That was the Awfullest speech I've ever heard a Pres make

Last night's speech by Trump at his 100 Day Rally in Pennsylvania was truly stirring, but not in a good way. It was not only disappointing....Very disappointing all around and like I said, it gave me the creeps.

I know you've been in the "I don't like that he's there but he is, so let's hold out hope and give him a chance" camp. Do you so remain?

Make no mistake; I concur with all your OP says. A key difference is that my forbearance of him has expired.

At this point, frankly well before now, to tell the truth, I'd sooner have any of the "old models" or any other new one. Even Nixon. About the only one I to which I wouldn't cotton is Frank Pierce, who, favoring the South's secession, repealed the 1850 Missouri Compromise and thereby paved the way for the Civil War.

Like Trump, Pierce was rather amiable in person, committed to doing things his, every bit as Byronic, and utterly clueless about the greater implications of what he wanted to do. Both show a doggedness for achieving their goals, come hell or high water. Was Pierce popular too? Absolutely. He never lost an election.

Be that as it may, one needs to look all the way back to Richard II -- or perhaps, as Lincoln suggested, Richard III - to find a more inept leader. (Splitting hairs, one might argue that Fillmore was equally inept.) Richard II, had his moments such as Bolingbroke, but mostly his was a reign of ineptitude and unfitness for office, a governance and policy dilettante. We have exactly that in Trump.

I have been in that camp too. If you ignore all the silliness, what we have in President Trump today is more of a classically Republican conservative. The kind many on this Board call derisively a RINO.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of talks with China. They are no longer a currency manipulator.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of military intervention in the Middle East.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of trade deals.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now tolerant of increasing the national debt.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is in favor of tax breaks to the rich (the estate tax impacts only 5200 people a YEAR!)

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of DACA.

He has been turned by reality into a normal president. What we have here are many policies you might've seen out of Hillary Clinton. His more hysterical tweets and speeches are just a way to keep him in power. The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised. Which for the most part is okay with me, the policies he is pursuing are more moderate.
Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of talks with China. They are no longer a currency manipulator.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now in favor of military intervention in the Middle East.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is now tolerant of increasing the national debt.

Unlike on the campaign trail, he is in favor of tax breaks to the rich (the estate tax impacts only 5200 people a YEAR!)

Well, though Trump's "evolution" seems a pyrrhic comfort at best. After all, it took a septuagenarian anywhere from two years to a decade to arrive at those positions when he took a degree in economics and a wealth of credible material indicating the stances' merit has been continually and readily available since the notion of running for POTUS was little but a passing thought in his mind. I'm sorry, but I need "stiffer glue" than that holding the country together.

Be that as it may, the resources expended getting Trump to that point were nonetheless wasted. After all, how much more might have been accomplished were Trump not such a novice. I mean, really. The man came into office with a sympathetic Congress and a SCOTUS appointment. Talk about opportunity squandered....

I take exception with one of your observations above: I don't think Trump has ever been opposed to trade deals.
He has been turned by reality into a normal president.

I accept that as a debatable point, but in that debate, I stand on the side that's unconvinced the transformation is both complete and irreversible. There is, of course, no need to debate that point, for, barring unforeseen calamity, time will tell. I have my "fingers crossed" hoping that the next 3.75 years don't lay before him issues that are even more complicated, or even just more, than currently confound him.

What we have here are many policies you might've seen out of Hillary Clinton.

I agree with the tacit implications in that statement. Would that more people were to take such an objective view of the candidates among which they must choose.

The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised.

I find that supremely disturbing, more so than the fact that they elected Trump.
  • They elected a buffoon once; they can do it again, and having Trump's campaign as a model, the next time they'll know exactly how.
  • That indifference strongly suggests they prioritize party over country. That's not a good thing. If one votes for a candidate based on their promise to do X and upon taking office s/he does the opposite of X, and that doesn't tick off the folks who voted them into office, the only rational conclusion to draw from that pattern is the voters didn't ever give a damn about sagacious policy and governance and that, instead, they viewed the whole matter as akin to a sporting contest.
  • Their willingness to do so indicates that, unlike Trump, they have not in the past six months learned a goddamned thing.
....Yet we let people like that vote...Indeed, they're encouraged do so. In what other context are people known to willfully and perpetually "sleep at the wheel" given car keys?

It is hard to say he is for or against anything (such as trade deals) because of his shifting positions. I don't know, maybe he will shift again --- but the thing I totally agree with you on is the fact he's now essentially got all three branches and we have no legislation yet. None. That's bewildering to me. Should've started with tax, imho, and really gotten something done.

One thing I noticed is that he is really reaching out to Congress, private dinners with one or two senators and congressmen at a time. That'll pay off in the long run, maybe not today. But it again shows him turning from rhetoric to reality where it counts. Where it doesn't count, in tweets and speeches, he throws red meat to the credulous.

The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised. Which for the most part is okay with me, the policies he is pursuing are more moderate.

Yes, that is a positive thing, but I'm not of a mind that it's enough.

Yeah we can't all talk like 3rd graders. You're right.

"Awfullest" is not a word dip, any 3rd grader would know that.
I didn't say it was. I'm not the supporting Trump. He's the one who talks like an actual 3rd grader.

Guess you never been instructed on public speaking, you're suppose to tailor the message to the lowest educated person in the room, not the highest. But I guess the OP understood everything perfectly since they appear to lack an education.

Lol now that's funny. Perhaps if 3rd graders had the right to vote, you might have a point.

You have to remember where he was speaking, it was Philly after all.

Get a map.

Last night's speech by Trump at his 100 Day Rally in Pennsylvania was truly stirring, but not in a good way. It was not only disappointing, it was frightening. As one CNN guest, a former governor, put it, "I feel like I need a shower."

Why was this one so bad, when I've watched so many others of his without feeling the need to growl at the television set like I did last night? It wasn't because I've lost my ability to listen to another's point of view. It wasn't that I've turned into a partisan froot loop who will automatically criticize everything the man says or does. It was because:

• During his rambling prelude, giving a 10 minute perfunctory slamming of the press, he wore the smug, self satisfied smirk of a bully safe in his position that would lead most parents to say "Wipe that smirk off your face or I'll wipe it off for you."

• He spent a great deal of time deftly conflating the genuine concerns about MS-13 with all illegal immigrants and then to frost the cake, he read that damned "The Snake."

• He did spend a few minutes talking about his accomplishments in the first 100 days, but then spent the rest of the speech giving the exact same campaign promises that he has not actually been able to take the first steps toward. Last I knew, ISIS is no more "on the run" than it was at the end of Obama's term. Economic growth this quarter was .7%. When he mentioned the Wall, it was to say "Don't worry--we'll have a Wall." How? Since you just took it off the spending bill because Congress won't fund it? Yadda, yadda, yadda. He's making us safe, making us prosperous, making us GREAT.
Tbh, what bothered me the most was the way the crowd was reacting with their chanting on demand at the end of each of his pronouncements like a brainwashed proletariat. I was reminded of watching the NK parade--everyone in the crowd chanting exactly what the Boss wants to hear. That was actually the creepiest, most frightening part, what we seem to be turning into.

That was not a president's speech. It was the ill tempered rant of a man who smugly feels he can get away with anything, and who continues to ignore or demean the 60% of the country that doesn't approve of the job he's doing. It was mostly an old recycled stump speech from his glory days of the campaign, when any hollow promise goes.

Very disappointing all around and like I said, it gave me the creeps.

Trump's entire speech on 100th day - CNN Video

Having the rally itself shows what a whiny little insecure bitch he is. He'll do anything for the feeling of people liking him.

Not to worry...you're not alone.
All weirdos, bottom feeders, illegals, men in dresses, pole puffers and criminals cringe every time Trump speaks.
Meanwhile anyone legit is still smiling ear to ear....hahaha
Pole puffers huh? Why should they cringe? So your degenerate white trash friends can hunt them down? Sure let's see if Trump will actually keep hate crimes from being prosecuted. Trump doesn't give a shit about you and you're too much of an idiot to realize it. Only his rich cronies will see any benefit to his administration.

Easy there bud...neither myself nor my degenerate white trash friends have a problem with pole puffers...we think they're quite entertaining...especially the "catchers" with the tramp stamps, half shirts and high pitched voices.
Oh so nothing will happen to gay people because Trump will accomplish nothing in their regard? Yeah that's what i thought.

"Awfullest" is not a word dip, any 3rd grader would know that.
I didn't say it was. I'm not the supporting Trump. He's the one who talks like an actual 3rd grader.

Guess you never been instructed on public speaking, you're suppose to tailor the message to the lowest educated person in the room, not the highest. But I guess the OP understood everything perfectly since they appear to lack an education.

Lol now that's funny. Perhaps if 3rd graders had the right to vote, you might have a point.

Get a map.

My mistake. Still in a traditionally blue State.

He had to have an excuse for not going to the Correspondents' Dinner.

President Donald Trump needed no excuse. He simply stepped up, again, and showed his popularity with the voters and the hypocrisy of the Hollywood and Correspondent elites how far they are from reality.

Last night's speech by Trump at his 100 Day Rally in Pennsylvania was truly stirring, but not in a good way. It was not only disappointing....Very disappointing all around and like I said, it gave me the creeps.

I know you've been in the "I don't like that he's there but he is, so let's hold out hope and give him a chance" camp. Do you so remain?

Make no mistake; I concur with all your OP says. A key difference is that my forbearance of him has expired.

At this point, frankly well before now, to tell the truth, I'd sooner have any of the "old models" or any other new one. Even Nixon. About the only one I to which I wouldn't cotton is Frank Pierce, who, favoring the South's secession, repealed the 1850 Missouri Compromise and thereby paved the way for the Civil War.

Like Trump, Pierce was rather amiable in person, committed to doing things his way, every bit as byronic, and utterly clueless about the greater implications of what he wanted to do. Both show a doggedness for achieving their goals, come hell or high water. Was Pierce popular too? Absolutely. He never lost an election.

Be that as it may, one needs to look all the way back to Richard II -- or perhaps, as Lincoln suggested, Richard III - to find a more inept leader. (Splitting hairs, one might argue that Fillmore was equally inept.) Richard II, had his moments such as Bolingbroke, but mostly his was a reign of ineptitude and unfitness for office, that of a governance and policy dilettante. We have exactly that in Trump.

Henry VI and George III way more inept than Richard II. And Richard III was the furthest thing from inept as can be.
I don't want to debate that point. Do you really want a POTUS as inept as any of them?
Richard III was the furthest thing from inept as can be.
As for Richard III, you're right. I should not have "made do" by misstating the reality of his reign by calling him "inept," when "remembered as depraved" is a more apt adjective. My bad.

Among the things he's believed to have done are:
  • Infanticide of his two nephews, whom he'd had bastardized.
  • Murder of his wife
  • Murder of his wife's former spouse
  • Murder of King Henry VI
  • Murder of his brother Clarence, despite the man having been parliamentarily declared treasonous.
The man was thought to be such a mess -- though Tudor writers deliberately, I think, cultivated that image, no doubt in large measure because the Tudors, not the Plantagenets, won the battle at Bosworth Field -- that one must wonder whether he was mentally ill. Indeed, of him in light of what is perceived to be his legacy, among the nicest things that can be said is that he died young.

Did Richard III truly do all those things? Modern scholarship indicates he did not. He was, however, a king, and that means that the perception is just as important as the reality, particularly after his demise.

Like Trump, Pierce was rather amiable in person, committed to doing things his, every bit as Byronic, and utterly clueless about the greater implications of what he wanted to do. Both show a doggedness for achieving their goals, come hell or high water. Was Pierce popular too? Absolutely. He never lost an election.

Be that as it may, one needs to look all the way back to Richard II -- or perhaps, as Lincoln suggested, Richard III - to find a more inept leader. (Splitting hairs, one might argue that Fillmore was equally inept.) Richard II, had his moments such as Bolingbroke, but mostly his was a reign of ineptitude and unfitness for office, a governance and policy dilettante. We have exactly that in Trump.

I have been in that camp too. If you ignore all the silliness, what we have in President Trump today is more of a classically Republican conservative. The kind many on this Board call derisively a RINO.

He has been turned by reality into a normal president. What we have here are many policies you might've seen out of Hillary Clinton. His more hysterical tweets and speeches are just a way to keep him in power. The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised. Which for the most part is okay with me, the policies he is pursuing are more moderate.

Well, though Trump's "evolution" seems a pyrrhic comfort at best. After all, it took a septuagenarian anywhere from two years to a decade to arrive at those positions when he took a degree in economics and a wealth of credible material indicating the stances' merit has been continually and readily available since the notion of running for POTUS was little but a passing thought in his mind. I'm sorry, but I need "stiffer glue" than that holding the country together.

Be that as it may, the resources expended getting Trump to that point were nonetheless wasted. After all, how much more might have been accomplished were Trump not such a novice. I mean, really. The man came into office with a sympathetic Congress and a SCOTUS appointment. Talk about opportunity squandered....

I take exception with one of your observations above: I don't think Trump has ever been opposed to trade deals.

I accept that as a debatable point, but in that debate, I stand on the side that's unconvinced the transformation is both complete and irreversible. There is, of course, no need to debate that point, for, barring unforeseen calamity, time will tell. I have my "fingers crossed" hoping that the next 3.75 years don't lay before him issues that are even more complicated, or even just more, than currently confound him.

I agree with the tacit implications in that statement. Would that more people were to take such an objective view of the candidates among which they must choose.

The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised.

I find that supremely disturbing, more so than the fact that they elected Trump.
  • They elected a buffoon once; they can do it again, and having Trump's campaign as a model, the next time they'll know exactly how.
  • That indifference strongly suggests they prioritize party over country. That's not a good thing. If one votes for a candidate based on their promise to do X and upon taking office s/he does the opposite of X, and that doesn't tick off the folks who voted them into office, the only rational conclusion to draw from that pattern is the voters didn't ever give a damn about sagacious policy and governance and that, instead, they viewed the whole matter as akin to a sporting contest.
  • Their willingness to do so indicates that, unlike Trump, they have not in the past six months learned a goddamned thing.
....Yet we let people like that vote...Indeed, they're encouraged do so. In what other context are people known to willfully and perpetually "sleep at the wheel" given car keys?

It is hard to say he is for or against anything (such as trade deals) because of his shifting positions. I don't know, maybe he will shift again --- but the thing I totally agree with you on is the fact he's now essentially got all three branches and we have no legislation yet. None. That's bewildering to me. Should've started with tax, imho, and really gotten something done.

One thing I noticed is that he is really reaching out to Congress, private dinners with one or two senators and congressmen at a time. That'll pay off in the long run, maybe not today. But it again shows him turning from rhetoric to reality where it counts. Where it doesn't count, in tweets and speeches, he throws red meat to the credulous.

The hard core Trump supporters are willing to overlook the fact that he has changed significantly from what he promised. Which for the most part is okay with me, the policies he is pursuing are more moderate.

??? Did your computer "hiccup?" I don't' see anything in your post.

Last night's speech by Trump at his 100 Day Rally in Pennsylvania was truly stirring, but not in a good way. It was not only disappointing, it was frightening. As one CNN guest, a former governor, put it, "I feel like I need a shower."

Why was this one so bad, when I've watched so many others of his without feeling the need to growl at the television set like I did last night? It wasn't because I've lost my ability to listen to another's point of view. It wasn't that I've turned into a partisan froot loop who will automatically criticize everything the man says or does. It was because:

• During his rambling prelude, giving a 10 minute perfunctory slamming of the press, he wore the smug, self satisfied smirk of a bully safe in his position that would lead most parents to say "Wipe that smirk off your face or I'll wipe it off for you."

• He spent a great deal of time deftly conflating the genuine concerns about MS-13 with all illegal immigrants and then to frost the cake, he read that damned "The Snake."

• He did spend a few minutes talking about his accomplishments in the first 100 days, but then spent the rest of the speech giving the exact same campaign promises that he has not actually been able to take the first steps toward. Last I knew, ISIS is no more "on the run" than it was at the end of Obama's term. Economic growth this quarter was .7%. When he mentioned the Wall, it was to say "Don't worry--we'll have a Wall." How? Since you just took it off the spending bill because Congress won't fund it? Yadda, yadda, yadda. He's making us safe, making us prosperous, making us GREAT.
Tbh, what bothered me the most was the way the crowd was reacting with their chanting on demand at the end of each of his pronouncements like a brainwashed proletariat. I was reminded of watching the NK parade--everyone in the crowd chanting exactly what the Boss wants to hear. That was actually the creepiest, most frightening part, what we seem to be turning into.

That was not a president's speech. It was the ill tempered rant of a man who smugly feels he can get away with anything, and who continues to ignore or demean the 60% of the country that doesn't approve of the job he's doing. It was mostly an old recycled stump speech from his glory days of the campaign, when any hollow promise goes.

Having the rally itself shows what a whiny little insecure bitch he is. He'll do anything for the feeling of people liking him.

All weirdos, bottom feeders, illegals, men in dresses, pole puffers and criminals cringe every time Trump speaks.
Pole puffers huh? Why should they cringe? So your degenerate white trash friends can hunt them down? Sure let's see if Trump will actually keep hate crimes from being prosecuted. Trump doesn't give a shit about you and you're too much of an idiot to realize it. Only his rich cronies will see any benefit to his administration.

Easy there bud...neither myself nor my degenerate white trash friends have a problem with pole puffers...we think they're quite entertaining...especially the "catchers" with the tramp stamps, half shirts and high pitched voices.
Oh so nothing will happen to gay people because Trump will accomplish nothing in their regard? Yeah that's what i thought.
What do gay people need that the rest of us don't need???
Do they need jobs?
Do they need to be secure in their homes?

tumblr_nv7cb8nBFv1s3y9slo1_500.gif

Yeah I had a long thoughtful post in response to your thoughtful post and somehow I deleted it. Dim Bulb.

I often think of RIII's opening soliloquy when I think of President Trump. It really fits, doesn't it? He is taking credit for making the sun come out again after a long (8 year) winter. And of course "I am determined to prove a villain and hate the idle pleasures of these days."

The other thing totally unrelated to politics I noticed recently is that in his last speech in Henry VI part iii, Richard compares himself to a dog ("That I should snarl, bite, and play the dog"), then in his next speech, the opening soliloquy of RIII, he talks about dogs barking at him as he passes by. You just can't read Shakespeare enough, you know?

Get a map.

Read James Carville quotes.

Yeah I had a long thoughtful post in response to your thoughtful post and somehow I deleted it. Dim Bulb.

I often think of RIII's opening soliloquy when I think of President Trump. It really fits, doesn't it? He is taking credit for making the sun come out again after a long (8 year) winter. And of course "I am determined to prove a villain and hate the idle pleasures of these days."

The other thing totally unrelated to politics I noticed recently is that in his last speech in Henry VI part iii, Richard compares himself to a dog ("That I should snarl, bite, and play the dog"), then in his next speech, the opening soliloquy of RIII, he talks about dogs barking at him as he passes by. You just can't read Shakespeare enough, you know?
I had a long thoughtful post in response to your thoughtful post and somehow I deleted it.
  1. Thank you for the compliment.
  2. Thank you for making the effort to say something thoughtful -- so few do -- even if it didn't make into the post.

If CNN felt they needed to "take a shower" it makes the Trump speech even more satisfying.

I often think of RIII's opening soliloquy when I think of President Trump. It really fits, doesn't it?

Yes. I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, I can see that. Give it time. Trump may yet claim credit for a sunny day.

For my part, I suspect that Trump's will be a four year long winter of discontent. LOL To be sure, however, countless of Richard's lines -- perhaps even all of them -- could as well come from Trump's mouth were he so eloquent as The Bard.

Unmannered dog, stand thou when I command!—
Advance thy halberd higher than my breast
-- William Shakespeare, Richard III, Act I, Scene II
One need only grab a copy of the play and scan for Richard's tag. LOL

Do they need jobs?

What? That isn't what I fucking said. Broke Loser was the one making the claim gay people cringe whenever Trump gives a speech.

Get a map.

Read James Carville quotes.

If you think I'm going to research everything that lame asshole ever said in hopes to run across what you're referring to you're as nuts has he is. If you have something in mind post it.

I have thought the same of a Trump supporter The outright glee that they force themselves to be in the face of failure. You're right just like what North Koreans are required do for their leader Kim Jun Un. Like robots--they're going to support their leader no matter what. And agreed it is very scary. The mentality of that is astounding, and it's still astounding.

A Trump supporter lives in a world all their own. They are people that need to continually be told what to do. They're well below par on a rational thinking process & do not possess pragmatic thought. It's easier to not think, and let someone else do the thinking for them. They believe they've elected John Wayne. And it's very clear that the majority of this nation, nor the congress of this country have any such opinion of him. Here is a great article on this.
A neuroscientist explains what may be wrong with Trump supporters’ brains

They certainly were not attracted to him by any of the debates because of knowledge or experience. There wasn't one single debate he won, including with Hillary Clinton. If they tell you that, they're lying through their teeth. They were attracted to the bombastic--the insults, the offensive remarks.

This is what they were attracted to. This is what sent a thrill up their legs.

20160119_120304_trumptoon06.jpg

He was delivering to them everything they wanted to hear--without them never questioning once, how he intended to accomplish all of his campaign rhetoric. "Just believe me--I alone--can do this." "I know more than our Generals do." "I know people that know more than the CIA, the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and 14 other intelligence agencies and I'll get back to you on this next week." They believed everything he was telling them, no matter how implausible it was. It was an astounding Phenomena, especially coming from American citizens, whom normally question everything.

Even Trump remarked about this phenomena in this statement.

"Donald Trump boasted Saturday that support for his presidential campaign would not decline even if he shot someone in the middle of a crowded street.
"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters," Trump said at a campaign rally here."

Donald Trump could 'shoot somebody and not lose voters' - CNNPolitics.com

He's right he could have shot someone down on 5th Avenue in New York City in cold blood and for no dam reason and he wouldn't have lost a single supporter. Clearly this rally shows that this mentality is still rock solid. And that is what is very scary.

1455896500963-trump_stupid_people.jpg

Even Republicans were very frustrated with this mentality during the primary. Here is a great article--funny but soooo true.
All Along I Thought Trump Wasn’t a Conservative/Republican, But Now I Realize I’m Not

As another stated on this board--which is also 100% truth: "Trying to reason with a Trump supporter is like trying to teach algebra to a Chimpanzee."

Last edited:

Do they need jobs?

What? That isn't what I fucking said. Broke Loser was the one making the claim gay people cringe whenever Trump gives a speech.
Phhhhfffffffffffffffffffft..........

tumblr_me0k9vIDME1rynxj1.gif

We have 2 dysfunctional political parties, the GOP and the Dems, to thank for that speech, to thank for a giant orange clown becoming president. The Dems, thru their arrogance, believed they were never going to loose another election, so they handed their nomination to a crooked, tired and worn out canidate, who their base would not support. The GOP was so out of touch with their base that they didn't realize what the voters were saying. They thought they could feed them another Bush, or even a Rubio (because he was a hip Latino) or if all else fails just let Cruz the tea party guy have it. They had no clue that their brand was being rejected.

But neither brands were eliminated, same ole congress and senate. Maybe 2018 both sides will have the balls to eliminate 80% and vote someone new in.

Great observation, but I highly doubt it will change that quickly. It will take a type of voter revolution. A revolution where the voters put aside their political views, and vote to clear out the vermin scum that has infested D.C. for decades. I'm not holding my breath.

You can look at those sycophants and see them drinking the Koolaid he's serving them. I never understood Jonestown; but watching this, I can see how shit like that can happen.
Yeah.....well fuck you......

hillary-stop.gif
Thanks, I take that as tacit agreement. :mm:

It was a superb speech. It is to be expected that Trump bashers gonna bash. They can't even be taken seriously any more.

One of the shrewdest moves by Trump is forcing the reporters to cover his speech instead of going to that dinner.

Superb in what way?

Hey, I've just watched the first 3 seconds and you know what popped up in my head?

The Nazi rallies.

I can't even be bothered to watch past the first minute or so. It's the same old, same old.

Forum List

Back