Teacher Compensation

That is a problem as educational success has been measured for far too long based upon performance of students. This is too easily manipulated. As a result our schools have been 'dumbed down' ridiculously to accommodate the slowest.
Doubt me? Take the time to peruse 19th and early 20th century textbooks. Students were required to critically think about the material presented to them. School today is a joke...many students agree.
High school is just too easy, students say
What we need to do is to raise the standards required of students. If you press them to strive they will. You cannot expect to produce future leaders by hamstringing the masses for the benefit of the stupid or lazy. As it sits, K-12 in the US is a joke.
In our state there is a rudimentary bar that students must pass. The school is evaluated on how many students you can get over the bar

To me, if you can take a student who has little promise in life and teach him basic functionality......you have accomplished a lot

19th and early 20th century schooling was a sham. More emphasis on memorization of irrelevant facts and rote learning than critical thinking

I think today’s students are more creative

They are, so much has changed in the Schools today. They are building Robots in High Schools now. The competition is fierce.

But the same can be said of Community Colleges as the work force changes the Schools,do too.
Up until the 1940s, most kids never went past eighth grade
Today’s college BA degree is the new high school diploma. There was a time that a high school diploma meant something. Today, most all high schools have a goal of a high graduation rate which on the surface makes sense, however many kids are given passing grades for classes that they don’t really deserve to pass in part to meet the graduation rate goal.

Link?
My opinion. I am the link.

In our state there is a rudimentary bar that students must pass. The school is evaluated on how many students you can get over the bar

To me, if you can take a student who has little promise in life and teach him basic functionality......you have accomplished a lot

19th and early 20th century schooling was a sham. More emphasis on memorization of irrelevant facts and rote learning than critical thinking

They are, so much has changed in the Schools today. They are building Robots in High Schools now. The competition is fierce.

But the same can be said of Community Colleges as the work force changes the Schools,do too.
Today’s college BA degree is the new high school diploma. There was a time that a high school diploma meant something. Today, most all high schools have a goal of a high graduation rate which on the surface makes sense, however many kids are given passing grades for classes that they don’t really deserve to pass in part to meet the graduation rate goal.

Link?

You didn't state an opinion. You claimed something as fact.

.... teachers they can't get rid of due to teachers unions making it basically impossible to fire a teacher over performance, no matter how bad. .....

That's nonsense.
Sorry you don’t like it.

So what is your expertise in this area? Many of us responding to you are teachers. Apparently you are spewing BS to make yourself feel better about your miserable life.

So I am supposed to bow down now and say "hail to the teachers"?
The teaching profession is the same as any other profession...there are good employees and lousy employees. Just because a person is a teacher, doesn't mean they are automatically just that awesome.
I had wonderful teachers in my life, and more than a few truly awful ones. And nothing is done about those truly awful ones. In system after system.
What makes me an expert? I can read. And I can see and hear.
When my kids went through school everyone knew there were teachers you did NOT want your kids to go to. Teachers teaching the same class as others only their students get poorer grades and struggle to pass placement test for college. But the system does nothing.
If you think you are going to sit there and convince America that there is nothing wrong with the teachers union - you are going to be woefully disappointed.
I had teachers that even now at 53, I still think about fondly. Not just very good at what they do, but were really nice people. My two kids had teachers that I appreciated very much. And I have ZERO problem with teachers getting paid better, as long as the teachers unions and the system cleans themselves up and does something about bad teachers.
As a teacher, I cannot comprehend why you would deny their existence.

I never denied their existence. You are using a broad brush to paint all teachers in a negative light. Just go back and read your posts.

You may be able to read, but have you ever considered the source of your information and the locations where all of the negative stories originate? Of course you haven't because that destroys your trolling!

Let's see, you have a blog, several outdated stories that broad brush removing bad teachers despite having 51 different procedures at a minimum, and several posts about New York.

Got anything that is really relevant? Of course not!

Your don't even have a bubble because it burst a long time ago,

There are bad employees in all professions. That is a small percentage. If you think its that good then become a teacher. Why attack teachers? Makes zero sense.

Link?

Your opinion is biased by ignorance.

Link?

You didn't state an opinion. You claimed something as fact.
It’s my opinion, which I beleive to be true. Sorry about not prefacing my post with IMHO.

When I was in HS 35 years ago, an A was 95 - 100, a F was any score below 70. Today in the same state 90 - 100 is an A, 60 - 70 is a D, and anything below 60 is a F.

Link?

Can you honestly tell me that all the students that graduate from your school are proficient in at Algebra (I and II ) and Geometry (with proofs)? How about Chemistry? Today we are pushing kids ( many with IEPs) in these classes that can hardly add positive and negative numbers without a calculator and expect them to keep pace with all the rest of the kids. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of students that are doing great, but there are plenty being pushed through that will not be able to solve an algebra word problem two weeks after graduation from high school.

Of course, maybe it’s always been this way.

Link?

Can you honestly tell me that all the students that graduate from your school are proficient in at Algebra (I and II ) and Geometry (with proofs)? How about Chemistry? Today we are pushing kids ( many with IEPs) in these classes that can hardly add positive and negative numbers without a calculator and expect them to keep pace with all the rest of the kids. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of students that are doing great, but there are plenty being pushed through that will not be able to solve an algebra word problem two weeks after graduation from high school.

Who ever solves algebra word problems two weeks after graduating from high school?

My wife was a teacher for 29 years.

Got every summer off, two weeks at Christmas, a week in the Spring and every holiday. Went into work a couple of hours later than me every day and was always home earlier. Never had to work a weekend.

When she was first starting she worked at home at night a little bit grading and planning but after getting a little experience she didn't have to do that any more.

Great job for he sandwich maker. Her salary paid our combined Federal, State and Local taxes for the year so that we could live on my Engineer's salary.

Never once complained about the pay.

Suck it up Buttercups.

What did she teach? P.E.?

Either that or she must have been a lousy teacher. Was this was 20 years ago?

Your wife never attended a sporting event, play, or exhibition on the weekend? Never had to grade papers? Never had to enter grades into a computer? Never had to plan a lesson or a unit?

:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:

Sorry Moon Bat but she was a great teacher. She won an award from the Jimmy Carter Administration for being a good teacher and she went to a White House ceremony to get the award. The award was for teaching disadvantage kids. You know, the hard stuff.

What else you got Moon Bat?

When I was in HS 35 years ago, an A was 95 - 100, a F was any score below 70. Today in the same state 90 - 100 is an A, 60 - 70 is a D, and anything below 60 is a F.

Link?
Sorry, not everything has a link. You can easily find the current grading scale for South Carolina for today using google. Finding a link for what it was 35 years ago is probably much more difficult. Beleive it or not, the grade scale back then predates the internet as we know it today. It will also be difficult to find YouTube videos of the events in the high schools 35 years ago.
I did make a mistake with my above statements. 60 -69 is a D today. 70 is the beginning of C territory (70-79).

Link?

Proofs are no longer taught because they are unnecessary.

I like to say to my students, "Life is a word problem." It may not be algebra, but all problems are word problems.

Link?

Who ever solves algebra word problems two weeks after graduating from high school?
My statement was somewhat hypothetical. It’s just a way of expressing that IMHO many students are passed through courses without being proficient with the minimal basic content.

Link?

Proofs are no longer taught because they are unnecessary.

I like to say to my students, "Life is a word problem." It may not be algebra, but all problems are word problems.
Are you saying proofs in geometry are not part of your standards in your state?

Forum List

Back