The American Military occupation of Germany

There is no military occupation of Germany. Germans are one of our closest allies, and are considered friends. U.S. military bases there provide employment for many German citizens. (many of whom are civilians). They also conduct joint military exercises together. The U.S. military bases do provide the U.S. with a strategic location to ensure overall well being of specific interests within the area.
Sounds like a twisted version of a welfare program to me.
Well, we do need those bases to ensure well being of interests we have in the region. At the same time, the military bases require civilian employees, so the local folks in Germany are hired for these jobs. Everyone's happy.
Like I said, a twisted form of welfare.

You don't believe that it's the American military's role to prop up the economies of other countries, do you?

Sounds like a twisted version of a welfare program to me.
Well, we do need those bases to ensure well being of interests we have in the region. At the same time, the military bases require civilian employees, so the local folks in Germany are hired for these jobs. Everyone's happy.

You don't believe that it's the American military's role to prop up the economies of other countries, do you?
Of course not, if that were the case, I'd pack up and move the bases out. However those bases are required, and they also require staff/manpower to function. The most feasible option is to hire local civilians there.

Of course not, if that were the case, I'd pack up and move the bases out. However those bases are required, and they also require staff/manpower to function. The most feasible option is to hire local civilians there.
No, they're not required.

The nations of Europe can pay for their own national defense and build their own economies.

When I was stationed in Germany we had 350,000 troops there. It was not an occupation force. It was a deterrent against the Russians and we had absolutely no say pertaining to German laws. Now we have 53,000 troops there. Time to bring them home.

Occupation, Germans should be thankful a country called Germany even exist. Could of, maybe should have been busted into a dozen little countries with a 100 years of foriegn oversite and control. Occupation for a short duration was more than they deserved.

The country should have been CRUSHED, forever. It should have been reduced to a permanently-impoverished, de-industrialized occupied territory for a century or more.

Occupation, Germans should be thankful a country called Germany even exist. Could of, maybe should have been busted into a dozen little countries with a 100 years of foriegn oversite and control. Occupation for a short duration was more than they deserved.

The country should have been CRUSHED, forever. It should have been reduced to a permanently-impoverished, de-industrialized occupied territory for a century or more.
Because that worked out so well the first time it was tried. :rolleyes:

The nations of Europe can pay for their own national defense and build their own economies.
Part of the deal with our military bases in Germany is to fulfill our NATO alliance obligations. We also need strategic bases in various countries around the globe in order to have the ability to deploy quickly in a specific area. For instance, if we had to target an Al-Qaeda terrorist quickly, chances are that he would be in a region that would require deployment from one of our foreign military bases.

We tried that. It led to WWI and WWII. We didn't trust them to hold the line against the Soviets during the Cold War. We took and held control and it worked. Now we have brought our presence down. Our military presence in Germany is a convenience to our worldwide military operations. Russia is still a possible threat to some of our allies and friends in the area. We need a stratigic presence in Europe. Germany is our choice. We earned the right to be there.

We tried that. It led to WWI and WWII. We didn't trust them to hold the line against the Soviets during the Cold War. We took and held control and it worked. Now we have brought our presence down. Our military presence in Germany is a convenience to our worldwide military operations. Russia is still a possible threat to some of our allies and friends in the area. We need a stratigic presence in Europe. Germany is our choice. We earned the right to be there.
No, the meddling of Wilson in WWI ultimately led to WWII.

The wars were won. Time to come home.

Part of the deal with our military bases in Germany is to fulfill our NATO alliance obligations. We also need strategic bases in various countries around the globe in order to have the ability to deploy quickly in a specific area. For instance, if we had to target an Al-Qaeda terrorist quickly, chances are that he would be in a region that would require deployment from one of our foreign military bases.
Let the Europeans defend their own dirt with their own alliances. Let them pay for the UN too.

We can't afford it anymore.

We didn't occupy and hold control after WWI. If we had WWII would have never occured. We learned from our mistake.

Let the Europeans defend their own dirt with their own alliances. Let them pay for the UN too.

We can't afford it anymore.

they can't afford it anymore either.....which is why their military spending keeps on decreasing....they depend on America...

America will continue to be the greatest force around for awhile yet....but we do need to become more strategically and financially choosy....

How would Europe look after 60 years of Nazi rule? What Europe?

So if we left those evil Nazis would take over? Is that the justification?

I have heard some absurd explanations so far. One to protect them from the USSR(which doesn't exist anymore). Two to punish Germans for the "sins" of some of their ancestors. Now third, to suppress a potential Nazi takeover, lol.

All reasons are equally absurd.

Americans need to be out of the affairs of other nations. How would we like foreign military bases in our country?

Last edited:

We didn't occupy and hold control after WWI. If we had WWII would have never occured. We learned from our mistake.
If the unnecessarily onerous and burdensome sanctions weren't placed upon Germany in the Treaty of Versailles, it's highly improbable that a fiend like Hitler could have seized power.

Nothing was learned from the mistake.

If the unnecessarily onerous and burdensome sanctions weren't placed upon Germany in the Treaty of Versailles, it's highly improbable that a fiend like Hitler could have seized power.

appeasers never seem to learn...:eusa_hand:

Minding your own business isn't appeasement.

You do realize that military interventionism is a hard core leftist progressive policy, don't you?

You do realize that military interventionism is a hard core leftist progressive policy, don't you?

have we militarily intervened with Iran.....?

How do you believe it came to pass that F-14 Tomcats flew these colors?

iran-air-force-f14tomcat.jpg

Last edited:

have we militarily intervened with Iran.....?
Yes.

How do you think that the Shah stayed propped up for all the years he did?

Some say the Ayatollah Khomeni was brought in by the CIA and MI5 because the Shah was getting too big of a head and wanted to make Iran an independent world power instead of a puppet. Wouldn't be a surprise.

Forum List

Back