The Ethics of Secrets

I see. So tell me something. If, instead of cheating on her, E and L had decided instead to steal J's jewelry and hock it, would that ALSO not have been up to anyone else to "decide right and wrong on"? I'm just curious as to what point you think you have a responsibility to your friends to protect them from being harmed. Myself, I would want my friends to be "busybodies" when it comes to protecting me.
Stealing jewelry is stealing. Having sex with someone else's lover is not stealing. Like I said, it would depend on which party I was closest to. And they would have to be very close friends before I would butt in.

Oh, okay, so causing harm mentally and emotionally is okay, but materially is a big no-no?

I'd call cheating a theft of trust, at the very least.
I think it's mistaken to assume you know what is considered cheating by other people in their own private relationships. Not everybody's standards are the same.

If J was a close friend of mine I'd tell her. If not or if both L and J were close friends of mine I'd keep out of it. If L were my friend, I'd certainly not tell J.

Mostly, though, I don't get too involved with the sex lives of teenagers.

No shit. If you're hanging around 16 yr olds because they're sexually involved with your friends, you have a serious problem somewhere down the line.

Stealing jewelry is stealing. Having sex with someone else's lover is not stealing. Like I said, it would depend on which party I was closest to. And they would have to be very close friends before I would butt in.

Oh, okay, so causing harm mentally and emotionally is okay, but materially is a big no-no?

I'd call cheating a theft of trust, at the very least.
I think it's mistaken to assume you know what is considered cheating by other people in their own private relationships. Not everybody's standards are the same.

If J was a close friend of mine I'd tell her. If not or if both L and J were close friends of mine I'd keep out of it. If L were my friend, I'd certainly not tell J.

Mostly, though, I don't get too involved with the sex lives of teenagers.

Do you actually know someone who considers secretly having sex with another person to NOT be cheating? And if you chose to allow J to be cheated on, would you expect her to continue being your friend after she found out?

And I think you people are way too focused on age instead of the ethical question posed. Are you telling me that you think ethics differ depending on the ages of people involved?

No shit. If you're hanging around 16 yr olds because they're sexually involved with your friends, you have a serious problem somewhere down the line.

I'm sorry to hear that you see people as big number signs. I just see them as people. Although as I said, it was never my idea for her to start coming along to group events in the first place.

I'm having a hard time keeping the story straight in my head and I think it's because we aren'y using real name.

I suggest B become renoite

D become Mountain Man

The 16 year old whose intitial I already forgot become Amanda

L can be Liability since he's right here and J can be JenT.

By the way, Anguille, how does your "none of my business" scenario account for the other issue I raised, namely the risk of disease? In this day and age, cheating on your partner isn't just tacky and mean, it's a health risk. By keeping his silence and allowing J to continue her relationship with an unfaithful man, he allowed her to be possibly exposed to disease. How does that factor in?

Not only that, it's illegal to have sex with a 16 y.o. So someone's in trouble.

Are you telling me that you think ethics differ depending on the ages of people involved?

Teens are not old enough to have become involved in serious long term committed relationships. Nor should they. They experiment and make mistakes and learn from it all. It's best not to interfere.

I'm having a hard time keeping the story straight in my head and I think it's because we aren'y using real name.

I suggest B become renoite

D become Mountain Man

The 16 year old whose intitial I already forgot become Amanda

L can be Liability since he's right here and J can be JenT.

No thanks. I'm sorry it's a problem, but obviously, I'm not willing to give out people's real names online.

Are you telling me that you think ethics differ depending on the ages of people involved?

Teens are not old enough to have become involved in serious long term committed relationships. Nor should they. They experiment and make mistakes and learn from it all. It's best not to interfere.

No, but they ARE old enough to catch HIV, hepatitis, etc. from sexual partners when they aren't aware that that person is exposing them. You don't think you need to "interfere" with that?

By the way, Anguille, how does your "none of my business" scenario account for the other issue I raised, namely the risk of disease? In this day and age, cheating on your partner isn't just tacky and mean, it's a health risk. By keeping his silence and allowing J to continue her relationship with an unfaithful man, he allowed her to be possibly exposed to disease. How does that factor in?
Are you so privy to their sex lives that you know none of them were using condoms?

Are you so privy to their sex lives that you know none of them were using condoms?

Are you so ignorant that you believe condoms provide 100% protection against all diseases? Even the ones they DO protect against have a failure rate, and some - like HPV - aren't prevented by condoms at all.

Are you so ignorant that you believe condoms provide 100% protection against all diseases? Even the ones they DO protect against have a failure rate, and some - like HPV - aren't prevented by condoms at all.

Since you don't think using condoms is the best protection available so far, and since you've designated yourself the Decider in who gets to have sex with who in your little group of friends why don't you just order them all to be celibate?

Forum List

Back