Sure I burned their bodies but ...Stand Your Ground defense!

The state could still prove he murdered them.........so yes, he could still go to prison for murder....

And more on why this is not Stand Your ground...

4. If Retreat Is Not Possible = Not a SYG Case
Second, the legal duty to retreat applies only where a safe avenue of retreat is available to the defender. The defender is never required to increase his jeopardy in attempting to retreat, and as well if there simply exists no means of retreat then it is simply not possible to impose the duty as a practical matter.

These two limitations on the legal duty to retreat have important consequences for any analysis of SYG.

Effectively, it means that where a defender is in one’s home or where the defender has no safe avenue of retreat, then SYG is irrelevant.

Whether the defender were in a stand-your-ground jurisdiction or a duty-to-retreat jurisdiction, under either of those circumstances there would be no legal duty to retreat and the defender may “stand his ground.”
I never said anything about standing your ground. You can't prove he wasn't in fear for his life.

It was the original story.......
Sorry I was speaking to somebody else about a different issue. Point being, he cannot be convicted of murder because nobody can prove he wasn't in fear for his life.

I think it is too early to know how they will find him in this.......there may be more evidence we don't know about yet......
Possibly, but in a case where the only witness is the killer, saying he feared for his life is the best defense.

Yep....you are probably right...unless they have a cell phone video from a neighbor showing him murdering the people.....the strangest things can show up....there was one case on a show where the neighbor actually had a security camera on that caught part of the neighbors home.....I don't remember how that one turned out.

SC man who shot and ’slow-cooked’ two men out on bail thanks to ‘stand your ground’ law

Dead men have no defense....

FTA: James Edward Loftis, 39, is facing murder charges in the deaths of taxi driver Guma Oz Dubar, 46, and his friend James Cody Newland, 32, on March 5 after they demanded he pay his fare following a ride home from a strip club.

While Loftis has given police varying accounts of what happened that evening — once saying he invited the men in, while another time saying they barged into his home — several facts are not in dispute.

Loftis admitted that he shot both men before dragging their bodies outside his house, where he placed them in a shallow grave and set them on fire along with his bloody clothes before burying them.

“They were essentially just slow-cooked inside the grave site,” Deputy Solicitor Bryan Alfaro said during the bail hearing.

Conceding that what Loftis did was “heinous,” his attorney defended his client saying he was within his rights to defend himself in his own home under the state’s “stand your ground” laws.

“He’s a human being,” Stephen Harris said. “He freaked out and thought he was going to prison, so he tried to hide the bodies. Nobody knows how you’re going to react when you kill two people.”

Circuit Judge Markley Dennis agreed to allow Loftis to post $250,000 bail, saying his choice of the defense makes him less of a flight risk.

latest

Where exactly does stand your ground come into this? Please....explain in detail. You do realize that if he shot these guys in his home...Stand Your Ground would not be the defense......but please....don't let facts, the truth or reality ruin your lying thread........

You're saying his lawyer is lying or this story isnt true?

Here is an expert in Self Defense law.......he was right on every aspect of the Zimmerman case as it was happening....

Stand-Your-Ground Racial Bias Study used “media definition,” not “legal definition”

Yeah but I'm talking about THIS story. You said it was a lie. How?

SC man who shot and ’slow-cooked’ two men out on bail thanks to ‘stand your ground’ law

FTA: James Edward Loftis, 39, is facing murder charges in the deaths of taxi driver Guma Oz Dubar, 46, and his friend James Cody Newland, 32, on March 5 after they demanded he pay his fare following a ride home from a strip club.

While Loftis has given police varying accounts of what happened that evening — once saying he invited the men in, while another time saying they barged into his home — several facts are not in dispute.

Loftis admitted that he shot both men before dragging their bodies outside his house, where he placed them in a shallow grave and set them on fire along with his bloody clothes before burying them.

“They were essentially just slow-cooked inside the grave site,” Deputy Solicitor Bryan Alfaro said during the bail hearing.

Conceding that what Loftis did was “heinous,” his attorney defended his client saying he was within his rights to defend himself in his own home under the state’s “stand your ground” laws.

“He’s a human being,” Stephen Harris said. “He freaked out and thought he was going to prison, so he tried to hide the bodies. Nobody knows how you’re going to react when you kill two people.”

Circuit Judge Markley Dennis agreed to allow Loftis to post $250,000 bail, saying his choice of the defense makes him less of a flight risk.

latest

Where exactly does stand your ground come into this? Please....explain in detail. You do realize that if he shot these guys in his home...Stand Your Ground would not be the defense......but please....don't let facts, the truth or reality ruin your lying thread........

Here is an expert in Self Defense law.......he was right on every aspect of the Zimmerman case as it was happening....

Stand-Your-Ground Racial Bias Study used “media definition,” not “legal definition”

It is not a stand your ground defense.

latest

It is not a stand your ground defense.

Well you should tell his lawyer because he's using it. Maybe you think reality is a lie?

I didnt say he wouldnt I said he's using that as a defense and A2 keeps saying someone is lying.

The lawyer said it to the press. It's doubtful he will attempt it as a legal defense, since it would be thrown out. This moron is going down for at least voluntary manslaughter, if not second degree murder.

I'm not sure what angle you anti-liberty folk are playing, but it won't work.

I didnt say he wouldnt I said he's using that as a defense and A2 keeps saying someone is lying.

The lawyer said it to the press. It's doubtful he will attempt it as a legal defense, since it would be thrown out. This moron is going down for at least voluntary manslaughter, if not second degree murder.

They focus on everything but the evil they promote

"It's doubtful he will attempt it as a legal defense"

Maybe but what is doubtful isnt a lie

Forum List

Back