The 27 cities with the best quality of life in the world

Meh, they only looked at 430 cities across the entire world.

America's "happy" cities are in the small towns that never make such list "metrics" like banking systems, hospitals, stores, and night life - all in the same city because driving 10 miles to the next town for a concert hall is just too far in their opinion.

The problem with such rankings, is that most of them are extremely subjective.

Nothing irritates me more, than a massive city. I hate massive cities.

Most people like them.... (I think....).... but I hate them. I hate massive crowds where I can't hardly walk anywhere. I hate non-stop noise that never ends. I hate flickering lights flashing in my face until the end of time.

I'll take old Hilliard, over any of those places.

old-hilliard-ohio-jack-schultz.jpg

One of the metrics was the sub-way system. I'll take this over any sub-way system.

Sports? Massive stadiums, where the cost of a ticket is a weeks wage, only to end up with a worse view of the action, than you could get with your remote at home? And pay 1/4th the cost for all the drinks you could possibly want?

The only measurement that actually mattered to me, was the crime. Crime is a big deal. It doesn't matter what any city offers, if you lose your stuff to thieves, and end up mugged on the way home.

And I love how Singapore was on there, given the way they handle crime is with a noose. You want to hang criminals, in order to catch up to Singapore, I'm all for it.

Most people like them.... (I think....).... but I hate them. I hate massive crowds where I can't hardly walk anywhere. I hate non-stop noise that never ends. I hate flickering lights flashing in my face until the end of time.

View attachment 149118
One of the metrics was the sub-way system. I'll take this over any sub-way system.

Sports? Massive stadiums, where the cost of a ticket is a weeks wage, only to end up with a worse view of the action, than you could get with your remote at home? And pay 1/4th the cost for all the drinks you could possibly want?

The only measurement that actually mattered to me, was the crime. Crime is a big deal. It doesn't matter what any city offers, if you lose your stuff to thieves, and end up mugged on the way home.

And I love how Singapore was on there, given the way they handle crime is with a noose. You want to hang criminals, in order to catch up to Singapore, I'm all for it.
Most cons approve of the death penalty.

View attachment 149118

Singapore is great. They rank at Number 8 on the corruption index, pretty impressive for Asia; the U.S. is way down at number 18. Higher numbers mean less corruption on this scale. They were as corrupt as Mexico some 70 years ago, had enough of the status quo in Asian culture and launched an anti-corruption drive, and are now one of the best places in the world for education and doing business.

The U.S. desperately needs an anti-corruption drive; or perish.

The US doesn't have any cities that are any good, that's why.

50520772.jpg
o-PRAGUE-900.jpg
Dubrovnik_-_Old_Town.jpg

You could live in one of these places, there are hundreds of them all over. Nice old towns.

Or you could live
o-CHICAGO-RIVER-facebook.jpg
Los+Angeles+Wallpapers+3.jpg
houston-skyline.jpg

Or you could live in places which aren't that great to walk around and feel comfortable.

The US has cities with crime rates that are too high, where you need to have a car, where everything's kind of stressful, or you could live somewhere else.

Having worked and/or lived as an expat (3 months or more) in most of those cities, I can offer that their appearance on that list isn't shocking.

Looking at the whole of Mercer's ranking of some 230+ cities, one sees that Boston, Honolulu, San Fran, NYC and D.C. make the top 50. That too seems fitting.

I was surprised that Monte Carlo doesn't appear on the list, but then I've only ever been there to play and the people with whom I was there aren't Monacan. I suspect any relatively safe place will seem great if all one does is watch races, eat, party and gamble. LOL

4627-1481082941-4944c1252432a3e8f07e039f7c73e047.jpg

That's the big problem with these "polls" it blows off urban beauty.

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

(Just a couple of the sites in the Municipality of Anchorage, Alaska - I keep thinking I'll get back to updating this album; going from Anchorage north to Fairbanks, then south to Seward. Some day...)

LOL Yes, well, when the flora and fauna do laundry, deliver groceries, open restaurants, service cars put on performing arts events, build roads, rail stations and airports, heal what ails one, run schools and universities, provide banking services, and more, perhaps Anchorage will move up in the rankings. LOL

View attachment 149118

Hilliard, Ohio? Man that floors me, looking good! When I left Columbus in 1981 (I had apartment off Wilson Rd just north of I-70) Hilliard was sort of a dumpy town. I'd take a date to the Franklin County Fair each year but otherwise the only thing notable was passing by the railroad yard on east edge of town. I also recall mostly small houses built on slabs. From your picture I would have expected that's a scene more in tune with Dublin or Westerville. Place seems to have grown up nicely these past 36 years.

Last edited:
That was before frau Merkel imported a million Muslims. Watch what happens now.
It must gall you that Merkel is the leader of the free world, having replaced the POTUS.

German leader, leader of the free world? Ummm, no.
Denial .. the world hates Trump.

Forum List

Back