The 27 cities with the best quality of life in the world

Singapore is great. They rank at Number 8 on the corruption index, pretty impressive for Asia; the U.S. is way down at number 18. Higher numbers mean less corruption on this scale. They were as corrupt as Mexico some 70 years ago, had enough of the status quo in Asian culture and launched an anti-corruption drive, and are now one of the best places in the world for education and doing business.

The U.S. desperately needs an anti-corruption drive; or perish.

I've been to Singapore many times as my mother is from there. While I agree it's a great place, the problem I have with it is they are very authoritarian, including elements of speech, and have extremely harsh penalties for breaking the law.

It is strange the OP'er and those like him or her have yet to answer.

It make me wonder does the OP'er believe the data that was collected for the ranking of those cities was done only after Trump became President?

If so then the OP'er should realize the fact is American Cities have never been great except maybe New York.

Cities like Chicago have been worthless for decades and crime goes up and down and it has been under Democratic leadership since I slithered out from the rock I am from, so why hasn't those like the OP'er try to fix this problem by electing leadership in the local and state governments that would help fix the inner cities that the world hate?

I know the OP'er want to blame Trump for the ranking but I know better...
I was born and raised in New York, and lived there for 30 years (Manhattan and the Bronx). I left there 40 years ago, and never regretted leaving.

Singapore is great. They rank at Number 8 on the corruption index, pretty impressive for Asia; the U.S. is way down at number 18. Higher numbers mean less corruption on this scale. They were as corrupt as Mexico some 70 years ago, had enough of the status quo in Asian culture and launched an anti-corruption drive, and are now one of the best places in the world for education and doing business.

I've been to Singapore many times as my mother is from there. While I agree it's a great place, the problem I have with it is they are very authoritarian, including elements of speech, and have extremely harsh penalties for breaking the law.

Their existential realities are very different; they could lighten up a little bit, certainly, but they don't' really have a lot of room for libertarian type experimental chaos.

It is strange the OP'er and those like him or her have yet to answer.

It make me wonder does the OP'er believe the data that was collected for the ranking of those cities was done only after Trump became President?

If so then the OP'er should realize the fact is American Cities have never been great except maybe New York.

Cities like Chicago have been worthless for decades and crime goes up and down and it has been under Democratic leadership since I slithered out from the rock I am from, so why hasn't those like the OP'er try to fix this problem by electing leadership in the local and state governments that would help fix the inner cities that the world hate?

I know the OP'er want to blame Trump for the ranking but I know better...
I was born and raised in New York, and lived there for 30 years (Manhattan and the Bronx). I left there 40 years ago, and never regretted leaving.

All kinds of stuff I would like to go through there, would take months just to go through the public library alone, but I wouldn't want to live there permanently.

4627-1481082941-4944c1252432a3e8f07e039f7c73e047.jpg

That's the big problem with these "polls" it blows off urban beauty.

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

(Just a couple of the sites in the Municipality of Anchorage, Alaska - I keep thinking I'll get back to updating this album; going from Anchorage north to Fairbanks, then south to Seward. Some day...)

LOL Yes, well, when the flora and fauna do laundry, deliver groceries, open restaurants, service cars put on performing arts events, build roads, rail stations and airports, heal what ails one, run schools and universities, provide banking services, and more, perhaps Anchorage will move up in the rankings. LOL

We have all of that except grocery delivery. (Unless you count personal assistants? We have a lot of them who do all the shopping for the wealthy retiree's)

There's no denying that Anchorage has its appeal. That it doesn't isn't why it or any other U.S. city didn't make it into the top 25 on the list.

I read the OP's source article. It lists the major criteria Mercer used. Among them one finds this: "Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)." I did, and having my extreme aversion to earthquakes and their attendant surprise-factor and risks, what comes to mind about Anchorage is this:

Earthquake Track notes that Anchorage has had:
  • 2 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
  • 9 earthquakes in the past 7 days
  • 60 earthquakes in the past 30 days
  • 846 earthquakes in the past 365 days
Alaska_earthquakes.jpg

Even when Anchorage itself isn't at or near the epicenter of a quake, it's right there on the edge of the water just waiting for a tidal wave from any of the local quakes or those arriving from quakes elsewhere on the "ring of fire."

Now for me, and I'm not with Mercer Consulting, that earth-moving-under-my-feet thing is alone enough to erode any peace of mind I might, as a resident of the place, care to have, thereby making any city exposed to as much quake risk as Anchorage to be in the bottom "whatever" of a list of the cities having the best quality of life. That along with, AFAIK, Anchorage lacking the other "world class" (or near it) amenities I demand in a city in which I'd live, there's no way I'd put Anchorage in the top 100 cities, ranked on "quality of life."

Now does that mean there's not a lot of "goodness" going on in Anchorage? No, not at all. It just means there's a lot more "goodness" going on in other cities.

Sorry slightly OT;

Alright, I gotta give you the earthquake hazard point. We have likely thousands, maybe even as much as 10K earthquakes a year - and I completely agree they're awful (I do not like quakes one bit) but I gotta say I feel maybe, maybe 1 or 2 a year. I think it's been a good 8 or 9 months since I was compelled to scamper to the doorway (which I'll admit I had my husband reinforce with an I beam when we remodeled the kitchen heh) If it's not a 6M+ it's not even worth opening your eyes for up here. After the big one in 64' (that was the second most powerful quake in recorded history at 9.2 which is the equivalent to like 64 atomic bombs! - 9.5 being the highest ever recorded [related and interesting Earthquake Energy Calculator]) the state enacted quake regulations (I mentioned it in my photo gallery too) there are no sky scrapers here and never will be; limit is 30 floors or something. Our building codes are good now, everything is built to roll with it.

Biggest shaker I can recall during my 44 years up here was an 8.6M that was down the inlet (just out past Anchorage, so like 50ish miles south, south-west.) I admit I bolted into the front yard cause it was so loud it fucked me all up (I have synesthesia, my audio is crossed up with touch so that shit almost hurt) it's like when the military flies their Apaches over the house, but 10 times worse - deep in the bones bass rumble and "thumps" and for me it was like 'boom!' hit center mass in the back. Still it didn't even do anything to the house, not even like stuff falling over or anything. I think one ornament fell off the Christmas tree - a metal one thank goodness as most of them are glass carousels I've been collecting for decades. As I recall the worst bit was that my dog peed on the floor lol (Unless you count the boys and husband razzing me to run out into the snow in my PJs again, for weeks afterwards, and every time it snowed on my "bunker" for that whole winter... grrrr)

It is obvious that we should put the entire population of Los Angeles on container ships and send them to Naples Italy.

Everyone would be happier...win/win and all that.

Yes, very Conservative.

The list is horse hockey, liberty does not make a perfect world, in fact, it may accentuate imperfections. Why do totalitarian regimes report no serial killers? Because they decide NOT to report the negative(.)

The US doesn't have any cities that are any good, that's why.

50520772.jpg
o-PRAGUE-900.jpg
Dubrovnik_-_Old_Town.jpg

You could live in one of these places, there are hundreds of them all over. Nice old towns.

Or you could live
o-CHICAGO-RIVER-facebook.jpg
Los+Angeles+Wallpapers+3.jpg
houston-skyline.jpg

Or you could live in places which aren't that great to walk around and feel comfortable.

The US has cities with crime rates that are too high, where you need to have a car, where everything's kind of stressful, or you could live somewhere else.
^ hates American cities, probably lives in one.

The problem with such rankings, is that most of them are extremely subjective.

Nothing irritates me more, than a massive city. I hate massive cities.

Most people like them.... (I think....).... but I hate them. I hate massive crowds where I can't hardly walk anywhere. I hate non-stop noise that never ends. I hate flickering lights flashing in my face until the end of time.

I'll take old Hilliard, over any of those places.

View attachment 149118
One of the metrics was the sub-way system. I'll take this over any sub-way system.

Sports? Massive stadiums, where the cost of a ticket is a weeks wage, only to end up with a worse view of the action, than you could get with your remote at home? And pay 1/4th the cost for all the drinks you could possibly want?

The only measurement that actually mattered to me, was the crime. Crime is a big deal. It doesn't matter what any city offers, if you lose your stuff to thieves, and end up mugged on the way home.

And I love how Singapore was on there, given the way they handle crime is with a noose. You want to hang criminals, in order to catch up to Singapore, I'm all for it.

You hate non-stop noise that never ends? How would you hate non-stop noise if it stopped, which it cannot?

Forum List

Back