The 1950s were overrated!

You guys who actually think than anyone posts, ponders, thinks, acts or even remembers what went on in "school" are amusing.

Last edited:
Say what you want, I'll take that era over this one any day.
Of course you would – you're the typical fearful reactionary, frightened of change, diversity, and dissent.
One must admit this was a much more peaceful time in our country's history.
We had neighborhood stability. People looked out for each other. "Hey Marge can I borrow a cup of sugar" meant something. You helped your neighbor fix his lawn mower or helped shovel snow from his driveway.
Heck the kids would instead of today hide in their room with a video game controller, would grab shovels and ask their neighbors for 50 cents or a dollar to shovel their driveway.
Settled disputes with their fists instead of guns.
We were a much more considerate society. Gentlemen held doors open for ladies and never wore a hat indoors.
Before a man would propose to a woman, he asked her father for permission to marry his daughter.
All in all we were a much more socially solid and stable people back then.

the 1950s were the decade when old white evangelical Americ was told, the jig's up, mofos!"

wasn't illegal for a woman to be a judge or a lawyer , doctor so maybe SHE limited herself Jason . As far as blacks having poor jobs , well Detroit was pretty good for blacks getting jobs in the auto industry as I've heard that blacks moved from the south after ww2 to Detroit and other industrial cities in the north east USA . Can't argue about the black employment though as I've never looked into it . I only know that my Dad knew how to weld and one guy that my Dad described as a nice guy was also a welder and he was a black guy , both working on a railroadin the 50s and early 60s .

I love jamming this in the face of liberals. The RATE of income gains for black families was HIGHER in the pre-Civil Rights era than after. Look at how blacks closed the gap between themselves and whites between 1939 and 1949 compared to the TWO DECADE increase between 1969 and 1989.

B-Whistoricalincomedifferences_zps22152807.jpg

Which proves what?

That blacks benefited from the WWII military buildup?

Say what you want, I'll take that era over this one any day.
Of course you would – you're the typical fearful reactionary, frightened of change, diversity, and dissent.
One must admit this was a much more peaceful time in our country's history.
We had neighborhood stability. People looked out for each other. "Hey Marge can I borrow a cup of sugar" meant something. You helped your neighbor fix his lawn mower or helped shovel snow from his driveway.
Heck the kids would instead of today hide in their room with a video game controller, would grab shovels and ask their neighbors for 50 cents or a dollar to shovel their driveway.
Settled disputes with their fists instead of guns.
We were a much more considerate society. Gentlemen held doors open for ladies and never wore a hat indoors.
Before a man would propose to a woman, he asked her father for permission to marry his daughter.
All in all we were a much more socially solid and stable people back then.

Know what also existed then?

The phrase "these kids today...."

In the 50s the streets of all black Harlem were safe enough to walk after dark. Rich people went there for the restaurants and night clubs. There were fabulous jazz clubs where those who could afford it went to see Louis Armstrong and Lena Horne.

The dangerous places were Italian Irish and later Puerto Rican.

Harlem is still a great place to live

Even the Clinton's moved there
No...Bill Clinton once had an office there.
The Clinton's official residence is a mansion in Chappaqua, NY

In the 50s the streets of all black Harlem were safe enough to walk after dark. Rich people went there for the restaurants and night clubs. There were fabulous jazz clubs where those who could afford it went to see Louis Armstrong and Lena Horne.

Harlem is far from a slum today

wasn't illegal for a woman to be a judge or a lawyer , doctor so maybe SHE limited herself Jason . As far as blacks having poor jobs , well Detroit was pretty good for blacks getting jobs in the auto industry as I've heard that blacks moved from the south after ww2 to Detroit and other industrial cities in the north east USA . Can't argue about the black employment though as I've never looked into it . I only know that my Dad knew how to weld and one guy that my Dad described as a nice guy was also a welder and he was a black guy , both working on a railroadin the 50s and early 60s .

I love jamming this in the face of liberals. The RATE of income gains for black families was HIGHER in the pre-Civil Rights era than after. Look at how blacks closed the gap between themselves and whites between 1939 and 1949 compared to the TWO DECADE increase between 1969 and 1989.

Which proves what?

Not really. That went on but it's not what was driving these outcomes.

Point #1: - The greatest gains for black families occurred before the passage of the Civil Rights Act. This shouldn't be controversial. Government decrees can't make magic happen, magic only turns into reality when real world forces are brought to bear on the problem. Black living standards improved because there was a massive labor shortage for most of the period from the mid-20s to late 60s, with the Great Depression being the obvious exception. During this period blacks embarked on the 2nd Great Migration from the South to the North, only a few decades after the First Great Migration. The cause of this migration was industries in the North clamoring for workers and with immigration being severely curtailed, there were no workers. Employers were forced to hire blacks and to continually increase wages for everyone, blacks included. Look at those wage gains.

Today when Hispanics are flooding across the border this is actually a direct assault on black prosperity for blacks are being displaced from the labor force and there are very serious negative consequences for blacks which arise from this. Civil Rights legislation doesn't do jack squat to give a person a job or a raise.

The overarching point is this - results don't come from laws and decrees, they come from the conditions on the ground, from fundamental forces like labor shortages and supply and demand. If you compare the gains to black families which arose from labor shortages and no CRA to the gains which flow to blacks from having the CRA and no labor shortages, the winner is the pre-CRA labor environment. Hands down.

Which proves what?

Not really. That went on but it's not what was driving these outcomes.

Point #1: - The greatest gains for black families occurred before the passage of the Civil Rights Act. This shouldn't be controversial. Government decrees can't make magic happen, magic only turns into reality when real world forces are brought to bear on the problem. Black living standards improved because there was a massive labor shortage for most of the period from the mid-20s to late 60s, with the Great Depression being the obvious exception. During this period blacks embarked on the 2nd Great Migration from the South to the North, only a few decades after the First Great Migration. The cause of this migration was industries in the North clamoring for workers and with immigration being severely curtailed, there were no workers. Employers were forced to hire blacks and to continually increase wages for everyone, blacks included. Look at those wage gains.

Today when Hispanics are flooding across the border this is actually a direct assault on black prosperity for blacks are being displaced from the labor force and there are very serious negative consequences for blacks which arise from this. Civil Rights legislation doesn't do jack squat to give a person a job or a raise.

The overarching point is this - results don't come from laws and decrees, they come from the conditions on the ground, from fundamental forces like labor shortages and supply and demand. If you compare the gains to black families which arose from labor shortages and no CRA to the gains which flow to blacks from having the CRA and no labor shortages, the winner is the pre-CRA labor environment. Hands down.
Your own chart shows that blacks benefitted from the WWII industrial buildup, as did most Americans
Your chart also shows they were the first ones fired after the soldiers came home
Any attempt to downplay the impact of civil rights is negated by the fact that the ratio goes UP to 67% after the civil rights period

Harlem is far from a slum today

You know, sometimes it pays for you to remain silent because you always find ways of hurting your own arguments:

No Longer Majority Black, Harlem Is in Transition

But the neighborhood is in the midst of a profound and accelerating shift. In greater Harlem, which runs river to river, and from East 96th Street and West 106th Street to West 155th Street, blacks are no longer a majority of the population — a shift that actually occurred a decade ago, but was largely overlooked.

By 2008, their share had declined to 4 in 10 residents. Since 2000, central Harlem’s population has grown more than in any other decade since the 1940s, to 126,000 from 109,000, but its black population — about 77,000 in central Harlem and about twice that in greater Harlem — is smaller than at any time since the 1920s.​

Maybe each decade contributed something to the nation, some good some not quite so good. My choice would be the Forties, the Forties began to break the the corporate domination of our economic way of life. Maybe the Fifties began a more equal American way of life, and the Sixties...?

I do remember the fifties, as a boy, the era of NY center fielders: Mantle, Snider, and Mays.

You guys who actually think than anyone posts, ponders, thinks, acts or even remembers what went on in "school" are amusing.

... Which is more than anyone has ever been able to say about anything you've ever posted. :badgrin:

Aw, can't think of anything to say on the topic, mon pauvre?
Shartstop STILL butthurt over losing his RedEx Express. No more one-click trolling. :eusa_boohoo:

rofl.gif

I was born in the 60s so I have no comment on life in the 50s there was something in here about censoring comic books in the 50s I have had no interest in comic books for 40 years.

Forum List

Back