The Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Should a city deny a business license due to a 'wrong' political/social stance?

• Yes, I can see a justification for that.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No,I can't see a justification for that.

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
Fags kissing is a freak show that can be a little entertaining, in a car-wreck sort of way.

It's good to see an honest "conservative" in this thread.

For reference two guys kissing skeeves most hetero men.

I think the men that it bothers have a lot of problems with their sexuality when they make such obnoxious displays of disgust when two guys kiss. Sort of to reinforce to the world extra loud that they are not gay as if people might somehow think they were lying if they just shrugged it off.

Many men could care less. We're confident in our sexuality. We're not so fucking squeamish and definitely not sissies to be squealing like little piggies when two dudes kiss.

Grow a pair.

And some of us consider making out in a public restaurant in front of kids is a pretty rude way of making a statement no matter who they are. As is those who can't seem to grasp the point of the OP or the request of the civility requested in it.

And some of us consider making out in a public restaurant in front of kids is a pretty rude way of making a statement no matter who they are. As is those who can't seem to grasp the point of the OP or the request of the civility requested in it.

Yeah. As Americans we're much more comfortable with our kids watching people get murdered or violently afflicted compared to seeing a little bit of human sexuality.

God Bless America.

I think I can speak for most normal people and say that NO ONE condones violence in a public place either. Sheez.

Actual violence, of course not. But we're such a prude nation when it comes to entertainment. We'd rather little billy see the Joker slam a guy's head into a pencil than have him hear a bad word or see some sexy curves which probably mean absolutely nothing to him at that age.

NYC mayor: Chick-fil-A flap not govt's business | Fox News

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

Discuss and please try to keep it civil and on topic.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

I can't see denying business licenses based upon political stances. I do think it is stupid for a business to take positions like these though. Why ostracize potential patrons of your business?

If Chik-Fil-A wants to promote homophobia, go ahead. If people want to protest or boycott Chik-Fil-A for their views, that's fine too.

The business didn't take a political stance. The ceo, in response to a question, said he was a Christian, and that he supported traditional Christian values.

And they weren't going to be denied a business license based on their political stance, but upon their RELIGION. A business owner dared to admit to being Christian, and progressives don't like that.

Sky would like to prevent teachers from teaching if they dare to openly adhere to their faith...and she went through a stage a while back where she proposed that anyone who took their kids to church have their children taken from them.

I think I can speak for most normal people and say that NO ONE condones violence in a public place either. Sheez.

That is what those in polite society would have called a HUGE straw man disguised as a bright red herring. :)

Mayors of three cities--Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco--are on record that Chick-Fil-A franchises are not welcome in their cities because of Chick-Fil-A's support of traditional marriage and opposition to same sex marriage. Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is a strong advocate of same sex marriage but opposes restrictions on free enterprise based on political views.

The ACLU has gotten involved and though they too are strong advocates of same sex marriage, they oppose denying franchise privileges to Chick-Fil-A based on this issue. As they point out, if you can deny a business the right to do business based on their anti-gay marriage position, then there is nothing to deny a business the right to do business if it is pro same sex marriage.

This is NOT about the pros and cons of same sex marriage, but rather the concept of denying a business ability to do business based purely on its social or political views.

I can't see denying business licenses based upon political stances. I do think it is stupid for a business to take positions like these though. Why ostracize potential patrons of your business?

If Chik-Fil-A wants to promote homophobia, go ahead. If people want to protest or boycott Chik-Fil-A for their views, that's fine too.

I can't find any case that Chick-fil-a has EVER promoted anything other their their own religious views. They seem to have a uniform and rigidly followed policy to discriminate against nobody, to treat everybody with courtesy and respect, and have not suggested that anybody else should not be allowed to do their legal activity no matter what anybody else teaches, preaches, or whatever.

I have no problem with anybody choosing who they will or will not patronize for whatever reason they choose where to do business. My husband refuses to do business with a certain business here in town because he thinks their television commercials are stupid. I choose to shop at businesses that allow Salvation Army kettles on their premises during the Christmas season and choose not to do business with those who don't.

But I would not presume to tell anybody what they are expected to do to put in their ads or what they must do regarding charity during the Christmas season. And I would strenuously oppose anybody trying to deny people a business license or disrupt their business just because they don't want to support the Salvation Army.

And I would never stand by silently if anybody picketed a gay bar or chuch or tried to disrupt them purely because they made anti-Christian statements or actively spoke against traditional marriage.

He who refuses to be tolerant toward other people's point of view is hardly in a position to expect others to be tolerant toward his.

That is what those in polite society would have called a HUGE straw man disguised as a bright red herring. :)

If anything inspires violence, it is the Chicken Sammich vs. Hamburger Controversy.

:mad:

Clearly, the subject deserves more attention among our Congress!!!

I can't find any case that Chick-fil-a has EVER promoted anything other their their own religious views. They seem to have a uniform and rigidly followed policy to discriminate against nobody, to treat everybody with courtesy and respect, and have not suggested that anybody else should not be allowed to do their legal activity no matter what anybody else teaches, preaches, or whatever.

I have no problem with anybody choosing who they will or will not patronize for whatever reason they choose where to do business. My husband refuses to do business with a certain business here in town because he thinks their television commercials are stupid. I choose to shop at businesses that allow Salvation Army kettles on their premises during the Christmas season and choose not to do business with those who don't.

But I would not presume to tell anybody what they are expected to do to put in their ads or what they must do regarding charity during the Christmas season. And I would strenuously oppose anybody trying to deny people a business license or disrupt their business just because they don't want to support the Salvation Army.

And I would never stand by silently if anybody picketed a gay bar or chuch or tried to disrupt them purely because they made anti-Christian statements or actively spoke against traditional marriage.

He who refuses to be tolerant toward other people's point of view is hardly in a position to expect others to be tolerant toward his.
What has created all of this mess to date, is governments intolerance towards the constitution, and the rights of Christians to be Americans with full rights anylonger, and the government is also outwardly operating against anything Godly or Christ like to be represented in America by them, and this even though the voters by a huge majority never agreed for them to act in these ways, or to use their offices in these ways or be this way period when voting them into office. They have been led by the few against the majority who had put them into office, thus constituting a major crisis in America from doing so. They should be immediately fired, and the majority should vote in their replacements immediately. No corporate management could remain standing if they had done this sort of thing against the wishes of it's shareholders, so why is government any different ? The nation needs answers, and it needs them to come this November in the form of being right and not so wrong this time when casting their vote.

Last edited:

You want to try again in English? Or was that uncivil of me?

He's saying the fags are assholes for making out in front of kids. FYI, Chick-Fil-A caters to children.

He's saying the fags are assholes for making out in front of kids. FYI, Chick-Fil-A caters to children.

Interesting. So does Cathy. :eusa_eh:

Interesting. So does Cathy. :eusa_eh:
Want to clarify your statement or give us the meaning of this statement thank you very much ? Is this all you got now ravi ? Come on, you can do better than this can't you ?

No, they just say that in their esteemed Christian opinion, marriage is between a man and a woman.

Exactly. If you or I don't like it we don't give them any business, that is the American way. We may also use the first ammendment to express our dislike of said position, that is also ok.

However, we can't have govt officials stop them from opening shop or threatening to make it difficult if they do just because we might disagree with their view on marriage, that is fascism.

Yes, and I was probably damn near the first person on the board to say so.

Well good for you (i was going to rep you but you are banned)

Forum List

Back