/gay marriage is a bad, bad thing that they should stay well clear of, because there are things I believe are "wrong," too, and would not want to be forced to get involved in them.

I just hope everyone can give some respect to the other side here. There are two sides and they both feel they are perfectly within their rights. If they had a previous relationship with the baker, it is all the more unfortunate that this had to happen, since the baker hadn't discriminated against them in any way until he was faced with the wedding.

Forum List

Back