The customer said "What's that got to do with me?"

/---/ My friend grew up in Ireland and talked about the MG and Triumph plants the GB. He said any sunny, warm Friday afternoon, the workers would call a strike, shut down the plant then head off to the Pubs.

Back in Columbus, Ohio I had a friend who against our warnings bought a brand new 1977 MG MGB. It seemed to only run on sunny, warm afternoons. :badgrin:

/---/ My friend grew up in Ireland and talked about the MG and Triumph plants the GB. He said any sunny, warm Friday afternoon, the workers would call a strike, shut down the plant then head off to the Pubs.

Back in Columbus, Ohio I had a friend who against our warnings bought a brand new 1977 MG MGB. It seemed to only run on sunny, warm afternoons. :badgrin:
/----/ In 1965 my older brother bought an Austin Healey Mark 3000 convertible. The first time he drove it in the rain, the top leaked. He took it back to the AH dealer and was told. "Don't drive it in the rain."

Attachments

• 1234.jpeg
    1234.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 36

/----/ In 1965 my older brother bought an Austin Healey Mark 3000 convertible. The first time he drove it in the rain, the top leaked. He took it back to the AH dealer and was told. "Don't drive it in the rain."

Quality of automobiles beginning in the mid 60's, and reaching unimaginable inferior quality in the 1970's.
It was common for cars in the 70's to give out mechanically or fall apart in a rust pile in as little as 5 years for some models.
I use to flip homes in the 90's, and have owned a number of rental properties. I learned very early on not to buy homes built in the 70's. Common to see indoor plywood used as roof decking, galvanized steel plumbing, aluminum wiring, shoddy electrical panels and plywood flooring.
The 1970's was a QC nightmare.

With American made cars, it's a hit or miss thing. I had a T-Bird that was great, but that was back in the early 90s.

As a person who made many deliveries to UAW plants, I can tell you those workers were worthless. In fact their "I don't give a shit" attitude had to do with the crummy cars they made.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

In high school (Avon Lake) I heard rumor about workers sabotaging the Ford plant in Lorain where at the time they were assembling the Torino. Story was that after so many hours working a shift if the line went down the workers were sent home with a full shift's pay. Rumor had it that it was commonplace for the line to crash each Friday just after it hit that time to be off-early-to-the-bar mark.

Ford shut the plant down ages ago.
Bizz Skule Diploma Dumbos

Snobs blame the working class for failures, while their precious Sissies in Suitcoats parasites get all the credit for successes.

With American made cars, it's a hit or miss thing. I had a T-Bird that was great, but that was back in the early 90s.

As a person who made many deliveries to UAW plants, I can tell you those workers were worthless. In fact their "I don't give a shit" attitude had to do with the crummy cars they made.

In high school (Avon Lake) I heard rumor about workers sabotaging the Ford plant in Lorain where at the time they were assembling the Torino. Story was that after so many hours working a shift if the line went down the workers were sent home with a full shift's pay. Rumor had it that it was commonplace for the line to crash each Friday just after it hit that time to be off-early-to-the-bar mark.

Snobs blame the working class for failures, while their precious Sissies in Suitcoats parasites get all the credit for successes.
/----/ Actually there is plenty of blame to go around from the executives who decided to build cheap crap to the assembly workers who cut corners.

/----/ Actually there is plenty of blame to go around from the executives who decided to build cheap crap to the assembly workers who cut corners.
Management by Imagination

Conceited Bizz School bootlickers are too lazy and snobbish to leave their sheltered offices and go out to the ground floor to see what is going on.

Conceited Bizz School bootlickers are too lazy and snobbish to leave their sheltered offices and go out to the ground floor to see what is going on.
/----/ That's a blanket statement. I'm sure it goes on but there are actually "Bizz School" grads like me who like to see what is going on since I'll be held responsible. Plus I want to do the best I can.

/----/ I had a used1965 MG midget that ran all year long, never a problem. I learned how to maintain it as designed for weekend mechanics. Unlike American cars that were designed to be driven hard and neglected.

/----/ I had a used1965 MG midget that ran all year long, never a problem. I learned how to maintain it as designed for weekend mechanics. Unlike American cars that were designed to be driven hard and neglected.

My friend's MG just wouldn't start on cold winter days. We had a lot of fun at his expense

I didn't notice the decline in American cars until 1970. My dad got a new company car ever other year throughout the 60's. He'd have 120,000 miles by time he turned them in. Pontiac Catalina's at the time when DeLorean was in charge at Pontiac. Great cars. Then in 1970 they switched to Impalas and also new federal regulations started to kick in, seemed everything went to hell in the 70's.

My friend's MG just wouldn't start on cold winter days. We had a lot of fun at his expense

I didn't notice the decline in American cars until 1970. My dad got a new company car ever other year throughout the 60's. He'd have 120,000 miles by time he turned them in. Pontiac Catalina's at the time when DeLorean was in charge at Pontiac. Great cars. Then in 1970 they switched to Impalas and also new federal regulations started to kick in, seemed everything went to hell in the 70's.
/----/ My MG had a manual choke and always was an easy start in cold weather. I believe the choke that had to be lubricated or adjusted periodically as memory serves. I found this forum that discusses the issue. Apparently some used a squirt of ether (Quick start) but that would harm the engine over time.
cold weather starting : MGB & GT Forum : MG Experience Forums : The MG Experience
1234.jpg

Many years ago, I worked as a consumer electronics tech and it was understood that a certain percentage of parts would be faulty and break down quickly, or never work at all. Probably everyone has seen a TV fail to turn on when the switch was turned. Or an air conditioner fail to start up, when turned on. And, every tech seems to have had the experience of installing a brand new part, and still having the original problem when the device was turned on. Then, after some frustrating trouble-shooting it would turn out that the “new” part was defective. It could be maddening.

Also, some parts are under high stress at certain times and some parts will fail at those times. To build a device with truly high quality parts would probably result in a price most consumers would never be willing to pay. Maybe it’s just a matter of trade-offs. Somewhat lower quality parts, for a lower end price.

Many years ago, I worked as a consumer electronics tech and it was understood that a certain percentage of parts would be faulty and break down quickly, or never work at all. Probably everyone has seen a TV fail to turn on when the switch was turned. Or an air conditioner fail to start up, when turned on. And, every tech seems to have had the experience of installing a brand new part, and still having the original problem when the device was turned on. Then, after some frustrating trouble-shooting it would turn out that the “new” part was defective. It could be maddening.

Also, some parts are under high stress at certain times and some parts will fail at those times. To build a device with truly high quality parts would probably result in a price most consumers would never be willing to pay. Maybe it’s just a matter of trade-offs. Somewhat lower quality parts, for a lower end price.
/---/ The exact thing happened to our new GE fridge. The Tech replaced the same part three times until he got a bulletin that the factory had built it with an incorrect part. Fourth service call and he installed the correct one, trouble free for two years now. I wonder how much GE lost on that model.

/----/ That's a blanket statement. I'm sure it goes on but there are actually "Bizz School" grads like me who like to see what is going on since I'll be held responsible. Plus I want to do the best I can.
OJT > MBA

Seeing "what is going on" is impossible if you haven't been there, done that. The most effective Business School would be starting at the ground-floor bottom and working your way all the way up to the executive suites. Also, though these thoughts are suppressed, "Earn While You Learn" motivates more than being an unpaid student (which makes him an amateur and a wannabe). Besides, our forced isolated, non-specific, and theoretical university training is a poor substitute for the traditional self-taught method of advancement. And it gives white collars a false sense of superiority over blue-collar knowledge.

Forum List

Back