The death of Thanksgiving?

Will you shop on Thanksgiviong Day

• Total voters
Thanksgiving is cut short this year by almost a week.
Last year Thanksgiving was on Nov. 22.
This year it's on Nov. 28.
So yes in this case.
Businesses are cut short by almost a week, yes that cuts deeply into profits, especially in a slow economy like we are in now.
It's about businesses survival.
Nothing wrong with Family celebrating the Holiday and later going out to get good bargains for Christmas.
Shopping by consumers is also cut short this year.

How does a shorter Christmas season cut into profits?

If I have $1000 to spend on ten people for Christmas I am going to spend that money whether the shopping period is three or four weeks
If there is extra time to shop, I don't spend more money

A one day jump ahead of black Friday sales helps in sales.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, November 29 2013, and the busiest shopping day of the year. It kicks off the critical holiday season, where retailers make between 20%-40% of their annual revenue.

Last year set a record, as 89 million people either went to stores or shopped online, up from 85 million in 2011. During the three-day Black Friday weekend, 247 million people shopped, more than the 226 million the year before. Surprisingly, 35 million shopped on Thanksgiving Day itself, up from the 29 million who did so in 2011.
On average, each shopper burned through a record $423, more than the $398 he or she spent in 2011. In total, they spent $59.1 billion, up from the $52.4 billion spent in 2011, and 16% more than Black Friday 2010.

Still doesn't answer my question
If stores make 20-40% of their revenue on Black Friday, they will make that money whether it is a three or four week shopping season. There is still a day after Thanksgiving

If I have ten people on my Christmas shopping list, I will buy ten presents regardless of how many days are between Thanksgiving and Christmas

Apparently, some people think thanksgiving is a religious holiday.

Weird.

Who were the pilgrims thanking?

Edited to add -

They were not celebrating the holiday we call "thanksgiving". Sorry but its just not a religious holiday.

Congress Establishes Thanksgiving

On September 28, 1789, just before leaving for recess, the first Federal Congress passed a resolution asking that the President of the United States recommend to the nation a day of thanksgiving. A few days later, President George Washington issued a proclamation naming Thursday, November 26, 1789 as a "Day of Publick Thanksgivin" - the first time Thanksgiving was celebrated under the new Constitution. Subsequent presidents issued Thanksgiving Proclamations, but the dates and even months of the celebrations varied. It wasn't until President Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Proclamation that Thanksgiving was regularly commemorated each year on the last Thursday of November.

Well, I never said it was a religious holiday. They were celebrating the harvest, but they were thanking God. They lived in a time and culture wherein God was held responsible for everything that happened. The pilgrims were very strongly religious and believed God's presence was always there and he directed everything that happened. They thanked God for everything and prayed for his assistance in everything and begged his forgiveness when they were weak and felt they might be being punished by a bad harvest or deaths, etc. But it was never a formal religious holiday. In fact, celebrating the harvest goes back to the beginning of civilization and in early European times was a Pagan ritual. So, Thanksgiving is a combination of Pagan rites and a Christian belief in an all powerful God.

Last edited:
"...Thanksgiving did not become a holiday until Abraham Lincoln declared it so on October 3, 1863. It was not Thanks with any religious meaning but political. It was Thanks that the Union was preserved."
Thanks to whom?

Actually, I think it had some vague and generic 'religious meaning' but it was strictly non-denominational in nature and directed primarily at 'persons of faith', whom, back then, unquestionably and decisively dominated the population and the political scene during wartime.

As a religious people, the Union victory was an act of God, so they gave Thanks to the Lord. Judging from what democrats have done to the Union since 1863, the preservation of the Union isn't exactly something to be Thankful for any longer.

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Aside from making a phone call to my son and sending out a few e-mails, I normally work and it's just another day. I really don't celebrate any holidays. If I have work to do, I do it. Going shopping might be a welcome break if the stores aren't too crowded.
Hmmmmm... Is it possible that the two 'sides' to this discussion (don't shop, OK to shop) are largely (if steretypically) subdivided into (1) people who have large families and celebrate a communal meal and time together (voting 'don't shop') and (2) people who don't have that to look forward to (voting 'OK to shop')?

Thanks to whom?

Actually, I think it had some vague and generic 'religious meaning' but it was strictly non-denominational in nature and directed primarily at 'persons of faith', whom, back then, unquestionably and decisively dominated the population and the political scene during wartime.

As a religious people, the Union victory was an act of God, so they gave Thanks to the Lord. Judging from what democrats have done to the Union since 1863, the preservation of the Union isn't exactly something to be Thankful for any longer.

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Aside from making a phone call to my son and sending out a few e-mails, I normally work and it's just another day. I really don't celebrate any holidays. If I have work to do, I do it. Going shopping might be a welcome break if the stores aren't too crowded.
Hmmmmm... Is it possible that the two 'sides' to this discussion (don't shop, OK to shop) are largely (if steretypically) subdivided into (1) people who have large families and celebrate a communal meal and time together (voting 'don't shop') and (2) people who don't have that to look forward to (voting 'OK to shop')?

When I was in college, all us single folks would get together for Thanksgiving and have a wonderful time. Some had a boyfriend/girlfriend to bring along, some were married, but all were young people living away from family. One who had a big enough house/apartment would host and cook the bird, the others would bring a dish. It was great. Because people came from all over the US, I experienced variations Thanksgiving side dishes and desserts from around the country. We cooked, drank, played music, talked endlessly, and had a great time. No one sat in front of the TV watching football. Everyone participated like a big, extended family. You don't need to be near or even on friendly terms with your family or to even have a family to experience a great Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Edited to add -

They were not celebrating the holiday we call "thanksgiving". Sorry but its just not a religious holiday.

On September 28, 1789, just before leaving for recess, the first Federal Congress passed a resolution asking that the President of the United States recommend to the nation a day of thanksgiving. A few days later, President George Washington issued a proclamation naming Thursday, November 26, 1789 as a "Day of Publick Thanksgivin" - the first time Thanksgiving was celebrated under the new Constitution. Subsequent presidents issued Thanksgiving Proclamations, but the dates and even months of the celebrations varied. It wasn't until President Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Proclamation that Thanksgiving was regularly commemorated each year on the last Thursday of November.

Well, I never said it was a religious holiday. They were celebrating the harvest, but they were thanking God. They lived in a time and culture wherein God was held responsible for everything that happened. The pilgrims were very strongly religious and believed God's presence was always there and he directed everything that happened. They thanked God for everything and prayed for his assistance in everything and begged his forgiveness when they were weak and felt they might be being punished by a bad harvest or deaths, etc. But it was never a formal religious holiday. In fact, celebrating the harvest goes back to the beginning of civilization and in early European times was a Pagan ritual. So, Thanksgiving is a combination of Pagan rites and a Christian belief in an all powerful God.

President George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation was about giving thanks to God and protecting us as a Nation.
It had nothing to do with Harvest.

George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.
George Washingtion

Last edited:
Edited to add -

President George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation was about giving thanks to God and protecting us as a Nation.
It had nothing to do with Harvest.

George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.
George Washingtion

The original Thanksgiving had to do with the harvest. That is why it is in the fall. The proclamation came later, 168 years later. I posted this earlier in the thread. I guess you missed it. The site is affiliated with the Smithsonian:
In 1621, when their labors were rewarded with a bountiful harvest after a year of sickness and scarcity, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God and celebrated His bounty in the Harvest Home tradition with feasting and sport (recreation). To these people of strong Christian faith, this was not merely a revel; it was also a joyous outpouring of gratitude.

The arrival of the Pilgrims and Puritans brought new Thanksgiving traditions to the American scene. Today’s national Thanksgiving celebration is a blend of two traditions: the New England custom of rejoicing after a successful harvest, based on ancient English harvest festivals; and the Puritan Thanksgiving, a solemn religious observance combining prayer and feasting.
http://www.plimoth.org/learn/MRL/rea...giving-history

Last edited:
How does a shorter Christmas season cut into profits?

If I have $1000 to spend on ten people for Christmas I am going to spend that money whether the shopping period is three or four weeks
If there is extra time to shop, I don't spend more money

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, November 29 2013, and the busiest shopping day of the year. It kicks off the critical holiday season, where retailers make between 20%-40% of their annual revenue.

Last year set a record, as 89 million people either went to stores or shopped online, up from 85 million in 2011. During the three-day Black Friday weekend, 247 million people shopped, more than the 226 million the year before. Surprisingly, 35 million shopped on Thanksgiving Day itself, up from the 29 million who did so in 2011.
On average, each shopper burned through a record $423, more than the $398 he or she spent in 2011. In total, they spent $59.1 billion, up from the $52.4 billion spent in 2011, and 16% more than Black Friday 2010.

If stores make 20-40% of their revenue on Black Friday, they will make that money whether it is a three or four week shopping season. There is still a day after Thanksgiving

If I have ten people on my Christmas shopping list, I will buy ten presents regardless of how many days are between Thanksgiving and Christmas

It's about sales increases.
6 million more people bought on Thanksgiving Day in 2012 than they did in 2011.
Stores who open on Thanksgiving Day will increase their sales.
No they do not make that money when shopping days are cut short.
Not everyone stays on their budgets for Christmas. Most spend more than what they say they want to spend, especially when there is a great bargains.

Not everyone stays on their budgets for Christmas. Most spend more than what they say they want to spend, especially when there is a great bargains.

I still think stores are in a rob Peter to pay Paul dilemma

They can bump up when the Christmas shopping season begins and think they are making more money. But they are only shifting money from the back end

If I was going to buy a 32 inch flat screen TV and because of sales I now buy a 38 inch TV for the same money....have the stores made any additional money off of me?

Last edited:
Apparently, some people think thanksgiving is a religious holiday.

Weird.

God. They were very religious people.

"In 1621, when their labors were rewarded with a bountiful harvest after a year of sickness and scarcity, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God and celebrated His bounty in the Harvest Home tradition with feasting and sport (recreation). To these people of strong Christian faith, this was not merely a revel; it was also a joyous outpouring of gratitude.

The arrival of the Pilgrims and Puritans brought new Thanksgiving traditions to the American scene. Today’s national Thanksgiving celebration is a blend of two traditions: the New England custom of rejoicing after a successful harvest, based on ancient English harvest festivals; and the Puritan Thanksgiving, a solemn religious observance combining prayer and feasting."
Thanksgiving History | Plimoth Plantation

And the Injuns for showing them what crops to plant and harvest....I've never heard of an indian group other than AIM, the lunatic Sioux up in the Dakotas, wanting Thanksgiving done away with. It's probably the only day them and the white-eyes ever really got along. :lol:

Thanks to whom?

That's precisely what the debate, if we choose to call it that, is about along with a sense of propriety of whether employers should respect the traditional view of Thanksgiving and not schedule employees to work that day. I personally would prefer that, not because I have many warm fuzzy feelings about Thanksgiving, but because I looked forward to Thanksgiving because it was so often a great four day weekend for me. I was a battered child growing up in a seriously dysfunctional family, and holidays were some of the worst times. There are a few good memories in there but not enough to offset the bad ones. To this day, the only time I have to fight depression is during the holiday season. And though I have since learned to enjoy them, I am almost always glad when the holidays are over.

Once I got free of all that--just before my 18th birthday, I had to learn what was really important. We have since created some new traditions, but I keep it simple and fun and no longer do so much that I am so exhausted I can't enjoy my own parties. There is still a family expectation to get together when we can, but insistance that we do everything a certain way just doesn't factor into the equation. And if some of the group want to go shopping or a movie or do some other nontraditional thing on Thanksgiving, they have a ball doing that and come in glowing and laughing from the experience. For us, that is family time as much as the meal itself or watching football afterwards.

Which is why I recomend a live and let live attitude about it all. Those who HAVE to work on Holidays can simply schedule their celebration before or after. I did that for many years. Those who CHOOSE to work on holidays, most especially when they can make good money doing so and/or, as some have testified, escape unwanted expectations by others, should not be criticized. Those retailers who choose to open are simply doing business the public wants and I won't judge them.

There are enough people and enough choices to accommodate us all. There are far more evil things in the world than going out to shop on Thanksgiving afternoon or evening. (Even though I myself never do that.)

Last edited:

Edited to add -

I agree and wasn't responding to your post.

There are enough people and enough choices to accommodate us all. There are far more evil things in the world than going out to shop on Thanksgiving afternoon or evening. (Even though I myself never do that.)

Including shopping on line.

I really don't like to shop and much prefer to do it on line.

They can bump up when the Christmas shopping season begins and think they are making more money. But they are only shifting money from the back end

If I was going to buy a 32 inch flat screen TV and because of sales I now buy a 38 inch TV for the same money....have the stores made any additional money off of me?

It's about the people who were never going to buy a TV, a bigger TV for the same price, more would maybe think about buying it and some would.
SALES Rightwinger SALES

Edited to add -

At that time, when the Pilgrims were giving thanks to God, it was NOT a holiday. It didn't become a holiday until 1863. Thanksgiving is an Act of Congress by presidential authority. There is nothing to stop people from having Thanksgiving at any time they want. It's just not a holiday. In 1862, all the stores were open, people worked and never thought a thing of it.

I will work since I don't take holidays off. I will go out for dinner to a restaurant where people are working. As my usual practice I will thank the server for working on a holiday and leave an extra large tip. Not everyone has a family. Some would rather work than sit home alone. Some appreciate the extra money. Some come from other countries and don't recognize the holiday.

The Hallmark Card image of the happy family gathered aroun the dinner table, for the most part, never got off the card.

That may be your reality, but everyone I have ever known celebrates Thanksgiving just like you see on cards.

I hope the retailers take a bath that day, but I fear the disgusting incessant need for USELESS SHIT to fill the spiritual void in people will win out. I have no hope for society anymore.

It's about the people who were never going to buy a TV, a bigger TV for the same price, more would maybe think about buying it and some would.
SALES Rightwinger SALES

I know impulse buying comes into play. But I think the stores are only fighting among themselves for a finite Christmas pie. If I am going to spend $50 on a present for my aunt, I am not going to spend $70 because something is on sale. I may choose a different present , but I still spend $50

I do most of my shopping on line generally. Or, to a stand alone store. Malls are simply too dangerous. I don't what to fight with anyone, don't want to be caught in a lockdown, and don't want a follow-home.

Lincoln gave us Thanksgiving.

It had nothing to do with Indians.

"

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed. Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth."

Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

I do most of my shopping on line generally. Or, to a stand alone store. Malls are simply too dangerous. I don't what to fight with anyone, don't want to be caught in a lockdown, and don't want a follow-home.

I guess the post office needs work too.

I got some tips on how to bring down an assailant twice your size and you won't even have to do time for it.

Thanksgiving is a big day for unarmed assaults.

Forum List

Back