Tell Me Why Unions Are Bad

Tell me why Unions are bad. Don't get me wrong, I study the abuse of Unions just like I study the abuse of everything that gets out of control.

Regulation isn't a bad word for either party. It's a necessary and Constitutional word.

So.......since Unions gave us;

1.Weekends without work
2.All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
3.Paid vacation
4.Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
8.Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
12.Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
13.40-hour work week
14.Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
15.Unemployment insurance
16.Pensions
17.Workplace safety standards and regulations
18.Employer health care insurance
19.Collective bargaining rights for employees
20.Wrongful termination laws
21.Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
22.Whistleblower protection laws
23.Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
24.Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
25.Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
26.Sexual harassment laws
27.Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
28.Holiday pay
29.Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
30.Privacy rights
31.Pregnancy and parental leave
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike
34.Public education for children
35.Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
36.Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

Tell me why they are bad.

Let me start. NO Union should force anyone to join a Union pending employment. That's the exact polar opposite of Citizens United forcing employee's to use their money to pay for something they don't believe in.

The people aren't stupid. Let the people chose. The people run this Country. NOT the Government or the Media that pays Millions to politicians.

here's what else they gave us.

incompetent workers being kept on the payroll
inefficiency and incompetence
quality issues
over priced products
outsourced jobs.

Unions are fine, they still work for employee rights.

Do you want to know the real reason wingnuts hate unions?

It's because 3 of the top 10 donors to the democratic party are unions.

In other words, the right has no problem with the Kochs throwing millions of dollars into elections, but they don't want anyone else to do the same thing.

Because they're incapable of fair play.

and all of them donate more than the Koch brothers. yet you never hear even a whisper of complaint out of a liberal about their political donations. liberal hypocrisy really is amazing

Tell me why Unions are bad. Don't get me wrong, I study the abuse of Unions just like I study the abuse of everything that gets out of control.

Regulation isn't a bad word for either party. It's a necessary and Constitutional word.

1.Weekends without work
3.Paid vacation
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
13.40-hour work week
16.Pensions
23.Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
28.Holiday pay
30.Privacy rights
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike
35.Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work

Let me start. NO Union should force anyone to join a Union pending employment. That's the exact polar opposite of Citizens United forcing employee's to use their money to pay for something they don't believe in.

The people aren't stupid. Let the people chose. The people run this Country. NOT the Government or the Media that pays Millions to politicians.

quality issues
over priced products
outsourced jobs.

You missed the obvious one: rampant corruption and thuggery!

In other words, the right has no problem with the Kochs throwing millions of dollars into elections, but they don't want anyone else to do the same thing.

You are wrong. The mass majority of conservatives do not oppose all UNIONS. They oppose PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS. Private sector unions have a place in our economy. Public sector unions are a scourge and a conflict of interest so obvious that even FDR opposed them.

Franklin D. Roosevelt: Letter on the Resolution of Federation of Federal Employees Against Strikes in Federal Service
All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters.

we were not allowed to strike.....get fired if you do....had to sign a paper at hiring....

It goes beyond strikes. The fundamental problem (as FDR states) is collective bargaining. It is appropriate in the private sector, where workers bargain with private, profit-making corporations, not the taxpayers.

I still support the Postal Service and hope they continue to deliver mail....but Public Sector unions are rotten to the core.

You are wrong. The mass majority of conservatives do not oppose all UNIONS. They oppose PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS. Private sector unions have a place in our economy. Public sector unions are a scourge and a conflict of interest so obvious that even FDR opposed them.

we were not allowed to strike.....get fired if you do....had to sign a paper at hiring....

It goes beyond strikes. The fundamental problem (as FDR states) is collective bargaining. It is appropriate in the private sector, where workers bargain with private, profit-making corporations, not the taxpayers.

I still support the Postal Service and hope they continue to deliver mail....but Public Sector unions are rotten to the core.

it still does not answer the question about how Management treats the Workers and who handles that...because i have seen how the Dept.of Labor and OSHA were with the PO....

Franklin D. Roosevelt: Letter on the Resolution of Federation of Federal Employees Against Strikes in Federal Service
All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters.

Public Sector Unions LOL. All Union-ship is about is people trying to get power over a select few trying to stomp on them.

1.Weekends without work
3.Paid vacation
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
13.40-hour work week
16.Pensions
28.Holiday pay
30.Privacy rights
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike

quality issues
over priced products
outsourced jobs.

Explain then. Try not to be so small minded and use such a broad sentence. Surely you aren't just repeating what the anti-Union Fox News told you to say. SURELY NOT.

But wow. Your information is flooding my brain..

Public Sector Unions LOL. All Union-ship is about is people trying to get power over a select few trying to stomp on them.

Oh yeah, we all know how government employees are getting stomped on, those poor fuckers. Higher wages, better benefits, earlier retirement and a tax payer base to rip off to fund it all.

The people getting stomped on are the tax payers.

tell it to FDR....

quality issues
over priced products
outsourced jobs.

Explain then. Try not to be so small minded and use such a broad sentence. Surely you aren't just repeating what the anti-Union Fox News told you to say. SURELY NOT.

You seem to be very concerned about intelligence levels and specifically what we may all think of yours as compared to those replying to your posts. You're at a disadvantage here aren't you. It is obvious you like to rail about other posters small brains while at the same time proving with your posts yours is the less impressive of the bunch.

You could actually use some information flooding your brain as it is an empty vessel.

Now is when you predictably call me stupid in a desperate attempt to save any reputation you think you have or have conjured up that you have in your little version of the world in a sad attempt to save yourself. Good luck with that.

Oh yeah, we all know how government employees are getting stomped on, those poor fuckers. Higher wages, better benefits, earlier retirement and a tax payer base to rip off to fund it all.

The people getting stomped on are the tax payers.

Not to fucking jealous there are you Mikey. Maybe if you had tried harder, you could have had one of those hated government union jobs.

What'd you do? Spend your working life slaving for 12 bucks an hour?

God damn them unions for giving middle class people a better paying job. How fucking awful. Right Mikey?

Fuck you people with your anti union bullshit. If you have a better idea for middle class people, lets hear it.

Maybe you, Zander, and some members of your party, but the wingnuts have dragged everyone else down to their level. According to them all union members are greedy thugs that sit on their asses in the factories all day while collecting $60/hour in wages.

Myself, I don't see why public workers should be denied a voice.

Last edited:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

and all of them donate more than the Koch brothers. yet you never hear even a whisper of complaint out of a liberal about their political donations. liberal hypocrisy really is amazing

Because they're open about their donations. The Kochs hide behind assorted superpacs.

1.Weekends without work
3.Paid vacation
5.Sick leave
6.Social Security
7.Minimum wage
9.8-hour work day
10.Overtime pay
11.Child labor laws
13.40-hour work week
16.Pensions
28.Holiday pay
30.Privacy rights
32.Military leave
33.The right to strike

quality issues
over priced products
outsourced jobs.

incompetent workers being kept on the payroll - Actually there are a lot of non-union incompetents getting paid a lot of money. Look at what Halliburton did with the food and electrical no-bid contracts in Iraq. FUBAR'd from the word go. I'm not just pointing at them, or any number of politicians from both sides that pretty much sit on their asses all day taking bribes, idiot trust fund babies being put in charge of a business their wealthy parents bought them, ... and I've seen some dead worthless cashiers at discount stores.

inefficiency and incompetence - I'm going to have to ask you to provide some evidence there. Most of the factories I know were ineffficient due to management's design and flow errors, and the greatest incompetence came from the salaried, upper-level employees.

quality issues - Again, this is management's problem. Workers can't help if they're given cheap, flimsy materials and outdated machinery to work with.

over priced products - Nope. This comes straight from owners' and shareholders' greed. Did you know that the average business owner is supposed to make a 2% profit? They aren't willing to do that, so they raise prices FOR THEIR OWN PAY RAISES. Really.

outsourced jobs - Blaming unions for corporate greed is as unAmerican as it gets. You honestly think that American workers deserve to be turned into slaves. Dude. No.

You seem to be very concerned about intelligence levels and specifically what we may all think of yours as compared to those replying to your posts. You're at a disadvantage here aren't you. It is obvious you like to rail about other posters small brains while at the same time proving with your posts yours is the less impressive of the bunch.

You could actually use some information flooding your brain as it is an empty vessel.

Now is when you predictably call me stupid in a desperate attempt to save any reputation you think you have or have conjured up that you have in your little version of the world in a sad attempt to save yourself. Good luck with that.

Good job providing information there, Mikey.

What a waste of bandwidth.

[MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION], where the hell are you? Show the little boys how to back up their statements.

Note; No argument is a bad argument. But if you just say, "You are stupid" you will be generalized as the bad and sadly typical argument.

A stupid generalization is worse than a bad argument. While union members thought they were getting a good deal thugs like Hoffa were skimming union dues. Stupid union members thought they were getting a good deal time and time again and the labor leaders jumped ship when the factories closed because the manufacturers couldn't afford it. Municipal unions are the most insidious. Major labor unions extract every dime from taxpayers while union officials laugh at golden retirements while municipalities can't even afford police protection.

And what happens without unions? The free market will take care of the workers?

Note; No argument is a bad argument. But if you just say, "You are stupid" you will be generalized as the bad and sadly typical argument.

A stupid generalization is worse than a bad argument. While union members thought they were getting a good deal thugs like Hoffa were skimming union dues. Stupid union members thought they were getting a good deal time and time again and the labor leaders jumped ship when the factories closed because the manufacturers couldn't afford it. Municipal unions are the most insidious. Major labor unions extract every dime from taxpayers while union officials laugh at golden retirements while municipalities can't even afford police protection.

Hoffa went missing decades ago.

Factories didn't close because the owners went all poor, they closed because the thug bosses went overseas for cheap slave labor.

Labor unions don't collect taxpayer monies.

It's executive level employees that get the golden parachutes.

Municipalities can't afford cops because there's no middle class left to pay taxes. The poor can't and the rich offshored their capital.

Forum List

Back