Tell Me Why Unions Are Bad

AntiParty

Tea is the new Kool-Aid
Mar 12, 2014
Tell me why Unions are bad. Don't get me wrong, I study the abuse of Unions just like I study the abuse of everything that gets out of control.

Regulation isn't a bad word for either party. It's a necessary and Constitutional word.

So.......since Unions gave us;

1.Weekends without work
2.All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
3.Paid vacation
4.Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
8.Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
12.Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
13.40-hour work week
14.Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
15.Unemployment insurance
16.Pensions
17.Workplace safety standards and regulations
18.Employer health care insurance
19.Collective bargaining rights for employees
20.Wrongful termination laws
21.Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
22.Whistleblower protection laws
23.Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
24.Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
25.Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
26.Sexual harassment laws
27.Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
28.Holiday pay
29.Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
30.Privacy rights
31.Pregnancy and parental leave
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike
34.Public education for children
35.Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
36.Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

Tell me why they are bad.

Let me start. NO Union should force anyone to join a Union pending employment. That's the exact polar opposite of Citizens United forcing employee's to use their money to pay for something they don't believe in.

The people aren't stupid. Let the people chose. The people run this Country. NOT the Government or the Media that pays Millions to politicians.

Last edited:
Note; No argument is a bad argument. But if you just say, "You are stupid" you will be generalized as the bad and sadly typical argument.

They aren't bad, the far right hates them because they stand up for the middle class and working man.

Even HL Mencken thought unions were a good idea for workers...he like many people today just had/has issues with who takes over unions and what they do with the power.

Only a fool would suggest unions as a concept are a bad idea

Sometimes unions are bad. Take for example the London Underground.

They organised a strike because the underground wanted to become more technologically advanced. They said this would mean less people working for the underground, however this could easily be done by reducing hiring, and with retirements and normal leaving, so no one would want to be fired.

So why the strikes? It seems that the union saw less workers means less union members which means less power, less importance for the union, less money for the union etc etc.

So the union was fighting for the UNION and NOT for the workers who might actually benefit from the introduction of technology.

Tell me why Unions are bad. Don't get me wrong, I study the abuse of Unions just like I study the abuse of everything that gets out of control.

Regulation isn't a bad word for either party. It's a necessary and Constitutional word.

1.Weekends without work
3.Paid vacation
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
13.40-hour work week
16.Pensions
23.Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
28.Holiday pay
30.Privacy rights
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike
35.Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work

Let me start. NO Union should force anyone to join a Union pending employment. That's the exact polar opposite of Citizens United forcing employee's to use their money to pay for something they don't believe in.

The people aren't stupid. Let the people chose. The people run this Country. NOT the Government or the Media that pays Millions to politicians.

What the fuck? What, precisely, does CU force anyone to do?

You are misrepresenting the position here. Very few people really think that unions as a whole are bad. That is reserved for those that really don’t bother to think. The position is not that unions are bad but that they have become a bad force in modern times. This is mostly due to the fact that unions have been offered special protections over the years that have reduced their requirement to actually fight for the workers. This is because membership in a union is a MANDATORY function of employment. In virtually all the problem areas, this has been the core problem. When your ‘members’ are legally bound to pay you, why would you offer a quality service?

The reality is that you don’t. That service does not gain you anything so they really don’t bother.

We are starting to fix that travesty though. Right to work states have taken that protection that no other entity receives and made it illegal allowing people to join a union at will rather than forcing them into one as a matter of employment.

Unions should not be destroyed or ended as a practice – they are vital for the workers to maintain leverage in their positions should they need or want it. There is nothing inherently wrong at all with joining together to represent your shared interests. There is something vitally wrong with those unions getting special protections though that forces one to participate in a practice that they do not want to be a part of.

1.Weekends without work
3.Paid vacation
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
13.40-hour work week
16.Pensions
28.Holiday pay
30.Privacy rights
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike

What the fuck? What, precisely, does CU force anyone to do?

You are on MY topic. You need to elaborate and explain. Go ahead. You got this, Right?

You are misrepresenting the position here. Very few people really think that unions as a whole are bad. That is reserved for those that really don’t bother to think. The position is not that unions are bad but that they have become a bad force in modern times. This is mostly due to the fact that unions have been offered special protections over the years that have reduced their requirement to actually fight for the workers. This is because membership in a union is a MANDATORY function of employment. In virtually all the problem areas, this has been the core problem. When your ‘members’ are legally bound to pay you, why would you offer a quality service?

The reality is that you don’t. That service does not gain you anything so they really don’t bother.

We are starting to fix that travesty though. Right to work states have taken that protection that no other entity receives and made it illegal allowing people to join a union at will rather than forcing them into one as a matter of employment.

Unions should not be destroyed or ended as a practice – they are vital for the workers to maintain leverage in their positions should they need or want it. There is nothing inherently wrong at all with joining together to represent your shared interests. There is something vitally wrong with those unions getting special protections though that forces one to participate in a practice that they do not want to be a part of.

I didn't misrepresent anything. I openly stated in the OP that Forced Unionship is the biggest issue with Unions. Reading is grand.

It would be a good idea to give people an idea of what America was like before unions.

The Autobiography of Mother Jones.

The United States of America is a Union. We fought a "civil" war to keep it that way.

It's mother jones and bias parties won't read it because parties have turned into cults where you aren't allowed to accept information from other sources. If you do, you are a weakness and a liability to the party. You will be shunned.

Even HL Mencken thought unions were a good idea for workers...he like many people today just had/has issues with who takes over unions and what they do with the power.

Only a fool would suggest unions as a concept are a bad idea

Are you suggesting that Unions were perfect and shouldn't change or are you stating that Unions have had bad representatives and should change?

Buisness owners Unionize. That's fact. So why don't the people?

Needless to say, most on this board would benefit from a union. It's the fat cats who want cheap labor that are against them.

It was one thing for workers to unite and strike or demand better wages, conditions and reasonable hours. Those things have been accomplished. Now it's a matter of unions demanding dues from people and they use those to fund campaigns. It doesn't matter what the members want.

The unions are all about politics these days. They make big money and spend big money and it's not all about the workers. The unions helped elect Obama. They helped push Obamacare and now want exempt. That attitude that it's okay for the rest of us but not good enough for unions is unacceptable.

The union bosses are nothing more than mobsters these days and they are no longer needed. They've become self-serving.

It was one thing for workers to unite and strike or demand better wages, conditions and reasonable hours. Those things have been accomplished. Now it's a matter of unions demanding dues from people and they use those to fund campaigns. It doesn't matter what the members want.

The unions are all about politics these days. They make big money and spend big money and it's not all about the workers. The unions helped elect Obama. They helped push Obamacare and now want exempt. That attitude that it's okay for the rest of us but not good enough for unions is unacceptable.

The union bosses are nothing more than mobsters these days and they are no longer needed. They've become self-serving.
Those against unions, like the Koch brothers, backed Romney. The mystery is why middle class folks support the 1%, to their own detriment.

Forum List

Back