Teacher Compensation

I think Hills only retired old people, and teachers thinking they would be making what the top graduate at an Ivy League school would be getting is their own naive nature. Every time I hear a teacher complain about their pay, I tell them, "Well quit and go into the private sector." I have yet to see someone do it.
Actually, the majority do that...thus such a high turnover rate within the first five years and a teacher shortage.
We get the educational system we deserve

We even have Betsy DeVos looking after it

Yeah, she has to fix the mess she was handed.

I notice that not one pister/basher puts one ounce of responsibility in the students. So if a kid is a complete truant/ disruption and won't do an ounce of work and fall its the fault of the teacher. I believe some of you think all kids just anxiously await to be taught and spend time working at it. What about the growing percentage who do nothing..no studying no work turn in total disengaged. The ones who bring your beloved test scores down? Its the teachers fault correct? You are nuts.
A large percentage of students don’t see the value of education, especially in HS. .....

What percentage? Proof?
Oh, like I’m going to do a study and come up with hard numbers to validate my opinion to an anonymous poster on a message board.

They are just trolls who haven't bothered to put in any effort. It was all on the teacher to ensure they learned it.....laughable.

My wife was a teacher for 29 years.

Got every summer off, two weeks at Christmas, a week in the Spring and every holiday. Went into work a couple of hours later than me every day and was always home earlier. Never had to work a weekend.

When she was first starting she worked at home at night a little bit grading and planning but after getting a little experience she didn't have to do that any more.

Great job for he sandwich maker. Her salary paid our combined Federal, State and Local taxes for the year so that we could live on my Engineer's salary.

Never once complained about the pay.

Suck it up Buttercups.

What did she teach? P.E.?

Either that or she must have been a lousy teacher. Was this was 20 years ago?

Your wife never attended a sporting event, play, or exhibition on the weekend? Never had to grade papers? Never had to enter grades into a computer? Never had to plan a lesson or a unit?

:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:

Sorry Moon Bat but she was a great teacher. She won an award from the Jimmy Carter Administration for being a good teacher and she went to a White House ceremony to get the award. The award was for teaching disadvantage kids. You know, the hard stuff.

What else you got Moon Bat?

I am a Moon Bat, but your wife received an award from an administration that was in office 40 years ago?

I graduated from high school 40 years ago! I guess your job as a typewriter repairman made for a good income.

Totally clueless doesn't even begin to describe how out of touch you are.

I have been in the classroom since 1996. Nothing today compares to when I first started.

Not all teachers are Left Wing assholes like you Moon Bat. Some actually have good conservative values.

I was really proud of my wife back in the 1970s.

When she first started teaching she joined the teacher's union because they had good liability insurance. However, she found out they were using her dues money to support filthy ass Democrat candidates. She quit the union and got professional liability coverage under our homeowners insurance. Thank god that Florida is a right to work state so she could tell the filthy union to go shove it.

Teaching was a good way for her to help the family income by earning enough money to pay our combined Federal State and local taxes each year.

If the stupid cost of government wasn't so high she wouldn't have had to be a working Mom just so our family could get ahead..

You honestly think teaching in the 1970’s has any comparison to today?

You should have been proud of your wife for her accomplishments then.

But it is a whole new world in Teaching today.

The minority kids that she taught back in the 1970s didn't have family values any more then than the kids today.

My Dad always told me that if you didn’t like the salary an employer paid you don’t raise hell with him with all sorts of demands. Be polite and find a job that paid what you desired to make. After all, you knew what the job paid before you accepted the position.

It is a case of priorities of your state and you get what you pay for

These states look at education as nonessential and are willing to hire those who may not be the best available. The bottom of the barrel is good enough to educate their youth
The best of the best do not major in education

Define "best".

Would you or anyone coming out of college work in a field that pays so poorly? It's called dedication.

The top 5% of graduating High school students

And it doesn't say much about your intelligence if you "dedicate" yourself to a job that doesn't pay well

Not all people are dedicated to making the most money.

Some want a rewarding lifetime of making things better.

You do realize many of those things you posted are the reason we find it hard to get or keep good Teachers.

We have 2 Teachers in the family. One left to go into computer technology. The other went into the Medical field.

No doubt.
It is devastating to employee moral when they see people getting paid exactly, or even more than they are but do half the work or less.
It is way way way way past time for our education system to expel permanently teachers unions that are poisoning the entire system.
Our education ranks EMBARRASSINGLY lower than virtually all other major western civilizations. And to think we STILL have a system that refuses to fire bad teachers.
You would think good teachers would be demanding this to change, but as you can see by the "Admiral" here too many will instead demand it stays the same.

Did you ever think of the other side of the story?

Unions make it possible for good Teachers to make a decent wage, Health benefits and Security that some Superviser can give their job to a friend, as they can with out a Union?

Do you really want your kids, grandkids to go back to a one room School where the Teacher has to live with a family, bring in the firewood,etc?

That way of thinking is why this country is going backward today.

With that idiot at the EPA rolling back Standards, giving his $50 a night landlord a Pipeline deal. While flying around the country on your tax dollars first class,trying to rent a private jet for $100,000 a month.

And your choice of President spending 3 million a week flying to his Golf courses, sucking money into his business.

And you are bitching about Teachers wanting a raise?

These states look at education as nonessential and are willing to hire those who may not be the best available. The bottom of the barrel is good enough to educate their youth

Define "best".

Would you or anyone coming out of college work in a field that pays so poorly? It's called dedication.

A Teacher was just on.

36 students in his class and 10 of them do not have Math books.

I hope every Teacher in every state marches.

Define "best".

And it doesn't say much about your intelligence if you "dedicate" yourself to a job that doesn't pay well

Those top 5% of graduating high school students don't become plumbers or auto mechanics either, both of which pay more than teaching.

The fact that you don't understand is more about you than me.

So what?

IMO a plumber or auto mechanic is more important than a teacher

Some do

We have some excellent teachers. Chasing them into other professions will not help our educational system

Matters not to me. I was smart enough not to have kids. And it's not teachers' salary that is the problem it's that we are asking schools to be something else these days.

And like most government run bureaucracies the schools are top heavy with administrators

These teachers should be calling for the culling of the administrative herd

The fact that you did not reproduce makes us eternally grateful!

We did not have to provide for your offspring and the women thank you especially!

Typical teacher. You think you can't have sex if you don't have kids

If you look anything like your personality, you probably have to pay for it!

If you're as stupid as you sound you think your students are laughing with you not at you

Define "best".

Not all people are dedicated to making the most money.

Some want a rewarding lifetime of making things better.

Yeah all the people who get paid shit say that

You do realize many of those things you posted are the reason we find it hard to get or keep good Teachers.

We have 2 Teachers in the family. One left to go into computer technology. The other went into the Medical field.

No doubt.
It is devastating to employee moral when they see people getting paid exactly, or even more than they are but do half the work or less.
It is way way way way past time for our education system to expel permanently teachers unions that are poisoning the entire system.
Our education ranks EMBARRASSINGLY lower than virtually all other major western civilizations. And to think we STILL have a system that refuses to fire bad teachers.
You would think good teachers would be demanding this to change, but as you can see by the "Admiral" here too many will instead demand it stays the same.

Unions make it possible for good Teachers to make a decent wage, Health benefits and Security that some Superviser can give their job to a friend, as they can with out a Union?

Do you really want your kids, grandkids to go back to a one room School where the Teacher has to live with a family, bring in the firewood,etc?

With that idiot at the EPA rolling back Standards, giving his $50 a night landlord a Pipeline deal. While flying around the country on your tax dollars first class,trying to rent a private jet for $100,000 a month.

And your choice of President spending 3 million a week flying to his Golf courses, sucking money into his business.

That is ridiculous.
Unions do no such thing for teachers anymore.
You can't say "teachers aren't paid enough!"...and then turn around and say that the unions are why they get paid so much. o_O

No doubt.

That is ridiculous.
You can't say "teachers aren't paid enough!"...and then turn around and say that the unions are why they get paid so much. o_O

You just took a couple of words from my post, made up your own tale.

My Dad always told me that if you didn’t like the salary an employer paid you don’t raise hell with him with all sorts of demands. Be polite and find a job that paid what you desired to make. After all, you knew what the job paid before you accepted the position.
With that philosophy, no one would ever get a raise, better benefits, and a 40 hour week, etc.

When are you going to mention student responsibility? Waiting. A teacher can put it out there but if a kid refuses to learn again you are blaming only one person. Wow how dog dung dumb.
----------------------------------- maybe huh , but to me it is WHAT the schools do not teach that i only hear about . For example , schools don't teach the Constitution , or Civics and then there are no practical skills like Home EC. or carpentry / shop or the USE of tools . And like i admit , i have been out of School for a long time . But yeah , young 'hip hoppers' just sit in class and say , feck this INIT .
Here in CA they teach Government in 8th grade (about 1/3rd the year) and again in HS.

by the looks of both of them they would have been better off doing some Coal Mining in Scranton and Lackawanna County but teacher work was cleaner , more lucrative , better benefits and more fun MaryAnn . --- Married Teachers Accused of Sexual Abuse of Student ---
How does that stack up to catholic priest pedophiles....or even Mr. Poopy Pants Pedophile of the NRA? All careers/jobs have bad apples.

No doubt.

That is ridiculous.

You just took a couple of words from my post, made up your own tale.

Oh puhleese....you say without unions teachers would have to go back to living with families and carry in firewood and you say I am making stuff up.
Unions were once a VITAL part of the American society as a whole. Unions are what built the middle class, for that, there is no argument. We all owe an enormous gratitude to unions of the early-mid 20th century. Including teachers.
However after the 1970's....unions became a negative factor instead of a positive one.
And this is especially true for the teachers union. The single largest factor today is protecting teachers from responsibility. Making it practically impossible to fire teachers based on low performance. And that makes our system suffer.
Private schools without unions...not only pay teachers better, but out perform public schools almost 100% of the time.

Forum List

Back