Talk about talking about talking!

At the beginning of each academic year there are always a lot (a lot!) of meetings and trainings and endless speeches and slide shows.

Apparently, this summer the district spent a lot of time agonizing over terminology in our department. You wouldn't believe all of the jargon they spent hours dumping on us. Beyond ridiculously long discussions on why describing students as "beginner" level English language learners is hurtful, the very notion of describing someone as a non-native English speaker was described as inappropriate. So we were told - I shit you not - to talk of students (or anyone, I suppose) as "languageing" when speaking English to or with non-native English speakers. At the end of the online 'official' department meeting, everyone in our ESL department in person mocked and rejected this nonsense.

It was an odd feeling to realize today that I hadn't spoken much Spanish for over a month.

At the beginning of each academic year there are always a lot (a lot!) of meetings and trainings and endless speeches and slide shows.

Apparently, this summer the district spent a lot of time agonizing over terminology in our department. You wouldn't believe all of the jargon they spent hours dumping on us. Beyond ridiculously long discussions on why describing students as "beginner" level English language learners is hurtful, the very notion of describing someone as a non-native English speaker was described as inappropriate. So we were told - I shit you not - to talk of students (or anyone, I suppose) as "languageing" when speaking English to or with non-native English speakers. At the end of the online 'official' department meeting, everyone in our ESL department in person mocked and rejected this nonsense.
GOOD! You're beginning to see from the inside what we see from the outside. We'll be on the same page yet. ;)

Forum List

Back