Texas senate approves open carry law

PC 12031 (g), "(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm

I would still continue to conceal carry, it offers more options.

It is STUPID to carry an unloaded gun, it's better to bring a knife to a gun battle.

CA has banned open carry, see AB 144

California s Unloaded Open Carry Bans A Constitutional and Risky but Perhaps Necessary Gun Control Strategy UCLA Law Review
No one is advocating carrying an unloaded gun.

Nor did I suggest anyone was, but they did in groups, in Starbucks at several locations in the SF Bay Area. I saw them at one, all were in their 20's or 30's, most overweight, white and frankly looked ridiculous. They also emptied the coffee houses of normal customers:

Tired of being thrust onto the front lines of the nation’s debate over guns, Starbucks is asking customers to leave firearms behind when they are in its stores and its outdoor seating areas.

The policy change came after a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday that left 13 people, including the gunman, dead. But Starbucks said its decision was not in response to that or to the shooting spree that killed 26 children and adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., just days before Christmas last year.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE
“I’ve spent a significant amount of personal time on this issue in the last several months and I’ve seen the emotionally charged nature of this issue and how polarizing it is on both sides,” Howard Schultz, the chief executive of Starbucks, said in a telephone interview. “Nevertheless, customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores, not understanding the issue and feeling that guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience, especially when small kids are around.”

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/b...to-keep-guns-out-of-its-cofee-shops.html?_r=0
Starbucks should have simply requested their customers carry concealed – which indeed is the point of doing so, there's no need to advertise one is armed.

Over the years gun manufactures and holster designers have afforded citizens the means by which to carry a concealed handgun with no inconvenience or discomfort; the Bianchi holster for my S&W M&P 40 Shield is comfortable and unobtrusive, for example. Indeed, this calls into question the merits of open carry.

Needless to say, in states or jurisdictions which allow for open carry of handguns, those who wish to do so are at liberty to do so – it ultimately comes down to a personal preference. I prefer to conceal carry because should an incident occur, no one will incorrectly infer that I'm LE and expect me to 'do something.' In fact, other potential victims might expect someone who is open carrying to 'do something' simply because he has a gun. I carry a concealed handgun for my protection only, not that of others, where I can leave the scene of an incident without any questions to call LE once I'm in a safe and secure location.

Again, those who wish to open carry where allowed are welcome to do so without their motives being questioned, but in my opinion concealed carry is the better option.

OMG,OMG,OMG..There's going to be shoot outs in the streets and the blood will flow like the Guadalupe after a hard rain.
I dont expect to see a lot of open carry. The intelligent will continue to keep their weapon concealed.
I'm starting a grave digger business..

Hope your willing to starve..you'll never beat out cheap immigrant labor.
Sure, it's called a back hoe....
It's a dying industry. Most people just pay $900 to cremate these days.

OMG,OMG,OMG..There's going to be shoot outs in the streets and the blood will flow like the Guadalupe after a hard rain.
I dont expect to see a lot of open carry. The intelligent will continue to keep their weapon concealed.
I'm starting a grave digger business..

Hope your willing to starve..you'll never beat out cheap immigrant labor.
Sure, it's called a back hoe....

You think a mexican cant run a backhoe?

It is STUPID to carry an unloaded gun, it's better to bring a knife to a gun battle.

California s Unloaded Open Carry Bans A Constitutional and Risky but Perhaps Necessary Gun Control Strategy UCLA Law Review

Nor did I suggest anyone was, but they did in groups, in Starbucks at several locations in the SF Bay Area. I saw them at one, all were in their 20's or 30's, most overweight, white and frankly looked ridiculous. They also emptied the coffee houses of normal customers:

Tired of being thrust onto the front lines of the nation’s debate over guns, Starbucks is asking customers to leave firearms behind when they are in its stores and its outdoor seating areas.

The policy change came after a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday that left 13 people, including the gunman, dead. But Starbucks said its decision was not in response to that or to the shooting spree that killed 26 children and adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., just days before Christmas last year.

RELATED COVERAGE
“I’ve spent a significant amount of personal time on this issue in the last several months and I’ve seen the emotionally charged nature of this issue and how polarizing it is on both sides,” Howard Schultz, the chief executive of Starbucks, said in a telephone interview. “Nevertheless, customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores, not understanding the issue and feeling that guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience, especially when small kids are around.”

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/b...to-keep-guns-out-of-its-cofee-shops.html?_r=0
Starbucks should have simply requested their customers carry concealed – which indeed is the point of doing so, there's no need to advertise one is armed.

Over the years gun manufactures and holster designers have afforded citizens the means by which to carry a concealed handgun with no inconvenience or discomfort; the Bianchi holster for my S&W M&P 40 Shield is comfortable and unobtrusive, for example. Indeed, this calls into question the merits of open carry.

Needless to say, in states or jurisdictions which allow for open carry of handguns, those who wish to do so are at liberty to do so – it ultimately comes down to a personal preference. I prefer to conceal carry because should an incident occur, no one will incorrectly infer that I'm LE and expect me to 'do something.' In fact, other potential victims might expect someone who is open carrying to 'do something' simply because he has a gun. I carry a concealed handgun for my protection only, not that of others, where I can leave the scene of an incident without any questions to call LE once I'm in a safe and secure location.

Again, those who wish to open carry where allowed are welcome to do so without their motives being questioned, but in my opinion concealed carry is the better option.

I've open carried in Starbucks and seen others do so too. We are peaceful and non menacing in appearance when we do so. What's happened is that some open carry zealots have taken it to the next level and openly carried rifles into businesses. That's when Target, Starbucks, and others took action, not because of the pistol carriers, but because of those who couldn't leave well enough alone. My contempt for these idiots cannot be overstated.

Like when your kid is in someone elses house.

Anti-gun loons want children to remain ignorant of guns as they WANT kids to die in gun accidents - its one of the few ways they have to push their anti-gun agenda.

Gun laws lower sales, which is the point.

RELATED COVERAGE

Having open carry as an option provides protection for the concealed carrier...if for some reason your pistol is exposed, you can get in trouble here in Illinois....

What a society in which one considers one has to carry a pistol to feel protected!

Seems more like a feeding frenzy.

What a society in which one considers one has to carry a pistol to feel protected!

Seems more like a feeding frenzy.

Which human society througout history was exempt from human behavior...........please, name one.....

Then stop complaining about reality...and get a CCW....

Which human society througout history was exempt from human behavior...........please, name one.....

Then stop complaining about reality...and get a CCW....
Hoho, as if the world is not full of societies, with humans behaving, in which it is not necessary to carry a pistol to feel protected.

Well....name one where there is little violence....and usually it will be because the people are controlled in some way...like in Japan.....

Most if not all of the European countries do not require one to carry a handgun in order to feel protected. I don't know of one where firearm carry is needed.

Last edited:
I guess they prefer their societies not to resemble feeding frenzies, as do I.
Yes, because Europe has such a long history of peace and tranquility. cough

I was surprised when I first heard Texas didn't have open carry. We have it here in Washington, I think always have. I see it on rare occasion but am personally not a fan of it but would consider it in the woods where a faster draw might help.

Most if not all of the European countries do not require one to carry a handgun in order to feel protected. I don't know of one where firearm carry is needed.

Except for the victims who are raped, stabbed and beaten on a daily basis.....Sweden...the rape capital of the world, Britain has twice the violent crime as the U.S...........

Twice the reported violent crime, if that is the case, and one quarter the intentional homicide rate.

I know where one would feel more protected whether carrying a handgun or not. But this is hardly to the point. Enough of you obviously like the vicious society you have constructed, so far be it from me to tell you guys how to live, I just know what I prefer.

edit...Oh, and I do enjoy the open carry follies, they're pretty amusing if one doesn't have to put up with them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back