The Education Complex is Stupid: Part 1. "Build Relationships"

Lucky to survive. Sorry, I could not help it. Please see this as humor in light of things. Are you baiting me?
Not at all, just responding to something he said.
1721967682230.png

I ignore you because of who you are. I should of [sic] ignored when you put on the grammar police hat but iyou [sic] deserve to have your hypocrisy flagged.

I made my point. I will not engage with you. You must have noticed that I dont [sic] reply to you when you quote my posts.

You are not the first one to the dinner table, are you [sic].

I find you offensive and wrong, personally, [sic] nothing having to do with your comments.

Bye

As long as you're here, you might as well comment on the thread topic.

If the 6 year old is packing heat, the gym will not help. The teacher was luck to survive.

The 6 yo is throwing everything in the room, including furniture, and we are not allowed to touch him thanks to state laws on "disability"

The 6 year old stabs other kids with scissors and a pencil

Etc, etc, rinse and repeat

The 6 yo is throwing everything in the room, including furniture, and we are not allowed to touch him thanks to state laws on "disability"

If 6 year-olds are too much for you, maybe try working with one year-olds. Nah, you'd still bitch about it.

I am old fashioned, out of date, not suited to modern politically correct society.
You are describing the sham and shame of the modern litigious educational system. It was not always like this, nor should it have become. In many instances, you are not just a teacher, instructor, counselor, you are or should be an authority figure, a cop, if you will. Teachers do not wield deadly force, as cops sometime have to, to protect innocent bystanders and the cops themselves. Cops are assumed to have the advantage of established qualified immunity. Teacher used to, but it seems, no long do. They had this limited qualified immunity for generation upon generation. Corporeal punishment (getting to the seat of most common problems) was routine, expected, and supported by parents, who were actually familiar with the behavior of their kids in private and in public. If a kid's butt got an adjustment at school and parent was informed, the kid could expect the same or some other sort of punishment, at home. This is no long the case, to the point, you are forbidden from taking the necessary steps early on, that prevent serious problems, down the road, as you are (for some reason) no longer worthy of qualified immunity, enjoyed by police, though the vast majority have greater education in their field than the average cop on the street. This is the state of public education.

I bear you no ill will. I do not expect you to work in a chaotic environment with your hands tied. You generally deserve the scales of judgement tipped in your favor, from parents, the public and indeed your own faculty and school administration, but do not get it. It is important work, but is it important enough to put up with it? I would not. There are many other interesting and rewarding ways for educated people to make a living.

The chances of a 6 year-old packing heat are pretty slim. At the high school where I work, it's not all that uncommon. We have police dogs pass through the school at least once a week checking for drugs and weapons.
True, but you are familial with the incident. The same types of systemic failure that allowed the almost tragic story to take place are across the system.

True, but that's sort of a separate issue.
It seems (as an education outsider) all related. Back in the day, kids never thought they had leave to act out, as they do now, and they are supported by parents that allow it, not controlling at home, and backed by a system that does not support a teacher maintaining discipline in the class, as teachers are afraid (and for good reason if valuing there job, their career and their financial security) if they snatch up a kid, as needed at times, and in the story pointed out, quite necessary to search even for dangerous weapons. Acting out is protected to a great degree, while teacher intervention is discouraged, as if they were not intelligent to support their actions. In later years, without discipline instilled, the kids only become more dangerous and disruptive.

... Back in the day, kids never thought they had leave to act out, as they do now, and they are supported by parents that allow it, not controlling at home, and backed by a system that does not support a teacher maintaining discipline in the class,...

My students don't think they have leave to act out. They know I will not put up with anything like that, and their parents support me in that. Most of the "tough guys" in my classes are scared to death of their mothers (Latina mothers do NOT spare the rod). The school "system" supports me; campus monitors and the vice principals work with me to put a stop to any such thing as soon as it starts to emerge. They, and the students, know my goal isn't to punish first and ask questions later. My sincere goal is to help however I can. The vice principals can explain this to "problem" kids while letting them know that I respect them and care about them, but will take no shit. You gotta remember I don't work in some wealthy suburb. It's not that kind of environment. I have carried my share of students out of the classroom by the scruff of their neck when called for. Their parents expect no less. I physically separate fights ungently when that is what is necessary to prevent one or both (or more) participants from getting hurt. Used to be several times a day, then several times a week, and now several times a month as our new principal's harder line policies have started to make more of an environment of control. Kids want that, no matter what they say. Doesn't mean you can't maintain good humor and a very positive classroom.

Forum List

Back