The American Middle Class, a Century ago

Ice29

Mar 11, 2016
I got some dummy trying to tell me that Bernie Sanders's ideas today, was how it was in the early 1900s and that built the middle class somehow.

First of all that's not true...The middle class existed back then because of these conditions.

1. The way we did things in the early 1900s is far, far, far, undisputedly cheaper and less expensive than the way that we do them today.

2 In the early 1900s, the regulations that exist today, didn't exist back then, there was very few of the laws back then, that are here today, in regards to Business.

3. The Demographics of the USA in the early 1900s was from Educated Western Europe, not from every rat hole in the world that grows Bananas and has Kids making Kids, with a Median age in the Teens.

4. We had less than 30 % of the population back then, than what we have today.

5. In the early 1900s, if you didn't shut the f)uck up and obey the school teacher, you got your pants pulled down and you got your a)ss paddled and made to wear a Dunce cap and when you got home, your a)ss got paddled again.

6. There was no high crime ghettos in America a hundred years ago, and when you got convicted of something, the fat lady sang.

7. There was nowhere near the strain on the social structure back then than what exists today, because back then people knew to act....
Behaviorally, the people back then in the BIG CITY... was somewhere in the neighborhood of how people in the suburbs act today.... only they were much more generous back then because the dangers of generosity didn't exist back then.

8. Back then, when somebody gave you a Job, you took it, period... and you didn't go "boo hoo I don't like the idea of the job you're offering me"

9. When you turned 18, if you were male, you went in the Military.

It doesn't matter what policies you make, its not possible to make the middle class like YOU THINK it was, a hundred years ago in America, working with this today.

Of Course back then life wasn't all a Bed of Roses either.

Back then, you didn't have the civil rights that you have today, society back then didn't work that way... just sitting there right where you are now, doing what seems to be nothing... would in fact be a crime back then, IF you were not in the Military when you were supposed to be.

Back then we didn't have automation...
Everything that you needed to do, YOU had to do, there was nothing in the world that was going to do anything for you.

The working conditions back then were tough, if not unbearable.
Also, as I said, the regulations of today didn't exist back then.... and so quite a number of people suffered a lot, from ALL causes.

And the Concept that racism was wrong, was an ideal that was fairly limited to the Northeastern, Millionaire upper class with a college degree (back then almost nobody had one)... and had experience in other countries...
Back then not even the Politicians met those standards.
We're talking maybe 10 people out of 10,000 or 20,000

And that was also Pre-World War 2 where dictatorships and a lack of education throughout Europe was Commonplace.

Last edited:
Your view of the past was kind of laughable.

Let's review, shall we?

3. The Demographics of the USA in the early 1900s was from Educated Western Europe, not from every rat hole in the world that grows Bananas and has Kids making Kids, with a Median age in the Teens.

Actually, back in the 1900, the White, Anglo population was absolutely horrified that these Catholic people were coming over form Ireland,Poland and Italy. And they used a lot of the same kind of scare language that you'd hear from a Trump-Nazi today.

6. There was no high crime ghettos in America a hundred years ago, and when you got convicted of something, the fat lady sang.

Actually, Crime was more rampant then than it is now. Nor did they lock up as high a percentage of our citizens as we do today.

8. Back then, when somebody gave you a Job, you took it, period... and you didn't go "boo hoo I don't like the idea of the job you're offering me"

Right, that 12 year old who worked in a textile mill took the job and damned well liked it!

ChildLabor.png

Aww, what cute little scamps!!!!

Um, not really. In fact, prior to World War I, the military was really kind of small. It was also small between the World Wars. There was a big demand for conscription DURING the World Wars, but even then, not as universal as you think. Of 40 million men who were eligible to be drafted, only 16 million were.

After World War II, draft evasion became an art form. Poor kids went to Vietnam, rich kids went to college.

What a totally fabricated view of what early 20th century America was like

Not worth a serious response

Let's review, shall we?

Actually, back in the 1900, the White, Anglo population was absolutely horrified that these Catholic people were coming over form Ireland,Poland and Italy. And they used a lot of the same kind of scare language that you'd hear from a Trump-Nazi today.

Actually, Crime was more rampant then than it is now. Nor did they lock up as high a percentage of our citizens as we do today.

Right, that 12 year old who worked in a textile mill took the job and damned well liked it!

ChildLabor.png

Um, not really. In fact, prior to World War I, the military was really kind of small. It was also small between the World Wars. There was a big demand for conscription DURING the World Wars, but even then, not as universal as you think. Of 40 million men who were eligible to be drafted, only 16 million were.

After World War II, draft evasion became an art form. Poor kids went to Vietnam, rich kids went to college.

You mean Chicago had 2,000 murders a year and murderers got away with it ?
lol

Let's review, shall we?

ChildLabor.png

lol
You mean the Chicago of Al Capone?

Afro Americans were very much criminals then as they are today. And they got away more. Now with fingerprints, photo databases, etc., they are more likely brought to justice. Though jewish judges will let them back on the streets whenever possible even after all the hard work in capturing them.

Let's review, shall we?

ChildLabor.png

lol

Al Capone was in jail for longer than he was ever free.
He was in Alcatraz... a prison that wouldn't even be allowed to exist today.

Let's review, shall we?

ChildLabor.png

lol

Do you ever make an actual correct statement in this thread?

Let's review, shall we?

ChildLabor.png

lol

From what I heard from very old people that I talked to when I was a kid, and from people's artwork from back then and depictions of back then... yes.

Let's review, shall we?

ChildLabor.png

lol

From what I heard from very old people that I talked to when I was a kid, and from people's artwork from back then and depictions of back then... yes.
May I suggest.......books?

And yet who among us would gladly and willingly trade their miserable present day existence for yesteryear's utopia?

lol

How do you suggest we lower the crime rate, while not giving up the safety of having laws ?

And yet who among us would gladly and willingly trade their miserable present day existence for yesteryear's utopia?

First of all yesteryear wasn't a utopia.... Today's technology didn't exist, you had to physically do everything, and what technology did exist was both in its infancy, was fairly junky, not very reliable, and was hard to operate and maintain.

Also the attitudes of the people towards other people different than themselves was what you call.... less than welcome.

And the concept of "racism" was in its bare infancy, in a very handpicked, select groups of high socioeconomic people with worldly experience outside of the USA, which wasn't at all easy to come by back then.
The concept of "racism" didn't exist at all on the streets.... hate was normal, towards those that were different from themselves.

Second of all, I wouldn't expect that anybody would.

How do you suggest we lower the crime rate, while not giving up the safety of having laws ?
First of all....give up our failed war on drugs

So in other words, just allow the crime right, and go back to the way that you say it was in 1915 right ?
Why would I be in an environment that is supposedly hundreds of times worse per the population ?

So in other words, just allow the crime right, and go back to the way that you say it was in 1915 right ?
Why would I be in an environment that is supposedly hundreds of times worse per the population ?
Nope......just apply the edict of no harm, no foul

You want to do drugs? it's your problem
Someone sells you drugs? Not my problem

Nope......just apply the edict of no harm, no foul

You want to do drugs? it's your problem
Someone sells you drugs? Not my problem

How about you want to kill somebody, its your problem.
Somebody kills you, its your problem ?

You cant fuck with the brain without consequences.

Forum List

Back