The Front Porch Swing

Well happy days. Our furnace went out and it's 5 degrees outside. So the gas company will be out today to fix it but there's an 8 hour window of time for them to get here. Lovely.

Go to a neighbor's house. Be careful in that cold, Sister.

I have to wait for the furnace guy and I'm the only one here now. I have a room heater in the room I am in and as soon as my husband gets home, if they aren't here yet, I'm going to my sister's with my daughter to hang out until they fix it. My daughter is only 4 so we'll stay there if we have to. Luckily, she's at daycare/preschool now.

Perfect timing for how cold it is out. They never break when it's warm huh? LOL

That is because you never use them when it is warm! ;)

Well happy days. Our furnace went out and it's 5 degrees outside. So the gas company will be out today to fix it but there's an 8 hour window of time for them to get here. Lovely.

I have to wait for the furnace guy and I'm the only one here now. I have a room heater in the room I am in and as soon as my husband gets home, if they aren't here yet, I'm going to my sister's with my daughter to hang out until they fix it. My daughter is only 4 so we'll stay there if we have to. Luckily, she's at daycare/preschool now.

OK, that's workable.

I hope you have space heaters.

Yeah, we have a big one for the room I'm in and another smaller one but we need more. The dogs and cats don't mind but I don't want my daughter to deal with it. Hopefully, it'll be an easy fix. Fingers crossed.

That is because you never use them when it is warm! ;)

Exactly, That's why the air conditioner always goes out when it's 100 degrees out and the guy can't get there to fix it for a week and it's going to be 90-100 that whole week and humid. Yep, it's happened. LOL Not as bad as when the power went out and we couldn't even use fans. That was no fun.

Yeah, we have a big one for the room I'm in and another smaller one but we need more. The dogs and cats don't mind but I don't want my daughter to deal with it. Hopefully, it'll be an easy fix. Fingers crossed.

The most likely failure is the ignitor element. Had one go out on me one winter and so I bought a spare ($35) just in case. Of course it never failed again after that because I had "insurance". :D

2nd most likely culprit will be the fan motor. If you can hear that running while it is trying to start up then that is not your problem. They probably have spare fans or can lay their hands on them within 24 hours.

Good luck and try and keep as warm as possible. :smiliehug:

That would be one of my favorite pastimes, touring historical mansions.

Have you ever seen The Breakers?

At the end of April, my BFF and I are going on a tour of the James Hill house in St. Paul.

No, I'm totally ignorant of the term, but after some appointments today, I will research that. Promise.

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION], is this what you meant?

The Breakers | Newport Mansions

Those homes are unbelievable. Wow.

Yes.

We have a gas stove so when it is really cold (our central heater broke down about 4 years ago and we never reparied it), we turn on the two burners on the stove. Warms up the whole house!! We never do it when not home though. We leave them on a few hours...turn them off...turn them back on a few hours. SIL was worried about dying from the gas and I said she never died from cooking on the stove for 4 hours, nor the oven being on for turkey dinners so why would it be any different? And it isn't.
Even my doc was complaining about his electric bill and I told him we use our gas stove burners and he said that was a great idea..he would do it himself. Last time I saw him I asked if he was warmer and he said oh hell yes! Those burners were a great idea!

The most likely failure is the ignitor element. Had one go out on me one winter and so I bought a spare ($35) just in case. Of course it never failed again after that because I had "insurance". :D

2nd most likely culprit will be the fan motor. If you can hear that running while it is trying to start up then that is not your problem. They probably have spare fans or can lay their hands on them within 24 hours.

Thanks, the fan runs when I started it up but the igniter doesn't light up so hopefully, that's an easy fix for them. We have a service plus plan so it'll be free.

We have a gas stove so when it is really cold (our central heater broke down about 4 years ago and we never reparied it), we turn on the two burners on the stove. Warms up the whole house!! We never do it when not home though. We leave them on a few hours...turn them off...turn them back on a few hours. SIL was worried about dying from the gas and I said she never died from cooking on the stove for 4 hours, nor the oven being on for turkey dinners so why would it be any different? And it isn't.
Even my doc was complaining about his electric bill and I told him we use our gas stove burners and he said that was a great idea..he would do it himself. Last time I saw him I asked if he was warmer and he said oh hell yes! Those burners were a great idea!

Hey, good idea!! We have a gas stove. I need the furnace fixed though living up here in the frozen tundra, LOL.

Thanks, the fan runs when I started it up but the igniter doesn't light up so hopefully, that's an easy fix for them. We have a service plus plan so it'll be free.

Yup, sounds like the igniter element to me by what you are describing. They usually carry a range of generic elements in their trucks so it should be fixed quite easily. (Even I can do it. :D)

We have space heaters that we use even though we have heat. It has been so cold here we use both.

Not being acclimated to the cold, I use the oil filled electric radiators when it gets cold here.

They get plenty hot - but the most important feature is that when I spaz and knock one over, I am in no danger of burning the whole place down.

Worth giving some consideration to, anyway.

Regards from Rosie

This is not acceptable. What's the current status.

Still waiting, I called at 1:00 and they'll be here before 9:00.

Good space heaters though? That helps. Also, when it's so cold that the furnace can barely cope, electric blankets are awesome.

We have space heaters that we use even though we have heat. It has been so cold here we use both.

Not being acclimated to the cold, I use the oil filled electric radiators when it gets cold here.

They get plenty hot - but the most important feature is that when I spaz and knock one over, I am in no danger of burning the whole place down.

Worth giving some consideration to, anyway.

Regards from Rosie

That's what I have and the nice thing is it radiates heat from all sides not just from the front. I keep it in the kitchen so it's nice a cozy out there.

We have those awesome cotton quilts on the bed, two of them in winter and throws in the living room. We stay warm but I don't know how it would be if the furnace went out.

Forum List

Back