The 1950s were overrated!

You guys who actually think than anyone posts, ponders, thinks, acts or even remembers what went on in "school" are amusing.

... Which is more than anyone has ever been able to say about anything you've ever posted. :badgrin:

Aw, can't think of anything to say on the topic, mon pauvre?
Shartstop STILL butthurt over losing his RedEx Express. No more one-click trolling. :eusa_boohoo:

rofl.gif

lol!!!

I think we pine for the 1950's for the wrong reason.

People remember the 1950's as an era of unprecedented prosperity, when we still trusted government, when families were idealized Leave it to Beaver style, and before the Civil Rights Movement, Feminist Movement, Vietnam and Watergate turned our nice orderly world upside down.

Conservatives pine for these bygone days without realizing they were the product of liberal policies of progressive taxation and strong unions.

Say what you want, I'll take that era over this one any day.
Of course you would – you're the typical fearful reactionary, frightened of change, diversity, and dissent.
Umm, no that's not it at all. I think the family unit was much stronger at that time, and we didn't live in a completely decadent society like we do now. Nothing wrong with progression as long as it's an improvement. We've made great advancements in areas like medicine and technology, and we've improved the lives of many people. However, I'll take the stronger family unit, and the societal morality of that era any day over this one.

You guys who actually think than anyone posts, ponders, thinks, acts or even remembers what went on in "school" are amusing.

... Which is more than anyone has ever been able to say about anything you've ever posted. :badgrin:

Aw, can't think of anything to say on the topic, mon pauvre?
Shartstop STILL butthurt over losing his RedEx Express. No more one-click trolling. :eusa_boohoo:

rofl.gif

lol!!!
stat loves what Pogo does with that stick....

Of course you would – you're the typical fearful reactionary, frightened of change, diversity, and dissent.
Umm, no that's not it at all. I think the family unit was much stronger at that time, and we didn't live in a completely decadent society like we do now. Nothing wrong with progression as long as it's an improvement. We've made great advancements in areas like medicine and technology, and we've improved the lives of many people. However, I'll take the stronger family unit, and the societal morality of that era any day over this one.

The family structure of the 50s was not all Ozzie and Harriet

Divorce was socially unacceptable, women had four or five kids to watch and no marketable job skills. Whether it was a good marriage or not, women were stuck

Divorce was socially unacceptable, women had four or five kids to watch and no marketable job skills. Whether it was a good marriage or not, women were stuck

And your point is what exactly.... heh hheh

And your point is what exactly.... heh hheh
" I think the family unit was much stronger at that time"

So let me get this straight - you voted for Kennedy and Johnson and McGovern and Obama, but you managed to avoid Carter and Clinton. So all the destruction launched from the 1960s falls into your lap, huh? Thanks for that. Nothing like a little societal sabotage to ruin a society. I'm not sure that bypassing Carter and Clinton makes up for voting for Kennedy, and Johnson. You could have voted for Goldwater and you went with Johnson. Thanks, thanks a lot. You could have saved my human rights and instead you joined the jackboot brigades and trampled them.

Rik. You obviously have me confused with someone who gives a rat's ass about your approval or disapproval of his voting record....

It's puzzling that liberals can look to the 50s as the time when we were doing so well economically that we should return to those economic policies and then turn around and tell us how bad it was.

Black people had a thriving middle class. Women had good jobs. There just weren't a lot of women in the professions because they chose not to go into the professions.

It's puzzling that liberals can look to the 50s as the time when we were doing so well economically that we should return to those economic policies and then turn around and tell us how bad it was.

Black people had a thriving middle class. Women had good jobs. There just weren't a lot of women in the professions because they chose not to go into the professions.

Blacks had a thriving middle class because of manufacturing jobs. Those jobs are gone

Women had good jobs as teachers, nurses and secretaries but knew better than to expect more. Women did not become professionals because they were told that these jobs needed to be reserved for "breadwinners" and that they would not be hired because they would quit to have babies

Based on several posts, it's clear why one ideology wants their country back,,,,in the old days.
Yeah some things were certainly better. Wages for the working class were better. Workers actually got raises by their employer who appreciated them and those raises kept pace with inflation. Families could actually afford stat-at-home-moms. Stuff made off shore basically didn't exist and jobs weren't being shipped off shore. The Middle Class was growing and getting stronger unlike today where the US Middle Class is sinking. Crime was low. Life was certainly a lot simpler.
All these folks who think war is great are clueless. I really don't recall talking to those who served in WWII who wanted to talk about the war and their experiences. There's a good reason for that.
Minorities were treated like shit then, no "all men (women) are created equal back then.
So in a nutshell. the 50's had it's good points and it's bad points, just like every decade.

Yeah, when you're told from every corner to don't bother, you eventually "choose to" stop trying. Not unlike that part of the unemployment number that has given up looking for work, or in your term, "choose not to work".

In the '50s, this sketch would have fallen flat; wouldn't have been comedy at all. But it's entirely based on the mores of that time.

So let me get this straight - you voted for Kennedy and Johnson and McGovern and Obama, but you managed to avoid Carter and Clinton. So all the destruction launched from the 1960s falls into your lap, huh? Thanks for that. Nothing like a little societal sabotage to ruin a society. I'm not sure that bypassing Carter and Clinton makes up for voting for Kennedy, and Johnson. You could have voted for Goldwater and you went with Johnson. Thanks, thanks a lot. You could have saved my human rights and instead you joined the jackboot brigades and trampled them.

Rik. You obviously have me confused with someone who gives a rat's ass about your approval or disapproval of his voting record....

It's always good to know who had a hand in oppressing me, like those Germans after WWII who were found to be enabling war crimes. You had a chance to protect everyone's human rights and you instead sided with those who stripped the people of their Human Rights. You were right there, you could have voted for Goldwater, and you chose the side of evil.

It's always good to know who had a hand in oppressing me, like those Germans after WWII who were found to be enabling war crimes. You had a chance to protect everyone's human rights and you instead sided with those who stripped the people of their Human Rights. You were right there, you could have voted for Goldwater, and you chose the side of evil.

Ok, Rik. Got cha! I am personally responsible for everything bad that has happened to you since 1964....

In the 50s the streets of all black Harlem were safe enough to walk after dark. Rich people went there for the restaurants and night clubs. There were fabulous jazz clubs where those who could afford it went to see Louis Armstrong and Lena Horne.

The dangerous places were Italian Irish and later Puerto Rican.

Harlem is still a great place to live

Even the Clinton's moved there
No...Bill Clinton once had an office there.
The Clinton's official residence is a mansion in Chappaqua, NY
Harlem is far from a slum today

You know, sometimes it pays for you to remain silent because you always find ways of hurting your own arguments:

No Longer Majority Black, Harlem Is in Transition

But the neighborhood is in the midst of a profound and accelerating shift. In greater Harlem, which runs river to river, and from East 96th Street and West 106th Street to West 155th Street, blacks are no longer a majority of the population — a shift that actually occurred a decade ago, but was largely overlooked.

By 2008, their share had declined to 4 in 10 residents. Since 2000, central Harlem’s population has grown more than in any other decade since the 1940s, to 126,000 from 109,000, but its black population — about 77,000 in central Harlem and about twice that in greater Harlem — is smaller than at any time since the 1920s.​
The black population has declined everywhere. There are fewer african Americans today than there was in 1920. It won't be very long until they disappear completely.

Ok, Rik. Got cha! I am personally responsible for everything bad that has happened to you since 1964....

I remember when being conservative meant taking responsibility for one's own problems... before 2009 I guess it was...

Forum List

Back