The death of Thanksgiving?

Will you shop on Thanksgiviong Day

• Total voters
Aw the memories of getting laid with the girlfriend in the back room while every moron was preoccupied with a turkey or a stupid fooootball game. The good old days.

stuffing.jpg

I love thanksgiving.

This year, I think it's just me and the two young kiddos...my oldest and his family are going over to the eastern part of the state. Which is sort of awesome...I'm only cooking for 3! I think we did the same thing last year! It's great! When I'm on the other side of the Cascades, I always end up cooking for EVERYBODY, and usually more than one time. One year, I think we managed to get 4 Thanksgiving dinners in over the course of the week, lolol...there was one at my mom's, one at my sister's, one at my house, one at church....I cooked for all of them. There might even have been another one in there somewhere...my son's or maybe my ex's family (before he was my ex).

I am not being defensive. I am being truthful about the way things are; the way I know them to be. I have no problem whatsoever with you and Nosmo or anybody else who loves the old fashioned traditional Thanksgiving. I can also appreciate those who don't have such fond memories of those times and aren't as tied to the traditional image. Or a younger generation who just doesnt want to do it that way any more. I honestly do know a lot of folks who WANT that holiday duty for the extra pay or to have extra time off later when they will appreciate it more. I don't see this as a horrible evil boss picking on his poor hapless employees as much as you do.

And I can still very much appreciate those who love and enjoy and preserve the old traditions.

I guess I am pushing for a live and let live attitude here. Those who want to go shopping should not feel guilty if they do so. Apparently enough WANT to do that to make it worthwhile for the stores to open.

And those who want a traditional Thanksgiving should have that.

Unfortunately it's kind of a self fulfilling prophesy. As more and more stores are open on Thanksgiving, fewer and fewer people will be able to stay home with their families and the traditional Thanksgiving day celebration will soon become a part of the past. I'm sorry to see it go, I've always felt it was an important part of the American tradition.

BTW, it is a NATIONAL Holiday, I really think stores and places that don't have to be open should close on our National Holidays. Kind of the American thing to do.

I lived in Austria for four years. There, everything is closed on national holidays and on Sundays. The Catholic Church is very strong there, and national holidays include most Catholic holidays. When I say everything is closed, I mean everything except cafes and restaurants. One reason is the unions, which are very strong there. But the reason people don't want to work on holidays is because holidays are for the family, and family is very important. These are days for the family to spend together, not to go their diverse ways or spend the day shopping. People seem to care more about that than making time and a half working on a holiday. As I am not religious, not Catholic, and wasn't paying much attention to when there might be a national holiday, in the beginning, I'd often get caught without food. I'd go out to buy food and find all the grocery stores closed. So, I'd have to search out a cafe with a bakery that sold sandwiches or an open fast food kiosk to get something to eat, or else spend more money than I wanted to at a restaurant. I learned to keep non-perishable food on hand in case that happened.

Although at first I found it annoying, I began to appreciate the idea of everything being closed on national holidays, and if those days are used for family time, then I think it is better for the culture. The thing is, Americans do not appreciate and value the family unit as they do in most European countries.

Used to be that grocery stores closed by 6 or 7. That's how 7-11 got it's name. When it came out, it was open from 7am to 11pm. I remember that we'd decide we wanted ice cream at 9pm, the only place to get it was 7-11. I've watched things change throughout my life and believe me when I say, at the current rate, in the next 20 years Thanksgiving will be best known as the 1st shopping day of Christmas. Too bad. Christmas has lost it's meaning as well. Too many gimmies, it's over commercialized.

I love thanksgiving.

This year, I think it's just me and the two young kiddos...my oldest and his family are going over to the eastern part of the state. Which is sort of awesome...I'm only cooking for 3! I think we did the same thing last year! It's great! When I'm on the other side of the Cascades, I always end up cooking for EVERYBODY, and usually more than one time. One year, I think we managed to get 4 Thanksgiving dinners in over the course of the week, lolol...there was one at my mom's, one at my sister's, one at my house, one at church....I cooked for all of them. There might even have been another one in there somewhere...my son's or maybe my ex's family (before he was my ex).

........and football.

Don't forget football.

The thing is, Americans do not appreciate and value the family unit as they do in most European countries.

Americans in general? You wanna reconsider that generalization?

I don't know, I think she's right. I have a Chinese friend who was lamenting how Americans don't stick together as a family. I pointed out my family and he said we were an anomaly. My husband's family was never that close. In fact some of them don't even speak to each other. That's the difference between Itailians and the Irish. When the Itialians have a disagreement, they stop speaking and hold a grudge. When the Irish have a disagreement, they don't stop speaking or they wouldn't have an excuse to yell.

Unfortunately it's kind of a self fulfilling prophesy. As more and more stores are open on Thanksgiving, fewer and fewer people will be able to stay home with their families and the traditional Thanksgiving day celebration will soon become a part of the past. I'm sorry to see it go, I've always felt it was an important part of the American tradition.

BTW, it is a NATIONAL Holiday, I really think stores and places that don't have to be open should close on our National Holidays. Kind of the American thing to do.

I lived in Austria for four years. There, everything is closed on national holidays and on Sundays. The Catholic Church is very strong there, and national holidays include most Catholic holidays. When I say everything is closed, I mean everything except cafes and restaurants. One reason is the unions, which are very strong there. But the reason people don't want to work on holidays is because holidays are for the family, and family is very important. These are days for the family to spend together, not to go their diverse ways or spend the day shopping. People seem to care more about that than making time and a half working on a holiday. As I am not religious, not Catholic, and wasn't paying much attention to when there might be a national holiday, in the beginning, I'd often get caught without food. I'd go out to buy food and find all the grocery stores closed. So, I'd have to search out a cafe with a bakery that sold sandwiches or an open fast food kiosk to get something to eat, or else spend more money than I wanted to at a restaurant. I learned to keep non-perishable food on hand in case that happened.

Although at first I found it annoying, I began to appreciate the idea of everything being closed on national holidays, and if those days are used for family time, then I think it is better for the culture. The thing is, Americans do not appreciate and value the family unit as they do in most European countries.

Used to be that grocery stores closed by 6 or 7. That's how 7-11 got it's name. When it came out, it was open from 7am to 11pm. I remember that we'd decide we wanted ice cream at 9pm, the only place to get it was 7-11. I've watched things change throughout my life and believe me when I say, at the current rate, in the next 20 years Thanksgiving will be best known as the 1st shopping day of Christmas. Too bad. Christmas has lost it's meaning as well. Too many gimmies, it's over commercialized.

That's because you're not 5 anymore.

It's always been like this for adults. You learn to appreciate Christmas more when you're stuck in some shit hole country and can't see your family or eat turkey or watch football.

They may not be dragging in customers, but they are dragging in their employees. Just to profit rather than allow their employees a day to do what they wish. And that includes family time.

What happened to "family values"? Does profit trump them? Or does "family values" mean something altogether different from family values?

Most peeps I know volunteer to work T-Day.

The upside is they get paid time and a half.

And the family knows you will be home soon as the store closes at whatever time, THEN eat. They work around the persons schedule. They understand.

You are assuming only one person in the family is working...a bad assumption in today's society. As bad as assuming they're all working the same hours. Nope, as the title says, this is gonna kill Thanksgiving.

I don't know, I think she's right. I have a Chinese friend who was lamenting how Americans don't stick together as a family. I pointed out my family and he said we were an anomaly. My husband's family was never that close. In fact some of them don't even speak to each other. That's the difference between Itailians and the Irish. When the Itialians have a disagreement, they stop speaking and hold a grudge. When the Irish have a disagreement, they don't stop speaking or they wouldn't have an excuse to yell.

When the Russians have a disagreement, they put a bullet in the back of your head and bury you in a field....

:eusa_shifty::lol:

I have zero problem with retailers being open on "holidays" I have zero sympathy for sales staff whining they want thanksgiving off.

The world does not stop becasue people want a day off..... sales people need to get a life...suck it the hell up. They to need to learn a something from the service industry.....Hospitals, hotels, airlines and airports, cops, firemen, caterers, restaurants....ect.. all work holidays.

Thank God for restaurants being open!

Our first Thanksgiving in California, we hadn't enough time to unpack, didn't know anyone and had our meal @ Denny's.

A memory none of us will ever forget!

I remember one of the years that my mother worked on Christmas. My dad decided we were all going out for dinner and we went to The Farm. It was kind of legendary around here. An old house on the highway. The woman's husband died and she needed something to do so she changed her house into a restaurant. Only two things on the menu each night. There was a piano and a small dance floor. My dad would dance with my mom and we'd eat and talk and because we were in a restaurant we were all on our best behavior. It was one of the best Christmas dinners and one of the few I remember so clearly. The Farm, btw is gone. It closed down years ago.

The thing is, Americans do not appreciate and value the family unit as they do in most European countries.

Americans in general? You wanna reconsider that generalization?

Our block in Detroit was Italian, the next block was Irish.....we'd walk past those mick bums and they'd call us "pizza *******" so we'd call their mothers "spud humpers" and it was ON. Can't count the times I got head-butted....their skulls are like rock. We usually whipped em though....when it got serious was "Bat Day" at Tiger Stadium.....after the game the cops got between us quick. :lol:

Last edited:
When I was a child holidays, including Thanksgiving was time to fight. It would start building with little snipes two weeks early building towards the big crescendo on the day. My parents had legenday holiday fights ending with mom throwing dinner on the floor and dad storming out vowing to never return.

The holiday fight was one tradition my husband (at that time) really appreciated. Not only would he fight with me, but my parents would show up to fight at my house. When my son was no longer a baby, I'd start cooking the night before, finish up early, and leave before it got too bad. In those days no stores were open. There was the park, Disneyland or Knotts if I had the money, a movie, and come home very late after everyone went tobed.

After my divorce, I had my very first Thansgiving totally alone. The very first one that was peaceful. It'smy tradition. Anyone who suggests "family" should be boiled in a plum pudding. I usually work but if the stores are open it will be a nice little break.

That's because you're not 5 anymore.

It's always been like this for adults. You learn to appreciate Christmas more when you're stuck in some shit hole country and can't see your family or eat turkey or watch football.

Thats the fuckin truth right there.

When I was a child holidays, including Thanksgiving was time to fight. It would start building with little snipes two weeks early building towards the big crescendo on the day. My parents had legenday holiday fights ending with mom throwing dinner on the floor and dad storming out vowing to never return.

The holiday fight was one tradition my husband (at that time) really appreciated. Not only would he fight with me, but my parents would show up to fight at my house. When my son was no longer a baby, I'd start cooking the night before, finish up early, and leave before it got too bad. In those days no stores were open. There was the park, Disneyland or Knotts if I had the money, a movie, and come home very late after everyone went tobed.

After my divorce, I had my very first Thansgiving totally alone. The very first one that was peaceful. It'smy tradition. Anyone who suggests "family" should be boiled in a plum pudding. I usually work but if the stores are open it will be a nice little break.

Ah....okay, I didn't know what your family life was when I jumped you about Thanksgiving. I apologize.
blush_zpseea8b0c2.png

Thanksgiving for us has traditionally been a time to reconnect with family and enjoy a sumptious repast that we determinably choose not to see as gluttenous. :)

But in all honesty Nosmo, for years I worked for hospitals that required periodic weekend and holiday duty and sometimes my shift would fall on Thanksgiving or Christmas or other special occasion. We just shifted whatever celebrations we had around my schedule at such times. And I appreciated the free time and/or double pay that I got for pulling duty at those times.

And now I don't have that problem, but we have folks come for the food and hugs on Thanksgiving, but an afternoon of sitting around in a stuffed stupor watching football just isn't their bag. So, unless they are into card or board games, they do go out after the noon meal and go to a movie or go shopping or do something else that is more fun for them. I see that as quality family time too and would rather them be enjoying themselves than wishing it all was just over.

Different strokes for different folks. Retailers won't open on Thanksgiving unless there is a proftable result from that and apparently there is. And those folks I know who work in retailing generally do so on a volunteer or short shift basis and they almost always get extra pay or extra time off for pulling that duty. None of them I've talked to mind it at all.

I see where you're coming from and how you're missing the traditions of the past. But almost nothing ever stays the same and judging from activity in the grocery stores ahead of Thanksgiving, I would say Thanksgiving is still being celebrated a lot.
I know there are folks employed at absolutely necessary workplaces like hospitals, fire stations, police precinct headquarters and ambulance services. But should retailers come up to that threshold? Should profits trump family?

Thanksgiving is cut short this year by almost a week.
Last year Thanksgiving was on Nov. 22.
This year it's on Nov. 28.
So yes in this case.
Businesses are cut short by almost a week, yes that cuts deeply into profits, especially in a slow economy like we are in now.
It's about businesses survival.
Nothing wrong with Family celebrating the Holiday and later going out to get good bargains for Christmas.
Shopping by consumers is also cut short this year.

not for me. I do a lot of shopping online now. I hate crowds. And I start my Christmas shopping right after Christmas. Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to presents I forgot I bought and hid being found in the summer. That's okay though, my family is starting to enjoy their middle of the year "surprises".

More retailers have announced they will open Thanksgiving Day for your shopping pleasure, so to speak. Is this appropriate?

Should Thanksgiving remain a holiday, unique to America, when families gather together to give thanks, share a meal and create their own Thanksgiving memories and traditions? Or should Thanksgiving be a day when Mom or Dad has to excuse himself and go to work because bargains are offered to shoppers readying themselves for a holiday happening four weeks hence?

Will you shop on Thanksgiving, or will you take advantage of the day and enjoy it with family and friends?

Sometimes bargains are not really worth it, don't you think? If they come at the expense of yours or the clerk's family, are they really bargains at all?

I think getting a deal is just as good as spending time with family and friends. Obama has been sticking it to us and we need to budget. It's ether that or no Christmas.

Besides, if some Native-American groups have their way, they would get rid of Thanksgiving.

Darn that Obama.

First he lowers taxes and then he lowers interest rates so people can refinance and be able to afford to stay in their homes.

Hasn't helped me at all. And my home already had a low interest loan. I didn't stupidly buy a mortgage I couldn't afford on an inflated price of a house. When I was offered Freddie or Fanny I turned them down. They either had adjustable rates or balloon payments. I bought a traditional loan, put 20% down and got a guaranteed interest rate that wouldn't change. We are almost paid off.

The first Thanksgiving was primarily held to celebrate that the Pilgrims had raided and wiped out a nearby tribe of Indians.

My family gets along great, because we all live at least 500 miles away from each other. One of my family members decided to start a tradition of all getting together forThanksgiving about 7 years ago. It was a disaster. It lasted about 3 years.

I do not enjoy football. My memories of Thanksgiving as I was growing up was to be trapped in the house for 4 days eating leftover turkey meal after meal after meal, listening to the adults fight and argue, with the television monopolized by the same, with no place to go, since everything was closed in the deep South for at least half the weekend, and all my friends were tied up with THEIR families.

In short, I hate Thanksgiving. I go to some place like Cracker Barrel, where I can get good Southern style cooking that has absolutely nothing to do with turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. I either assign the day to getting long overdue house cleaning done, or to pamper myself with a good book or movie. On Black Friday, I either never leave the house, or take a road trip to get complely out of an urban setting. I have not been in a shopping mall in 20 years, and I won't go within 10 miles of a Walmart on Friday. If I want to buy something, I buy it online and have it shipped to me through some guy who works for the USPS who needs the job.

Forum List

Back