The Deep Web you don't know about

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
By Jose Pagliery March 10, 2014:

Okay. This sounds like a conspiracy but has enough stuff in it to make it read as true.

What we commonly call the Web is really just the surface. Beneath that is a vast, mostly uncharted ocean called the Deep Web.

By its very nature, the size of the Deep Web is difficult to calculate. But top university researchers say the Web you know -- Facebook (FB, Fortune 500), Wikipedia, news -- makes up less than 1% of the entire World Wide Web.

And then it refers to Shodan - “the scariest search engine on the internet” [As such, I didn't bother to click on the link]

Read more @ The Deep Web you don't know about - Mar. 10, 2014

This was mentioned in an episode of House of Cards.
Sounds quite ominous.

Okay. This sounds like a conspiracy but has enough stuff in it to make it read as true.

What we commonly call the Web is really just the surface. Beneath that is a vast, mostly uncharted ocean called the Deep Web.

By its very nature, the size of the Deep Web is difficult to calculate. But top university researchers say the Web you know -- Facebook (FB, Fortune 500), Wikipedia, news -- makes up less than 1% of the entire World Wide Web.

And then it refers to Shodan - “the scariest search engine on the internet” [As such, I didn't bother to click on the link]

When I worked for the federal government, because of the things I heard on a daily basis, I had a clearance level that even allowed me access to the WH with only my work ID. And there was definitely something different about my computer and internet access. I know for a fact that doing a web search for anything on my work computer even with Google netted me a lot more results than my home computer did. If I couldn't find what I was looking for at home, I would try again at work and usually found it.

When I worked for the federal government, because of the things I heard on a daily basis, I had a clearance level that even allowed me access to the WH with only my work ID. And there was definitely something different about my computer and internet access. I know for a fact that doing a web search for anything on my work computer even with Google netted me a lot more results than my home computer did. If I couldn't find what I was looking for at home, I would try again at work and usually found it.

Yes, you gain access according to the level of your clearance. The same concept as the employee who works at Home Depot or Lowes. A sales employee who is in door dept can special order on the store computer but won't have clearance to add a discount, change an order, etc, so their supervisor can log in under their name and access whatever they need for the person who doesn't have it. Now there are certain things even that supervisor cannot do and they have to go to management or an expeditor who has full access and communicates with the home office and can immediately access any store in the country, etc.

Yes, you gain access according to the level of your clearance. The same concept as the employee who works at Home Depot or Lowes. A sales employee who is in door dept can special order on the store computer but won't have clearance to add a discount, change an order, etc, so their supervisor can log in under their name and access whatever they need for the person who doesn't have it. Now there are certain things even that supervisor cannot do and they have to go to management or an expeditor who has full access and communicates with the home office and can immediately access any store in the country, etc.

I'm referring to the web, not the government system. But, of course, as a clinician I had a lot more 'permissions' that most. I just had to use them appropriately. Just because I had access did not mean I could go snooping through my friends medical charts. Accessing a medical chart is on a 'need to know' basis. So, even though I could access all charts, I ONLY accessed those which were my patients or patients of someone I was covering for, or those management had assigned me to audit.

I thought it odd that so much more of the web was accessible to me from my work computer.

Forum List

Back