Tar Sand Oil Pipeline Ruptures in Arkansas.

Gotta love it.

Arkansas residents evacuate as Exxon-Mobil tar sands pipeline ruptures | The Raw Story

An Exxon-Mobil oil pipeline ruptured Friday afternoon in the town of Mayflower, Arkansas, forcing the evacuation of 20 homes and shutting down sections of interstate highway. According to Little Rock’s KATV, a hazardous materials team from the Office of Emergency Management has contained the spill and is currently attempting a cleanup.

The burst pipe is part of the Pegasus pipeline network, which connects tar sands along the Gulf coast to refineries in Houston. Thousands of gallons of crude oil erupted from the breach around 3:00 p.m. on Friday, spilling through a housing subdivision and into the town’s storm drainage system, fouling drainage ditches and shutting down Highway 365 and Interstate 40.

Residents were evacuated to avoid health hazards from crude oil fumes and to keep stray sparks from igniting the standing oil. Emergency workers contained the spill by hastily constructing earthen dams.

So?

Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

It's a minor thing and quite rare actually.
0910-pipeline-spills.png

It's a minor thing and quite rare actually.

Not if it happens in your back yard.

And it's people like you( NIMBY'S) that are the reason nothing gets done.
I bet you drive a car or use mass transit, don't you?
Do you use synthetic fabrics? Plastics? Latex or acrylic paint? Fertilizers for your lawn?
All of which have some kind of petroleum or petro-chemical origin.
You will continue to use these products as long as the shit doesn't go through your backyard, now won't you?
Hypocrites. All of you anti fossil fuel people.
You willingly use the products, but curse where those products come from.
Liberals: Wanting to have everything both ways is your motto.
You might not be so cavalier if you had to bathe in this!

TarSands.jpg

A picture just surfaced on Facebook with a description, “This is the water in Tuckerman, Arkansas today. "

I have a question...Why in Sam Hill was a subdivision approved for this area in the first place?
Were the potential buyers alerted to the presence of an oil transmission pipeline beneath the neighborhood?
Or did the buyers see the homes as too good of a deal to pass up?
I am not necessarily pro big energy companies..I am for US Energy independence and inexpensive fuel.
I believe with some common friggin sense we here in the States can strike a balance between our energy requirements and our environment.

I lived near an ammonia pipeline for 15 years. That was a little disconcerting.

The subterranean infrastructure in this country is mind-boggling. Accidents are extremely rare, and certainly don't constitute vilifying an entire industry.

And I know I keep harping on this, but both the media and public are eerily silent regarding the wholesale degradation of our environment by the agriculture industry. It doesn't make sense.

Can you provide a link that the agriculture industry is degrading our environment?

Not being snarky, just never heard of it, and would like some links to investigate further.
I can say from experience that the National Park Service believes agriculture is a hazard to sensitive areas.
Long ago, I used to camp on the NY Side of the Delaware River. This part of the Delaware is within the boundaries of a National Recreation Area. And as such is under the authority of the National Park Service. The environmental regulations extend not only along the river to the watershed boundary, but to all tributaries as well. The regulations affect all of the farms within the watershed and along the tributaries that drain into the Dealware. The locals posted hand made signs demanding the NPS to "Get Out"..People vandalized the Ranger Station located nearby.
In any event, through getting to know a few of the Park Rangers, one in particular who would come by and hang out with us on his off day, told us the runoff from the cattle farms was fouling the Delaware and the was the reason for the regulations.

Not if it happens in your back yard.

And it's people like you( NIMBY'S) that are the reason nothing gets done.
I bet you drive a car or use mass transit, don't you?
Do you use synthetic fabrics? Plastics? Latex or acrylic paint? Fertilizers for your lawn?
All of which have some kind of petroleum or petro-chemical origin.
You will continue to use these products as long as the shit doesn't go through your backyard, now won't you?
Hypocrites. All of you anti fossil fuel people.
You willingly use the products, but curse where those products come from.
Liberals: Wanting to have everything both ways is your motto.
You might not be so cavalier if you had to bathe in this!

TarSands.jpg

A picture just surfaced on Facebook with a description, “This is the water in Tuckerman, Arkansas today. "
Right....Like that can be verified.

The subterranean infrastructure in this country is mind-boggling. Accidents are extremely rare, and certainly don't constitute vilifying an entire industry.

And I know I keep harping on this, but both the media and public are eerily silent regarding the wholesale degradation of our environment by the agriculture industry. It doesn't make sense.

Can you provide a link that the agriculture industry is degrading our environment?

Not being snarky, just never heard of it, and would like some links to investigate further.
I can say from experience that the National Park Service believes agriculture is a hazard to sensitive areas.
Long ago, I used to camp on the NY Side of the Delaware River. This part of the Delaware is within the boundaries of a National Recreation Area. And as such is under the authority of the National Park Service. The environmental regulations extend not only along the river to the watershed boundary, but to all tributaries as well. The regulations affect all of the farms within the watershed and along the tributaries that drain into the Dealware. The locals posted hand made signs demanding the NPS to "Get Out"..People vandalized the Ranger Station located nearby.
In any event, through getting to know a few of the Park Rangers, one in particular who would come by and hang out with us on his off day, told us the runoff from the cattle farms was fouling the Delaware and the was the reason for the regulations.

Interesting......................you can't (or won't) provide a link, yet you think that your own experience (made up or not) is sufficient?

Link please........................

I've seen UFO's and demons, does that make them real to you?

You like the Delaware National Park, there?

You can thank the HIPPIES for it, then.

They're the people who occupied that section of the valley long enough to prevent the Tocks Island Dam from being built.

I have always wondered what the Delaware would look like if NYC wasn't drawing most of us water from the river?

I have a question...Why in Sam Hill was a subdivision approved for this area in the first place?
Were the potential buyers alerted to the presence of an oil transmission pipeline beneath the neighborhood?
Or did the buyers see the homes as too good of a deal to pass up?
I am not necessarily pro big energy companies..I am for US Energy independence and inexpensive fuel.
I believe with some common friggin sense we here in the States can strike a balance between our energy requirements and our environment.

The controversial XL pipeline is expected to traverse the Ogallala aquifer, which has long been threatened by agriculture...

Running Dry on the Great Plains

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/opinion/polluting-the-ogallala-aquifer.html?_r=0

According to a report by the United States Geological Survey in 2009, 90 percent of samples taken from shallow groundwater in Nebraska portions of the Ogallala contained nitrate from fertilizers.

Bees b dyin'...

Pesticide blamed for declining bee population - CBS News)

When the water well next to our home went dry, I got a roll of 1" plastic pipe and transferred by pump from a water well in the old barn lot where they used to graze cattle 20 years prior. I sent a sample to the Water District and they immediately called and told me not to use that water.
"You may as well be drawing from an outhouse" they said. The coliforms were off the charts.

That can't be fair!?

...according to an IRS memo, tar sands oil is not considered “crude oil.” Tar sands oil is in the category of dlibit (shale oil, liquids from coal, tar sands, or biomass). What does this mean? It means the legal definition of dilbit has exempted Exxon from paying into the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, (OSLTF) which will be the national fund used to clean up the Arkansas tar sands oil spill.
Daily Kos: Exxon Exempted Out Of Paying Oil Spill Clean Up Costs

Gotta love it.

Arkansas residents evacuate as Exxon-Mobil tar sands pipeline ruptures | The Raw Story

An Exxon-Mobil oil pipeline ruptured Friday afternoon in the town of Mayflower, Arkansas, forcing the evacuation of 20 homes and shutting down sections of interstate highway. According to Little Rock’s KATV, a hazardous materials team from the Office of Emergency Management has contained the spill and is currently attempting a cleanup.

The burst pipe is part of the Pegasus pipeline network, which connects tar sands along the Gulf coast to refineries in Houston. Thousands of gallons of crude oil erupted from the breach around 3:00 p.m. on Friday, spilling through a housing subdivision and into the town’s storm drainage system, fouling drainage ditches and shutting down Highway 365 and Interstate 40.

Residents were evacuated to avoid health hazards from crude oil fumes and to keep stray sparks from igniting the standing oil. Emergency workers contained the spill by hastily constructing earthen dams.

What's to love about it? This is where we are all supposed to get emotional and trade in our cars for bicycles right. Have you???? No, of course you haven't.

Gotta love it.

What's to love about it? This is where we are all supposed to get emotional and trade in our cars for bicycles right. Have you???? No, of course you haven't.

Maybe not, but it strengthens the argument for developing less reliance on oil, wouldn't you agree?

Maybe not, but it strengthens the argument for developing less reliance on oil, wouldn't you agree?

Develop...The operative..
Let the people in the white lab coats figure it out. Until then we MUST keep finding and harvesting our own energy.

Let the people in the white lab coats figure it out. Until then we MUST keep finding and harvesting our own energy.

What would cost more, to keep subsidising the fossil fuel industries or to put that money into R&D for alternatives?

What would cost more, to keep subsidising the fossil fuel industries or to put that money into R&D for alternatives?

To keep subsidizing the fossil fuel industries. Why do you think we now have oil sand spilling into Arkansas? Because we're running out of easy ways to get those fuels, and before, tar sand was considered expensive, but now it's considered to be good.

Even though it's much worse for the environment in case of a spill than oil ever thought of being.

We're close enough to getting viable energy from solar and wind, only trouble is, BP, Exxon and Shell didn't have the foresight to invest in it, which is why they oppose it.

Give me solar, give me wind, and make it into electricity. I'd like for my grandchild to have a decent planet to live on.

To keep subsidizing the fossil fuel industries. Why do you think we now have oil sand spilling into Arkansas? Because we're running out of easy ways to get those fuels, and before, tar sand was considered expensive, but now it's considered to be good.

Even though it's much worse for the environment in case of a spill than oil ever thought of being.

We're close enough to getting viable energy from solar and wind, only trouble is, BP, Exxon and Shell didn't have the foresight to invest in it, which is why they oppose it.

Give me solar, give me wind, and make it into electricity. I'd like for my grandchild to have a decent planet to live on.

I suppose the upside is that Arkansas now has a tar-sands resource of their very own.

All joking aside though, what the people that question the cost of alternative energy forget...or don't realise...is the huge amount of taxpayers money that is paid to the fossil fuels industry in the form of tax breaks or direct subsidies.
If they were taken away alternative energy would be cost-effective.

I suppose the upside is that Arkansas now has a tar-sands resource of their very own.

All joking aside though, what the people that question the cost of alternative energy forget...or don't realise...is the huge amount of taxpayers money that is paid to the fossil fuels industry in the form of tax breaks or direct subsidies.

You're right.

Quick question..................if the oil subsidies were transferred to wind and solar energy sources, how quick do you think they'd grow?

Me? I'm guessing we'd all be driving really nice electric cars and riding really efficient bicycles by the year 2020.

And oh yeah..............we'd grow crops more efficiently (there's a guy who has done so and shown others how to do it as well) and be healing the planet by then.

You're right.

Quick question..................if the oil subsidies were transferred to wind and solar energy sources, how quick do you think they'd grow?

Me? I'm guessing we'd all be driving really nice electric cars and riding really efficient bicycles by the year 2020.

And oh yeah..............we'd grow crops more efficiently (there's a guy who has done so and shown others how to do it as well) and be healing the planet by then.

My understanding is that, simply by removing the subsidies from fossil fuels, alternative energies would be cheaper - without the need to transfer the money to them.

The other shame is that the US is going to get left behind in the inevitable development of these technologies.

Forum List

Back