The 14th Amendment, Sec. 4

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ... shall not be questioned."

Food for thought.

Entire section putting the above in context:

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."

The debt is not threatened by a shut down. You see the Government still collects money every month. More then enough to pay the interest on the debt.

So even if the debt ceiling is NOT raised the debt still gets paid.

I believe even a 5th grader would know that. But I guess assuming democrats are smart enough to know is assuming to much.

So, it means that Obama should pay the interest when it's due and not waste money putting up Barrycades to keep people out of parks.

Considering that the IRS is still collecting Taxes, this is incredibly:

Easy Peasy.

• Banned
The debt is not threatened by a shut down. You see the Government still collects money every month. More then enough to pay the interest on the debt.

I believe even a 5th grader would know that. But I guess assuming democrats are smart enough to know is assuming to much.

Do you have proof of your assertion that, " the Government still collects money every month. More then enough to pay the interest on the debt."?

Even if that is true, do you know who actually makes sure creditors are paid?

Federal Employees of course, and if they are not at work the debt will not be paid. Who collects all this money you allege comes in each month, and who apportions it? Yep, those same Federal Employee on furlough.

So, it seems, you question this phrase from Sec. 4 of the 14th Amendment: "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, ... shall not be questioned." If the debt is valid, the debt must be paid on time and in full. Otherwise our nation becomes a deadbeat. Since many of those owed by the Federal Government are United States Citizens, what impact will this stupid gambit by the radical Republican fringe have on our economy?

Of course you don't know, you likely never think through your opinions given what you post on this forum.

Yep because I know taxes are being taking out of paychecks every month.So again Oblamo is full of shit

I did not think BHO should use the 14th Amendment in the summer of 2011.

I do not think he should use it now.

But, if the shutdown runs into the debt deadline, I would not bet against him doing it.

(1)

Do you have proof of your assertion that, " the Government still collects money every month. More then enough to pay the interest on the debt."?

(2)

Federal Employees of course, and if they are not at work the debt will not be paid. Who collects all this money you allege comes in each month, and who apportions it? Yep, those same Federal Employee on furlough.

(1) The CBO issues an annual report. Currently interest on the debt is about 8% of revenue.

(2) So the only way the US government can default on the interest payments is if the Secretary of the US Treasury instructs his accountants to not process an invoice.

Psst...Treasury accountants are still at work.

(1)

(2)

(1) The CBO issues an annual report. Currently interest on the debt is about 8% of revenue.

(2) So the only way the US government can default on the interest payments is if the Secretary of the US Treasury instructs his accountants to not process an invoice.

Psst...Treasury accountants are still at work.

So it is confirmed Wry is not as smart as a 5th grader.

Given the choice between taking the word of a retired sargent or a former president, I choose to take the word of a former president. Don't take this personally but I suspect Reagan has a better background in understanding the debt ceiling than you do.

"Unfortunately, Congress consistently brings the government to the edge of default before facing its responsibility. This brinkmanship threatens the holders of government bonds and those who rely on Social Security and veterans benefits. Interest rates would skyrocket, instability would occur in financial markets, and the federal deficit would soar. The United States has a special responsibility to itself and the world to meet its obligations. It means we have a well-earned reputation for reliability and credibility -- two things that set us apart from much of the world."
Ronald Reagan, 1968

PolitiFact | Ronald Reagan talks about the debt ceiling

I did not think BHO should use the 14th Amendment in the summer of 2011.

I do not think he should use it now.

But, if the shutdown runs into the debt deadline, I would not bet against him doing it.

Use it for what, making sure the debt is serviced. That's all the 14th deals with.

Yep because I know taxes are being taking out of paychecks every month.So again Oblamo is full of shit

I thought the IRS was incorporated in peurto RICO? Once british

So, it seems, you question this phrase from Sec. 4 of the 14th Amendment: "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, ... shall not be questioned." If the debt is valid, the debt must be paid on time and in full. Otherwise our nation becomes a deadbeat. Since many of those owed by the Federal Government are United States Citizens, what impact will this stupid gambit by the radical Republican fringe have on our economy?

Of course you don't know, you likely never think through your opinions given what you post on this forum.

You're joking right?

It collected money from me every 2 weeks, Social Security, Medicare, Income Tax etc. Our government collects $14 trillion almost every year, enough to service the current debt, and if necessary, it can establish slush funds to pay employees for limited periods of time. Such things though, can only be approved by the house. So far, they have offered to appropriate money to pay these furloughed employees, but Reid is being a dick and refusing. Gee, I thought he cared?

Last edited:
First off, the Op is showing an Act to force the confederacy to pay for the Civil War. That was it's purpose and in legal terms is a far stretch from the intent of the current situation. Would Obama use it, probably if we reach the 17th where the first possible default of 30 BILLION on the Interest on the debt is reached. So he may use it in limited terms, but I doubt he would try it on the whole issue.

If used, it should be challenged. To SCOTUS if necessary as it should not be power of the executive office. It sets a DANGEROUS PRESIDENT to the Constitution. Our founders were clear in the enumerated powers of Gov't, to limit their powers and make every decision as local as possible. This would effectively challenge the Power of the Purse and allow Dictatorship like rule. It should NOT BE ALLOWED, and is CLEARLY AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION.

Secondly, we are running debts of roughly 100 BILLION a month. They have cooked the books since May. We now owe the DEBT FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS as this dog and pony show continues. So this adds to the equation on default. Which means that the Congress will at a minimum have to pass a Funding bill for the Interest Payment.

After this situation is finished, there will be another round of the same in January, as we will now spend about a TRILLION in just a few months as we must pay for creative accounting measures.

In the end, the GOP should press for more cuts to Gov't to lower the endless cycle of debt that is a threat to our future. The method of continuous debt and CURRENCY MANIPULATION is DESTROYING THE VALUE OF THE DOLLAR and lowering our standard of living. It makes EVERYTHING WE BUY COST MORE. Our Poverty levels are rising. Less people are working, and many of those working are now forced to work multiple jobs just to get by. And now, because of the ACA, they can't even get overtime pay because so many businesses are simply not letting new hires work more than 29 hours a week.

Bottom line. We are heading down the wrong path. When we need cuts we expand. Our Liabilities with Social Security, Medicare, and Pensions are rapidly increasing while REVENUES ARE LOW. This is an equation for the Destruction of our economy, or standard of living, and the Future of our Nation. Anyone who denies this and says JUST PRINT MONEY and REFUSES to see the consequences of it, or the history of Nations that have FAILED as a result, is a FOOL.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ... shall not be questioned."

Food for thought.

Entire section putting the above in context:

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."

The GOP wanted to pass a law giving Treasury authority to allocate revenue so debt would be paid first. Obama promised to veto it.

Anyway, what is your purpose in posting, or what do you propose?

Forum List

Back