Tesla financial disaster!!!

Wind power will do just fine without subsidies, as will solar. Coal is teetering on the edge of permanent bankruptcy, and losing it's subsidies would be the final straw. Natural gas is good for a couple more decades, then it is out the door. Technology moves on, buggy whip manufacturers are a losing business.
Only somebody who knows as much about cars as Faulty Tower`s Basil would think of a buggy whip in conjunction with automotive technology:

That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour

Funny, I thought we were talking about the Tesla.

We are, that's what happens when a tesla owner "bricks" his car!

Wind power will do just fine without subsidies, as will solar. Coal is teetering on the edge of permanent bankruptcy, and losing it's subsidies would be the final straw. Natural gas is good for a couple more decades, then it is out the door. Technology moves on, buggy whip manufacturers are a losing business.
Only somebody who knows as much about cars as Faulty Tower`s Basil would think of a buggy whip in conjunction with automotive technology:

That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour

I was replying because of polarbear's comment, "That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour".

I was replying because of polarbear's comment, "That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour".

No, I imagine there are more than a couple of Tesla owners who when they found out about the 40,000 cost to replace their "bricked" battery who did likewise. It was enough of a problem that elon reversed the policy so that now a tesla owner can get a battery replacement under warranty.

No, I imagine there are more than a couple of Tesla owners who when they found out about the 40,000 cost to replace their "bricked" battery who did likewise. It was enough of a problem that elon reversed the policy so that now a tesla owner can get a battery replacement under warranty.

Problem solved.

Oh, you mean running over something and damaging the batteries? That is very different from what I was replying to.

Problem solved.

Oh, you mean running over something and damaging the batteries? That is very different from what I was replying to.

Nope.

Tesla addresses 'bricked battery' concerns with nigh-unconditional warranty

Range anxiety isn't the only worry of some prospective Tesla Model S buyers. There's also a slim possibility that the electric car's battery could die permanently if left uncharged. When that happened to one Tesla Roadster, the company initially blamed the buyer. "If you ran your conventional engine without oil, whose fault would it be? It would be the owner's," said Tesla CTO J. B. Straubel. That left the unlucky owner facing a $40,000 battery replacement fee. Today, however, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has announced that his company will bear the cost of almost any battery failure with what he calls the "world's best warranty service."

Problem solved.

Nope.

Range anxiety isn't the only worry of some prospective Tesla Model S buyers. There's also a slim possibility that the electric car's battery could die permanently if left uncharged. When that happened to one Tesla Roadster, the company initially blamed the buyer. "If you ran your conventional engine without oil, whose fault would it be? It would be the owner's," said Tesla CTO J. B. Straubel. That left the unlucky owner facing a $40,000 battery replacement fee. Today, however, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has announced that his company will bear the cost of almost any battery failure with what he calls the "world's best warranty service."

I'm glad Musk changed the warranty to include the battery issue. Of course, the article says there is only a "slim chance" of that happening. And the Tesla manuals tell the owner (several times) the batteries should never be left completely uncharged.

But do you think that was what polarbear was referring to when he said "That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour"? Because that is not what it sounded like to me. It sounded like he thinks the range of the Tesla is less than that of a golf cart.

Problem solved.

Nope.

OMG.......didn't even know about this. What a disaster..........but goes to show......the only people who would buy one of these cars has LOTS and LOTS of $$. Most people are going to run from this faster than Kevin Spacey from all these Dad's.

Bricked batteries..................how ghey!!

Look at last years EV sales............beyond laughable!!! Ford sells more F150 trucks in LESS THAN ONE MONTH than all EV's combined in a year.:ack-1::ack-1:

:spinner::spinner: https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2016-sales-chart-May-vfina2.png :spinner::spinner:

Anybody who takes these vehicles seriously doesn't have two feet squarely on the pavement!:popcorn:. Ive always maintained that progressives somehow have no ability to think on the margin........its all about emotions. HIGHLY fucked. Shit like this proves me right every time!!

Problem solved.

Nope.

I'm glad Musk changed the warranty to include the battery issue. Of course, the article says there is only a "slim chance" of that happening. And the Tesla manuals tell the owner (several times) the batteries should never be left completely uncharged.

But do you think that was what polarbear was referring to when he said "That`s what you might have to do when your electric barbie doll car`s battery is dead after you drove around for 1/2 hour"? Because that is not what it sounded like to me. It sounded like he thinks the range of the Tesla is less than that of a golf cart.

No, polarbear knows far more about Teslas than most people here. I am sure he's referring to the Top Gear test of the Roadster where they were distressed to find that after driving the roadster hard for around 50 miles the battery was flat and the recharge time was the whole day. Not good for a fast paced TV show. They were highlighting the fact that EV's can't compete with ICE powered race cars or motorcycles for that much.

Case in point. The Isle of Man TT has several classes that race. One of them is the TT Zero, for EV bikes. They do one lap around the circuit and their average speed is now up to 117 while the ICE powered bikes do 6 laps (two at full throttle and then a refill of the gas)with a new average speed of 133.962 mph.

Or how about the Formula E? They do half the distance of a standard F1 race, and they have to have TWO cars to do it! Talk about inefficient!

Trump's advisors (Fox & Friends) should suggest that he issue tax credits for coal-powered vehicles to revive the coal industry.

While I know man on the street information is frowned upon here, I found two new interesting tidbits today. One owner of a tesla in Tallahassee finally turned his car back in because there was no one to service it and he was tired of missing it for two weeks while it was being repaired. He just had enough.

In talking about a Prius, I found out that only Toyota can work on them and that with almost any electric car repair the mechanic has to wear up to the elbow gloves to prevent shock and a life insurance policy on the mechanic has to be taken out. I do not know if a defibrillator has to be on scene. While Toyota claims 8 to 10 years for battery replacement, the real life time is closer to 5 or 6 and the replacement costs 8000. Another knock is that the priuses are built so cheaply that knobs and switches fall off with age and in the older models wires were soldered in instead of clip connections and sometimes whole panels have to be replaced. One thing I did not know is that both the ice engine and the electric one have to have a radiator. Last factor is that battery life can vary widely depending on whether they are fully charged or only half charged with regularity. We report, you decide.

Problem solved.

Nope.

No, polarbear knows far more about Teslas than most people here. I am sure he's referring to the Top Gear test of the Roadster where they were distressed to find that after driving the roadster hard for around 50 miles the battery was flat and the recharge time was the whole day. Not good for a fast paced TV show. They were highlighting the fact that EV's can't compete with ICE powered race cars or motorcycles for that much.

Case in point. The Isle of Man TT has several classes that race. One of them is the TT Zero, for EV bikes. They do one lap around the circuit and their average speed is now up to 117 while the ICE powered bikes do 6 laps (two at full throttle and then a refill of the gas)with a new average speed of 133.962 mph.

Or how about the Formula E? They do half the distance of a standard F1 race, and they have to have TWO cars to do it! Talk about inefficient!
That is exactly what I meant. A car like this Tesla has no practical use that would make any sense for the average person on an average income. But for people who have money to burn it is an ideal item to parade their "environmental awareness" in public. It`s better and less annoying than posing for PR photo-op in some refugee camp or making a politically correct speech at any of those über-expensive gala dinners that only they can afford to attend. A sincere philanthropist has no desire to show-boat in public as those who don`t really give a rat`s ass but need something to show on their sleeve in public that they care for the planet...(not necessarily for man-kind). And that Tesla OldRocks keeps praising will do just fine for people like that:
tim-cook-eddy-cue-grammy.jpg

president-clinton-and-his-wife-hillary-wave-from-the-deck-of-the-picture-id771337
rexfeatures_5586908e.jpg

But not for people who earn their money the hard way:
hqdefault.jpg

Problem solved.

Nope.

That is exactly what I meant. A car like this Tesla has no practical use that would make any sense for the average person on an average income. But for people who have money to burn it is an ideal item to parade their "environmental awareness" in public. It`s better and less annoying than posing for PR photo-op in some refugee camp or making a politically correct speech at any of those über-expensive gala dinners that only they can afford to attend. A sincere philanthropist has no desire to show-boat in public as those who don`t really give a rat`s ass but need something to show on their sleeve in public that they care for the planet...(not necessarily for man-kind). And that Tesla OldRocks keeps praising will do just fine for people like that:

As someone said, personal anecdotes seem unwelcome, but I will still post one. I spent about 15 mins talking to a guy driving a 4 year old Model S 70. He loves his car, and said he has not had any trouble at all. He said the only extra costs for him have been tires. He said he was an accountant.

Problem solved.

Nope.

As someone said, personal anecdotes seem unwelcome, but I will still post one. I spent about 15 mins talking to a guy driving a 4 year old Model S 70. He loves his car, and said he has not had any trouble at all. He said the only extra costs for him have been tires. He said he was an accountant.

Well personal anecdotes are fine by me especially so when they inadvertently ( as is the case here) make the same point I was making about the Tesla.
This accountant was exactly the type who would drive around in a Tesla because he wants to attract attention.
And he got your`s didn`t he ?
Would you hire an accountant who has no idea how much more he is paying for the equivalent of 1 gallon of gas in electricity to drive around in that Tesla ?
In Georgia where you are 1 gallon of gas is listed on the net for ~ $ 2.30...and 1 kWh costs about 11 cents
This accountant is paying $ 1.20 more for for each of the number of Joules his Tesla consumes as anyone else does who fuels up with gasoline !
And he told you the only extra cost he had so far were tires...
That is exactly the kind of guy who would buy a Tesla and love it because it baits the very suckers he is looking for to hire him.

Problem solved.

Nope.

Well, the EV's are already starting their dominance of the old ICE tech.

Nope.

Well personal anecdotes are fine by me especially so when they inadvertently ( as is the case here) make the same point I was making about the Tesla.
This accountant was exactly the type who would drive around in a Tesla because he wants to attract attention.
And he got your`s didn`t he ?
Would you hire an accountant who has no idea how much more he is paying for the equivalent of 1 gallon of gas in electricity to drive around in that Tesla ?
In Georgia where you are 1 gallon of gas is listed on the net for ~ $ 2.30...and 1 kWh costs about 11 cents
This accountant is paying $ 1.20 more for for each of the number of Joules his Tesla consumes as anyone else does who fuels up with gasoline !
And he told you the only extra cost he had so far were tires...
That is exactly the kind of guy who would buy a Tesla and love it because it baits the very suckers he is looking for to hire him.

If someone is driving a Tesla Model S P100, their batteries have a capacity of 100 kWh. Add 10% for losses via charger ect, and you need 110 kWh for a full charge. The stated range of the car is 335 miles, but let's use 300, to give the benefit of the doubt. That means the Tesla Model S can go 300 miles for $12.10 (with Georgia electricity going for $0.11 per kWh).

If the gas car gets 30 mpg, it will need 10 gals of gas to get 300 miles. At $2.30 per gallon, this will cost $23.00.

MY expertise is not in batteries or power storage. I would appreciate having the problem with my number explained to me.

meh

A vast majority of red blooded American men with $130,000 at their disposal are gonna grab a Hellcat and a Raptor truck instead of a Tesla S. Every Sunday by me there is a gigantic car show by the ocean.........over 500 cars show. You get a Tesla S or two showing up but sure enough, you see the guy get out and its not a car guy......its some dweeby social outcast trying to fit into a scene. Its so typical..........ghey. Ask 100 men, "Hellcat or Tesla S?".............duh.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back