Ted Cruz, Longtime Foe Of NASA And Science, Will Oversee NASA And Science In New Congress

Following the ratification of Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) as chair of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committtee last week, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) was named chair of the Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness, where he will oversee NASA and science programs.

Appointed Jan. 8, Cruz is expected to be confirmed to the new role by the end of the month as one of many changes to the new Republican-controlled Congress. But the Republican senator's words and actions during his time in office have painted him to be a far cry from an advocate for the sciences, leaving many concerned about the future of space and science funding.

Cruz's infamous hours-long speech in September 2013, led to a 16-day government shutdown barring 97 percent of NASA employees from appearing for work. Interns to the agency were temporarily displaced when the NASA-provided housing was closed during the shutdown, and many have said the agency suffered lasting damage due to the freeze.

And NASA wasn't the only agency hit by the shutdown: research programsrun by the National Institute of Healthsuffered a blow when new clinical trials were suspended, affecting 200 new patients each week of the shutdown. Environmental Protection Agency programs were also compromised, with 90 percent of employees on furlough.

The agency has conducted research on climate change, recently kicking off five projects to study how the earth's atmosphere affects global warming.

Cruz has claimed there isn't enough evidence to prove global warming is occurring,telling CNN he was skeptical of the "so-called scientific theory."

More: Ted Cruz, Longtime Foe Of NASA And Science, Will Oversee NASA And Science In New Congress

This is bad news NASA and other scientists - including Americans who support those programs.

One would have to be retarded to oppose science and tech development. Eventhough, I support some of his social beliefs...He has lost my vote forever if he attacks our country's ability to compete in these area's.

So you voting for Obama in 2016?

Sounds like it's time to get the RED states off the government tit.

Massive Entitlements and Permanent War costs a whole lot of money. And who do you think's gotta pay for it? Government spending luxuries like space exploration are gonna have to bite the dust at some point. How much more burden can be put on Taxpayers? They're already close to being maxed out. Private space exploration is the future. It's a logical inevitability.

Cry to Republicans - especially Reagan and Bush Jr. Democrats fill the Treasury - Republicans loot it.

Nevertheless, massive entitlements and permanent war are incredibly expensive endeavors. Spending luxuries like space exploration just won't always be possible. The Taxpayers can only handle so much. My advice would be to limit entitlement spending and end permanent war. Maybe then, spending luxuries like space exploration can be possible. But you can't have it all. Americans will eventually be forced to start facing that harsh reality.

Is space exploration all you care about? What about the poor and middle class?

Just saying you can't have it all. You want your massive entitlements and permanent war? Well, you have to pay for it. And you're already $19 Trillion in the hole. So spending luxuries like space exploration will have to go at some point. Private space exploration is a logical inevitability.

Please show me where nasa, nws or science is causing your debt? idiot? You can't. We're spending the least in all of history on them.

Private space exploration is the future. A nation $19 Trillion in Debt and a rapidly expanding Welfare/Warfare State, cannot afford space exploration. Taxpayers are already too stressed, and close to being maxed out. Welfare/Warfare States don't come cheap. Many Government spending luxuries will have to go. That's the harsh reality. It's time for Americans to accept that.

Especially now that we want to add $2 trillion a year in "free" community college to our expenses.
No, no, no. It's eleventy-six trillion a year. When you make shit up, you have to go bigger and bigger.

Obama, the man who ended the US manned space program and ordered all satellite point to Mecca 5 times a day (Ok, I made the last part up, but he did end the manned space program)
Except he didn't. The Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle is a spacecraft intended to carry a crew of up to four astronauts to destinations at or beyond low Earth orbit. Wikipedia
Low Earth orbit ....and not to the Moon and beyond.
That makes no sense, one of us is confused. If we can get to the moon or mars we certainly can get to low-earth orbit.

Unless the Moon or Mars have moved into low Earth orbit, Obama's Orion Program won't get us to either.

MISSION CONTROL: The heat shields are getting too warm.

UNCENSORED2008: That's going to cost $280 billion to fix. Divided by 4 billion Americans, that works out to $23 million apiece for every man, woman, and child.

Massive Entitlements and Permanent War costs a whole lot of money. And who do you think's gotta pay for it? Government spending luxuries like space exploration are gonna have to bite the dust at some point. How much more burden can be put on Taxpayers? They're already close to being maxed out. Private space exploration is the future. It's a logical inevitability.

Cry to Republicans - especially Reagan and Bush Jr. Democrats fill the Treasury - Republicans loot it.

Nevertheless, massive entitlements and permanent war are incredibly expensive endeavors. Spending luxuries like space exploration just won't always be possible. The Taxpayers can only handle so much. My advice would be to limit entitlement spending and end permanent war. Maybe then, spending luxuries like space exploration can be possible. But you can't have it all. Americans will eventually be forced to start facing that harsh reality.

Just saying you can't have it all. You want your massive entitlements and permanent war? Well, you have to pay for it. And you're already $19 Trillion in the hole. So spending luxuries like space exploration will have to go at some point. Private space exploration is a logical inevitability.

Please show me where nasa, nws or science is causing your debt? idiot? You can't. We're spending the least in all of history on them.

Eventually, you won't be spending anything at all on it. Massive Entitlements and Permanent War are incredibly costly endeavors. And you're already $19 Trillion in the hole. How much more burden can be put on Taxpayers?

Some cuts are gonna have to be made at some point. And space exploration will likely be one of them. The Private Sector will handle it in the future. Welfare/Warfare States cost bigtime. You can't have it all. Sacrifices will have to be made.

Obama, the man who ended the US manned space program and ordered all satellite point to Mecca 5 times a day (Ok, I made the last part up, but he did end the manned space program)
Except he didn't. The Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle is a spacecraft intended to carry a crew of up to four astronauts to destinations at or beyond low Earth orbit. Wikipedia
That makes no sense, one of us is confused. If we can get to the moon or mars we certainly can get to low-earth orbit.

Unless the Moon or Mars have moved into low Earth orbit, Obama's Orion Program won't get us to either.

We need to develop a plan. Can we do that anymore?

Eventually, you won't be spending anything at all on it. Massive Entitlements and Permanent War are incredibly costly endeavors. And you're already $19 Trillion in the hole. How much more burden can be put on Taxpayers?

Some cuts are gonna have to be made at some point. And space exploration will likely be one of them. The Private Sector will handle it in the future. Welfare/Warfare States cost bigtime. You can't have it all. Sacrifices will have to be made.

Why not worthless welfare and 100 billion more out of the military? Why out of something that makes high paying jobs for AMERICANS and adds brain power to our own nation.

And Inhoffe, a man who says the Bible proves Anthropogenic Global Warming isn't real, will chair the Environment and Public Works Committee.

It won't be long before kids believe this happened:
06_DinoGirl1.jpg

Why not worthless welfare and 100 billion more out of the military? Why out of something that makes high paying jobs for AMERICANS and adds brain power to our own nation.

Hey i hear ya, but i'm just stating the reality. This Welfare/Warfare State is rapidly expanding. And we're $19 Trillion in the hole. Massive Entitlements and endless War costs us bigtime. It's gonna consume everything eventually. There just won't be any room for Government spending luxuries. Space exploration will be one of those luxuries possibly hit the hardest. It will become a Private Sector endeavor for the most part.

The Taxpayers are just too stressed and just about maxed out. My advice would be to get Entitlement spending under control and end the Wars. Maybe then spending luxuries like space exploration can be possible. Otherwise, cuts will be made elsewhere. I am sad to say it, but it is the reality.

Sorry but I can't tell if you're joking, ignorant, or just stupid but Orion has already made it beyond low Earth orbit. Or are you just splitting semantic hairs between Orion and the Space Launch System?

Ironically, it's the Communist/Progressive wankas who have always pushed for cutting NASA spending. They've always claimed to need that money for the poor children. So i'm not sure where the OP is going with this thread. Seems pretty disingenuous and hypocritical.

Actually, you made up all of that.

President Obama did not end manned space flights.

Turn off fox, limbaugh and brietbart.

Nope, he just hired Russia to act as chaffeur....which Russia now refuses to do.

We do have a plan: Orion and the Space Launch System. There will likely be many changes to the "plan" based on money and politics but there is a plan.

We do have a plan: Orion and the Space Launch System. There will likely be many changes to the "plan" based on money and politics but there is a plan.

maybe we can lasso the Moon and pull it into low Earth orbit

maybe we can lasso the Moon and pull it into low Earth orbit
Newt is on the phone -- he wants you to lead Moon Colony Gingrich

How would NaziCons suggest getting Entitlement spending under control? BTW, Social Security is the largest holder of U.S. debt.

Forum List

Back